• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Nintendo & Hal Labs own Escargoon?

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
AF0FB6C7-8EFF-461F-A45B-5B9827ACBBE7.png
12FE1848-E0D8-48C0-A2F2-A78A6D0DB124.png

I have been wondering about this question for a long time and I wanted to hear anybody else’s thoughts on this. Escargoon first appeared in Kirby: Right Back at Ya! in late 2001 as King Dedede’s right hand snail. In 2011 however, Escargoon made his once and only appearance in an official Kirby game, Kirby: Mass Attack. This raises so many questions concerning Escargoon and the rest of the characters in Kirby: Right Back at Ya! I went digging through the supposed credits of Kirby: Mass Attack, but didn’t see a single copyright involving Escargoon or anyone else from Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

Unless I’m missing something, Nintendo & Hal Labs still own Escargoon and can use him anywhere. It also seems like Hal Labs have been making more references to Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

With all these references, it makes you wonder why any original characters haven’t been translated to Kirby game lore. It’s understandable that not every character makes sense to return without any reasoning (ex. Tiff, Tuff, Sir Ebrum, Lady Like, etc), Escargoon would be one of the only few that could be accepted, it makes sense for a king to have a personal servant or assistant.

Another question I have is if Escargoon is owned by Nintendo & Hal Labs, would that mean he would be eligible for Smash. It’s a 99% guarantee that Escargoon will never be a playable character in a Smash Bros game, but is he still on the table? Lucario appeared in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew movie, before Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl even came out. I’m not trying to start a support thread for Escargoon, I am just curious.

Anyone have any thoughts on this situation?

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 334615View attachment 334616
I have been wondering about this question for a long time and I wanted to hear anybody else’s thoughts on this. Escargoon first appeared in Kirby: Right Back at Ya! in late 2001 as King Dedede’s right hand snail. In 2011 however, Escargoon made his once and only appearance in an official Kirby game, Kirby: Mass Attack. This raises so many questions concerning Escargoon and the rest of the characters in Kirby: Right Back at Ya! I went digging through the supposed credits of Kirby: Mass Attack, but didn’t see a single copyright involving Escargoon or anyone else from Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

Unless I’m missing something, Nintendo & Hal Labs still own Escargoon and can use him anywhere. It also seems like Hal Labs have been making more references to Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

With all these references, it makes you wonder why any original characters haven’t been translated to Kirby game lore. It’s understandable that not every character makes sense to return without any reasoning (ex. Tiff, Tuff, Sir Ebrum, Lady Like, etc), Escargoon would be one of the only few that could be accepted, it makes sense for a king to have a personal servant or assistant.

Another question I have is if Escargoon is owned by Nintendo & Hal Labs, would that mean he would be eligible for Smash. It’s a 99% guarantee that Escargoon will never be a playable character in a Smash Bros game, but is he still on the table? Lucario appeared in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew movie, before Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl even came out. I’m not trying to start a support thread for Escargoon, I am just curious.

Anyone have any thoughts on this situation?
That's a good question, personally I don't know

Last edited:
Top Bottom