• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does liking a character matter?

Is maining characters that you like a good idea?

• Yes, it's important to like your character.

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Yes, maining someone you like is okay.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • No, you should focus solely on playstyle.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No. They're just a bunch of hurtboxes anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This is something that's been bothering me a bit;

How much does liking your main matter?

For me, even if I suddenly discovered that I was, say, the best :dedede: in the world, I still wouldn't be a Dedede main because I don't like him. I don't find him rewarding or enjoyable to play as, so even if I had skill with him (This is hypothetical. I'm awful as him.), practicing with him would be tedious and ultimately not worth it in my eyes.

Yet, I also keep hearing people say that it doesn't matter in the least, that playing as characters that you enjoy is not just unimportant but shallow and foolish.

I want to get the player base's general consensus on the matter.

GabPR

Smash Lord
This aint melee, if your good you are able to do good with any character you like. If you have trouble in certain matchups you could always get a secondary, and there is more than enough variety to like more than 1 character in this game.

Royal-X

Smash Ace
I wouldn't let other people's opinions affect who I play. Also liking a character could go both ways. I can like what they represent but I can also enjoy their playstyle and archetype. This is my case as a Mewtwo main since I enjoy the pokemon series and also enjoy Mewtwo's playstyle and tech. I'd say liking a character matters I'm the end. If you like x character you're more likely to get better with them or at least try to improve with them.

Foo

Smash Lord
This is something that's been bothering me a bit;

How much does liking your main matter?

For me, even if I suddenly discovered that I was, say, the best :dedede: in the world, I still wouldn't be a Dedede main because I don't like him. I don't find him rewarding or enjoyable to play as, so even if I had skill with him (This is hypothetical. I'm awful as him.), practicing with him would be tedious and ultimately not worth it in my eyes.

Yet, I also keep hearing people say that it doesn't matter in the least, that playing as characters that you enjoy is not just unimportant but shallow and foolish.

I want to get the player base's general consensus on the matter.
I mean, I feel like unless you are a super dooper good player capable of making lots of money with tournaments and sponsors and love competing, your main should always be your favorite character. However, if you are that type of player, then it's completely fine to pick whichever character you think you have to best chance of winning with, like fox. Another case is, say you had lots of characters you liked, but the character you liked the most was... ganon, and you also liked roy. It'd be a good decision to pick roy as your main if you like playing and winning in tournaments

If you are just playing this game for fun though, picking the character that is the most fun to you is the most important decision to make, because your goal IS to have fun.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
This aint melee, if your good you are able to do good with any character you like. If you have trouble in certain matchups you could always get a secondary, and there is more than enough variety to like more than 1 character in this game.
Olimar and ic excluded
@~Dad~ @PMS | Tail
Gotta remind these fools those 2 are gutter trash, every chance we get.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I mean, I feel like unless you are a super dooper good player capable of making lots of money with tournaments and sponsors and love competing, your main should always be your favorite character. However, if you are that type of player, then it's completely fine to pick whichever character you think you have to best chance of winning with, like fox. Another case is, say you had lots of characters you liked, but the character you liked the most was... ganon, and you also liked roy. It'd be a good decision to pick roy as your main if you like playing and winning in tournaments

If you are just playing this game for fun though, picking the character that is the most fun to you is the most important decision to make, because your goal IS to have fun.
You make a good point there with the Ganon/Roy thing. For example, as much as it pained me, I had to drop Yoshi because he just feels so lifeless and stiff here compared to the canon games.

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
A little late I know but I main Luigi always have even in 64 and...well he's not very good in 64 but I believe you need to like your main to feel rewarded for playing the game at all but if you despise your main but are good that's fine for you

CORY

wut
BRoomer
foo summed it up. if your goal is to win, **** everything else (regardless of your reasoning), then liking the character doesn't matter.

if your goal isn't to have the highest chance of winning, no matter what, then just pick who you like to play the most and deal with your lumps when your choice of solo maining ganon comes back to bite you in the ass with his range of horrible matchups that occur frequently in brackets.

(yep, livin' that life.)

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
cory you are so cool i <3 u let's hangout later in the backroom ok

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
Why would you play this game if not for personal enjoyment? Yes, there's money in it at the highest level, but if that's why you're playing, there are much more efficient ways to make money, even within the world of gaming. There is no reason why you shouldn't play a character you like to play, and I think enjoying your character's playstyle should ultimately be the defining factor that decides your main. In Project M at least, every character has a fighting chance, so why not pick your favorite?

True Fool

Smash Ace
Personally, I wish everyone would play their fave. But in Project M, most people can and do. I'm a gigantic Fire Emblem nerd, and so I main Ike, and secondary Marth and Roy, as well as Ganon for my Zelda villain love. Thankfully none of my characters are bad, and I always have an alternate if necessary.

However, people can and should play characters they like soley for their movesets, and frequently most good movesets are also fun to play. I'm not going to fault anyone who doesn't play StarFox but still enjoys playing the characters.

So really, as long as you're having fun, I don't have any opinion on how much of your main's "lore" you're familiar with.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It's hard to get far if you aren't enjoying what you're doing. I would argue that liking the character's playstyle is more important than just liking the character itself, but as long as there's something that makes you enjoy playing them and enjoy playing the game, that's all that matters.

Hard to stay motivated enough to reach the very top if it's something you hate doing. And that can be applied to just about anything, not just Smash.

Mejai

Hand of God, Touch of Death
Your enjoyment of a character may come and go, if you are playing to win then you should go with your best character albeit it may not be the one you enjoy the most anymore. Sometimes the novelty of a character wears off and you want to go exploring into other characters, that's totally fine. In the end we're all just playing a game, so I say you should have fun; if you aren't having fun, then you're doing something wrong.

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
I think liking a character is really important. For example, Mewtwo (Melee and Wii U) has a horrible move set (none of his B moves are useful, except for maybe shadowball). If I didn't like Mewtwo, I would never even play that character. However, since I really like Mewtwo, I began to main him and work my way for the win condition.

Top Bottom