• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does dthrow chaingrab or dthrow/utilt/regrab work on any characters?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I've done it a few times on the floatier characters in practice, but I wanna know if it actually works in battle vs a person. And if it does work, against which characters?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Play against an actual human instead of posting here, it'd probably be faster.
Just so you know, it can work, if the player doesn't do anything. For realz: NO, doesn't work.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah down throw gets you a nair in the face versus most characters, you can't chain with it at all really. don't try to chain grab just use grabs to set up for nairs uair/fair combos or edge guards. fthrow can chain a-la marth but I can't get that too consistent versus anyone and it just gets your damage up <.<

dthrow to tech chance is good on fast fallers. better on fast fallers on platforms. great if you don't use it on floaties, ever.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Ok, so for chain-grabs it goes like this:
about 50% you can chain-grab fast-fallers. I only really get this down easy on Fox, as I play against that character more than Falco or C. Falcon. Usually when I go against those two I just U-throw to an attack instead of grabbing again, unless I see they don't DI, then I just grab, shock, and U-throw to get a DI and hit 'em.
However, when Fox DI's behind me I notice I miss him a lot, I haven't checked on AR if it's impossible to chain-grab him with a good DI backwards, but I'm pretty sure it is, I just don't expect it and usually just go for an attack anyway.
About 120% is when he can jump out of it or something and at that point I will N-air him to his death or an edge-guard.

Tech Chasing is usually easier.

Also, Grab resets are good. When I know I can't chain a grab, I will D-tilt and reset them so they're standing on the ground not knowing what's going on and I grab 'em again and U-throw and check the DI for a chain or a combo.

Usually I follow up an U-throw with a F-air to U-air to N-air/B-air/D-air to get them off the stage and rack up a bit of damage (on both of us, haha)

On bigger, heavier characters you can probably get a F-throw chaingrab on them, but good players will probably know to DI away and hit you with a fast attack (like Bowser's Whirling Fortress, the Up+B). But I have successfully chained F-throws on them and frustrated them that much, after about 5 throws like that U-throw into a combo and edge-guard from there.
F-throws work like a charm against walls like the tree in Pokemon Stadium (counterpick!) After they get to about 50% U-throw/d-throw to an U-Smash and Thunder, Pichu is too good. That is the Chain Lighting Chain Grab (as I showed in my Chain Lightning video on Peach on Peach's Castle).

D-throws are good for tech chases. I usually run to where they'll go and U-smash, although a D-smash could be useful at the edge. I've been working on getting the Agility (Up+B) to the frame to see if I could get that work with tech chases.

That's all I can think of right now.

Top Bottom