• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Melee check for more L/R inputs after jump oos?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I have this weird habit of sometimes airdodging instead of using an aerial oos. Not all the time, but if it happens once it'll happen several times for the next few games: (example, Fair oos). I hold R (has spring but removed analog input), jump with X, and use a directional aerial with C-stick, still holding R until late into the jump. So far it hasn't occurred when I release R to press Z when nairing oos, or performing a rising fair/bair towards the right (hard to C-stick). Am I easing up on the R button and pressing it down again by accident when I jump+directional aerial, when my grip changes to input X --> C-stick? Or does Melee check again for L/R inputs after jumping, and releasing the L/R button is read as an air dodge in that situation?

The former is what I've reasoned out to be what's probably happening, but it really doesn't feel like I'm easing up on the R button at all. I don't think I hear the hard L/R click sound to indicate that it's being pressed again either. Is this a common issue for anyone else?

Last edited:

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
You should be releasing your trigger asap after you jump, because you need to press it again after your fair to l cancel. I personally use tap jump to get frame perfect oos aerials. To answer your question, no, only a full press will result in an air dodge so you must have done one accidentally in that clip.

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
Ive had the same problem, though it usually happens in practice (with much repitition of the same inputs) and not in a match.

I havent thought about it too much except to note that it's annoying.

No idea regarding how the game code reads the inputs though. I'd say practice to avoid doing it. Try another controller if it doesnt improve.

My suspicsion is that the trigger may not hit the actual input pad perpendicularly depending on the direction of the applied force from your finger. This could leave opportunity for your finger to slide around and change the force vector resulting in periods where the trigger to input interface could lose contact momentarily. If this is the case, you just need to be more precise with your inputs. However, this could happen more frequently with a worn controller that may have some slight warping among the internal plastic components.

Just speculation...

Top Bottom