• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone use the 3DS as a controller for competitive smash?

Mehdiocre

Smash Rookie
I'm aware that the controller is generally frowned upon, especially in the competitive scene. However, is there anyone out there who plays competitively that doesn't mind or even likes the controller?

I'm looking to get the 3DS version of Smash for myself so I can hone my skills on the go, but I don't want to get too used to it if the thing is an inherent disadvantage.

theMichael

Smash Rookie
I used to use the 2ds for the same reason. Quite liked it but got hand cramps from it's shape after a while. I'm no pro but if it's comfortable and feels alright, no reason not to use it. The gcc would probably have the most optimal analog stick but muscle memory is pretty important.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Nowadays, using the 3DS as your controller is completely allowed.
The reason nearly everyone is going to discourage you from using 3DS as your controller is because it's not at all an optimal controller to use.
Subjectively speaking, it can be good and comfortable for some people out there. Objectively speaking, however, it's not a good controller for this game. If you like the 3DS layout and find it comfortable, then get a Wii U Pro Controller. It's what I did.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I've used 3DS in every tournament I've been to. As long as you haven't relied on a c-stick or an extra trigger beforehand, you should be fine. I play on my 3ds more than my Wii U and I hate the Gamecube controller layout, so I use 3ds primarily.

There are limits though. While it hasn't happened to me, some venues can be affected by wireless interference and the control stick is fragile, so if you're too rough with it doing advanced movement it can break (this hasn't happened to me either).

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Once I played with the 3ds controller at my house on the wii u and it desynched and sometimes the inputs can lag behind and register late or be missed altogether. Just a precaution.

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
I've only played Sm4sh on the 3DS, and I got to tell you that the controls feel much more stiff than playing with the GameCube controller, the Wii U Pro controller, or even the Wii U pad itself. The C-stick on the 3DS is easily the biggest reason why playing Smash on the 3DS isn't an optimal way to play well in my opinion, because it's really hard to space my opponent well compared to playing with an analog stick. It's not impossible to become pro on Sm4sh with the 3DS, but it's much harder to control than playing with a controller. I honestly wish that I have enough money to afford the Wii U for Sm4sh, so I can have a better experience with it.

Last edited:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
Couple years ago, I got beat by a 15 year old kid using a 3DS controller. I've had nightmares ever since. (Just kidding lol)

Top Bottom