• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Falcon REALLY Win This Matchup?

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I have definitely seen good Falcons beat good Marths, but does Falcon really have the advantage? I know they say a defensive Falcon is deadly in this MU, but what about a defensive Marth? Marth can completely slow Falcon down with literally every attack he has. Marth has the advantage of not having to throw his hurtboxes out when he throws out attacks, which in my opinion is one of Falcon's biggest weaknesses, with his limbs being as long as they are.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Who's saying Falcon REALLY wins the matchup? Marth players just need to stop jumping so much vs Falcon, they need to stay grounded, get grabs under 30%, and study the Kadano up-throw flowchart. Also study anytime PP has played vs a Falcon.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Honestly, I've heard this question come up a lot during the between-match filler commentary (I think at EVO), and it seems that there's no solid consensus except that one of them has a slight advantage. How good/bad this MU is for either side is nothing to worry about.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I've heard this question come up a lot during the between-match filler commentary (I think at EVO), and it seems that there's no solid consensus except that one of them has a slight advantage. How good/bad this MU is for either side is nothing to worry about.
Well I actually play both Falcon and Marth, and I would like to main Falcon, but this and the Falco matchup are what's holding me back. I posted the question here so I could hear what Marth players thought.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Well I actually play both Falcon and Marth, and I would like to main Falcon, but this and the Falco matchup are what's holding me back. I posted the question here so I could hear what Marth players thought.
To be honest, you should worry WAY more about Falco than Marth. Falco-Falcon is rough for Falcon. And that's not even really my Falco bias speaking lol

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, you should worry WAY more about Falco than Marth. Falco-Falcon is rough for Falcon. And that's not even really my Falco bias speaking lol
Strangely enough, Falco is a little easier for me. Marth I have always struggled with though.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Strangely enough, Falco is a little easier for me. Marth I have always struggled with though.
General agreement is basically that Falco murders Falcons very soul. As far as the Marth-Falcon MU goes specifically, I believe I recall M2K saying he used to think Falcon won it, but once he started consistently SDIing the uair strings down and in and developed a bit more of a neutral, he thought it was 55-45 in Marth's favor. Not a real disadvantage imo.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
General agreement is basically that Falco murders Falcons very soul. As far as the Marth-Falcon MU goes specifically, I believe I recall M2K saying he used to think Falcon won it, but once he started consistently SDIing the uair strings down and in and developed a bit more of a neutral, he thought it was 55-45 in Marth's favor. Not a real disadvantage imo.
I think the main disadvantage is just that Marth doesn't have to make any of the risks that Falcon does.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I mean, Falcon doesn't have to approach if he doesn't want to, and his DD game combined with how ridiculously far one SH lets him travel means he threatens a tremendous amount of space at once. If you can get comfortable right outside Marth's range and watch out for dtilt (counterplay being an aerial where he'd retreat towards to) then you should be okay. Watching some top Falcon's play this MU should help tbh.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Falcon doesn't have to approach if he doesn't want to, and his DD game combined with how ridiculously far one SH lets him travel means he threatens a tremendous amount of space at once. If you can get comfortable right outside Marth's range and watch out for dtilt (counterplay being an aerial where he'd retreat towards to) then you should be okay. Watching some top Falcon's play this MU should help tbh.
I watch S2J, Darkrain and SS sometimes but usually they lose against Marth. Scar vs Blur and Scar vs Ken have helped me out a little bit, but not too much.

T^2

Smash Cadet
I watch S2J, Darkrain and SS sometimes but usually they lose against Marth. Scar vs Blur and Scar vs Ken have helped me out a little bit, but not too much.
Theres a set that axe and westballs played with marth and falcon that shows how badly they combo each other. I suggest watching that. now to mycommentary on the mu for falcon: Nair is falcons best aerial to keep out marth, and after they stop running into it you have all the power. I know that sounds weird but by establishing Nair as a defensive move you can switch it up and go on the offense with it since theyll be expecting a more in place Nair vs an aggressive one. Besides that, dd grab to punish whiffed aerials and now you're on the winning side!

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
You can actually still learn a lot from watching somebody lose a match. If you know the mistakes they were making and can figure out counterplay, you're in a good position.

T^2

Smash Cadet
You can actually still learn a lot from watching somebody lose a match. If you know the mistakes they were making and can figure out counterplay, you're in a good position.
You seem like a really knowledgable guy hector, I'm glad you're helping educate the people reading this thread (Including myself).

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
You seem like a really knowledgable guy hector, I'm glad you're helping educate the people reading this thread (Including myself).
I used to play Marth before switching to Falco, and on top of that I had the issue of having very few locals around me (then got carpal tunnel as the locals started up RIP). Anyways, lacking the availability of in-person practice has forced me to come up with other ways to learn aspects of the game. I also read through a lot of stuff here on Smashboards to help get ideas.

T^2

Smash Cadet
I used to play Marth before switching to Falco, and on top of that I had the issue of having very few locals around me (then got carpal tunnel as the locals started up RIP). Anyways, lacking the availability of in-person practice has forced me to come up with other ways to learn aspects of the game. I also read through a lot of stuff here on Smashboards to help get ideas.
Where I live in Ohio dosen't exactly have the best scene, and I can pretty handily beat the people that live close to me, so i've started doing matchup ideas and theories with what I know about the game, but there's always more to learn. That's why I'm on smashboards nowadays, to help people with stuff they're struggling with or to brainstorm ideas for how to revolutionize matchups to bring characters up the tier list. Sucks about the carpel tunnel, I just found out that a college close to me does weeklies but they stopped when the school year ended so no tournies for me RIP lol.

T^2

Smash Cadet
by the way, watching blur is not how you wanna learn to play lol. he has a lot of bad habits and his neutral game is a little choppy. plus, he lost to a kirby that wasn't RRR. Not someone you wanna watch for matchup tips.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
by the way, watching blur is not how you wanna learn to play lol. he has a lot of bad habits and his neutral game is a little choppy. plus, he lost to a kirby that wasn't RRR. Not someone you wanna watch for matchup tips.
I was mostly watching Scar and Ken.

Top Bottom