• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Luigi's D-Tilt or Dash attack have any good uses?

Wishz

Smash Rookie
I get scared to use his d-tilt sometimes and I can't think of any good uses for his dash attack. There's gotta be something amirite

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Not really. Some might say it's alright over the ledge, but I think Ftilt or Dtilt will always be better options.
Although, if you do accidentally use it, you can make something out of it if the opponent reacts (very) incorrectly, possibly even an Up-B.

Wishz

Smash Rookie
I can't think of a situation where I would use D-tilt though. Any thoughts?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Oh, somehow I didn't actually read that part.
To be honest, I haven't managed to fully integrated dtilt into my game, but what I've been toying with is
Jab hitconfirm -> Dtilt
Double fair -> Dtilt
Fair -> Nair -> Dtilt
These are only against shields, though, as dtilt has massive shield damage. Simply WD'ing in whith Dtilt (possibly following a Fireball) can also be effective if your opponent shields predictably.
Also, if you can surprise an off-stage fastfaller with it, its low knocback can leave them in a terrible position.

Wishz

Smash Rookie
Okay I went into training and im seeing that d-tilt is amazing against shields.. Luigi slides back so far it's kinda unpunishable and it eats shields.. thanks dude

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
D-Tilt eats shields and safely pushes you away (if the opponent has their shield up). If you want to go for shield pressure and pop their bubble to go for an easy SJP at the end of the day, link it after either your 1st or second Jab if you catch your opponent in shield during the combo. If it doesn't break? No probs, you're pushed away to safety...where you can continue to work on breaking the shield. If it does...well...I don't need to tell you that. ;)

Also, Dash attacks are great to push shielded opponents towards the edge of the stage off the stage. If you learn those matchups right, you can place yourself appropriately for a followup Dair for kill/punish maximization.

Last edited:

Elza~

Smash Cadet
D-tilt will only push you away safely against characters that don't have a tether to shield grab you with. Keep that in mind.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
D-tilt will only push you away safely against characters that don't have a tether to shield grab you with. Keep that in mind.
In those cases, if you're that close you're best going for a grab since those grabs are so slow (except Lucas).

Elza~

Smash Cadet
In those cases, if you're that close you're best going for a grab since those grabs are so slow (except Lucas).
Actually, Link's is pretty quick. The slowest would be ZSS.

The only thing really slow about them is the recovery frames.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
So I was trying out "jab" resets with dtilt, into grab of course, but I'd keep jabbing instead. I don't seem to have this problem if I just hold shield and mash A for grab, and in fact it feels like the move ends sooner.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I really know how far Luigi is pushed back from d-tilt on shield, but couldn't your opponent just WD OOS to punish?

Elza~

Smash Cadet
So I was trying out "jab" resets with dtilt, into grab of course, but I'd keep jabbing instead. I don't seem to have this problem if I just hold shield and mash A for grab, and in fact it feels like the move ends sooner.
To my knowledge, there isn't a way to shorten the length of time D-tilt is active.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Also, Dash attacks are great to push shielded opponents towards the edge of the stage off the stage. If you learn those matchups right, you can place yourself appropriately for a followup Dair for kill/punish maximization.
as much as i see where youre coming from, any time that you would use a dash attack in this situation, i think ftilt would be the better option. the only time that the dash attack would push them off the ledge is if they were literally teetering on it. any other time, simple shield DI would prevent you from being hit off.

I really, truly believe that luigi with his dash attack is in possession of the worst move that has ever went through a smash game. just how punishable it is on hit, how much lag there is afterwards, and how little reward it gets you just kinda baffles me. as much as I can sort of see some use for it on the edge where it might gain you something, there are tons of better options that luigi has between ftilt, fsmash, dsmash, dair, etc.

youre not wrong.. but i just feel that even in the situation you described its not worth it.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Dash attack is pretty much worthless. Honestly he'd better off without it, because you will get punished hard if you accidentally do a DA. It's literally the worst move in the game.

As for dtilt, i dont use it much, but it's shield damage is phenomenal, akin to mr saturn. It does 15% damage with no kb if it hits the opponent, but if it hits a shield, it will grow extremely small. Great way to mix up your jab combos and wavedash in approaches.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
Quick question for my slippery friends. How should I DI Luigi's dash attack if I do happen to find myself caught in it? Thanks all!

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Quick question for my slippery friends. How should I DI Luigi's dash attack if I do happen to find myself caught in it? Thanks all!
Just crouch cancel it. And then punish, or just shield grab. You also go no where, so you can just take the damage and still punish him easily, with no DI. If you're caught in the air with his DA, then DI up and away.

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
I really, truly believe that luigi with his dash attack is in possession of the worst move that has ever went through a smash game..
Dash attack is pretty much worthless. Honestly he'd better off without it, because you will get punished hard if you accidentally do a DA. It's literally the worst move in the game.
Luigi's dash attack is terrible, yes... but it's not remotely the worst move in the game. Remember Jigglypuff's B-Up, Sing? :tired:

Seriously though, if you think you've found a use for Luigi's dash attack, use a different attack instead. Do not ever dash attack with Luigi because it is never safe. At least they buffed it in 3.5 so it isn't quite so easily punished if you use it by accident... but it is still not worth using.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Yeah I agree. Dash attack is a bad option 99% of the time. There are very few situations where it would work, but there is always a better option. I have broken shields with the last hit of it before, but a good player would be sure not to let that happen. To those who say it's good for edge guarding, I would argue that you could be using a more lethal move instead and secure your kill more safely and faster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom