• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does captain falcon suffer more hitstun than other characters?

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
I was testing out some uptilt and upthrow combos with rest and captain falcon gets thrown higher than fox and falco, but stays in hitstun longer than fox and falco when he is uptilted. What is up with that? I also notice that combo videos featuring captain falcon as the victim tend to have him being infinitely juggled until he is K.O.'d

Last edited:

Heavy Gomez

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyGomer
hitstun is dependent on knockback, the farther you're knocked away the more hitstun you'll have. falcon gets thrown higher than fox and falco cause his falling speed is slower, resulting in more hitstun.

Last edited:

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
Out of my testing against the top 10 characters on the melee tier list, captain falcon is the ONLY one that I can uptilt rest at 90%. Every other character was able to jump away before our models lined up. It just seems weird to me.

Basically concluding in a non-DI'd uptilt meaning certain death in the Jigs CF matchup.

Last edited:

Coyle

Smash Cadet
hitstun is dependent on knockback, the farther you're knocked away the more hitstun you'll have. falcon gets thrown higher than fox and falco cause his falling speed is slower, resulting in more hitstun.
To clarify, falling speed and hitstun/weight are independent of one another, even though they both affect the resulting vertical/horizontal movement. A fast falling character does not have to be heavy (See Fox and Samus). Weight is how much a character resists knockback. According to ssbwiki.com, Falcon has weight of 104, Falco 80, and Fox 75 (73 in PAL).

You then would want to look at the falling speed of the characters. 3.1 for Falco, 2.9 for Falcon, and 2.8 for Fox - they are roughly the same. So if thrown in the same direction and at the same percents, Fox should go the farthest, followed by Falco, and then Falcon.

Let's do some math for funzies. Using the equation for knockback (from here), and the knockback/damage attributes of Puff's up-tilt (from here) we can compare knockback and hitstun dealt to Falcon/Falco/Fox when they are at 90%. Hitstun = knockback * 0.4.

Character | Knockback Dealt | Hitstun Frames
Falcon | 143.1 | 57.25 (0.95 sec)
Falco | 154 | 61.6 (1.027 sec)
Fox | 156.6 | 62.7 (1.045 sec)

So while there is only a 7.1% difference in hitstun between Falcon and Falco in this situation, there is a 23.1% difference in their falling speed. Falcon's weight keeps him from being thrown far, and his falling speed brings him close enough to get rested while in hitstun. Couple this with Falcon's larger hurtbox frame, and it becomes clearer why this can be done to him.

Here's the rest of "top 10" and their figures when in the same situation:
Falling speed / Weight / Knockback / Hitstun
Marth: 2.2 / 87 / 150.5 / 60.22 (1.004 sec)
Sheik: 2.13 / 90 / 149.1 / 59.65 (0.994 sec)
Pikachu: 1.9 / 80 / 154 / 61.6 (1.027 sec)
Dr. Mario: 1.7 / 100 / 144.8 / 57.90 (0.965 sec)
Ice Climbers: 1.6 / 88 / 150.1 / 60.03 (1.0005 sec)
Peach: 1.5 / 90 / 149.1 / 59.65 (0.994 sec)
Jigglypuff: 1.3 / 60 / 165.6 / 57.90 (1.104 sec)

Last edited:
Top Bottom