• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Anyone Still Push Zelda?

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
You see, I've been a Zelda main in Brawl for a long time now, and I've done whatever I can to improve with her. I never stop learning, and I'm always trying out new things in hopes of discovering something that can add to the character's play-style. For many days now, I've also done research on the character at plenty of places to see what I'm missing out on and what information will help me. If anything though, I've noticed that the Zelda boards here don't have as much activity as I hoped (minus the social thread, which is nice to see). I'm aware that Brawl is getting kind of old now, but it made me think about if anyone's still trying to extend the character's limits. :confused:
For any Zelda mains out there, do you still try to improve? Do you think Zelda has any chance at all of reaching good placements in tournaments?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I mean.....I still place very well down here in FL but there's a general lack of tourneys and stuff. I still practice weekly. Nothing really new with her, it comes down to fundamentals, and applications of subtle pressure.

Personally I've been reinventing my play style with both Zelda & Sheik by merely walking and powrshielding. Not many approach options so just gotta get hilariously creative.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
I mean.....I still place very well down here in FL but there's a general lack of tourneys and stuff. I still practice weekly. Nothing really new with her, it comes down to fundamentals, and applications of subtle pressure.

Personally I've been reinventing my play style with both Zelda & Sheik by merely walking and powrshielding. Not many approach options so just gotta get hilariously creative.
Ah, I see. So far, I've only been approaching with moves like Fair or Nair. I have a bit of trouble approaching in general, so I usually wait to see what they do (or bait something) just to approach with an attack. I still have to practice my powershielding to approach characters like Toon Link.
Anyhow, it's good to see someone still uses her in tournaments.

f u j i n

Banned via Warnings
Ah to see fresh meat, it makes me nostalgic.

I remember the good ol days when I still tried to improve or discover new things with Zelda.

Zelda is bad, everyone accepts this(except maybe Ed?), no matter how good you are with her, you will lose to top players if they know the match up.
Unless it's like another low tier.

We all spent years doing what you're doing now, she's a very one dimensional character with a simple and bad metagame.
If you're looking for new things jut go through the guides and Kayla's info thread.

If you're hoping to make her better, you're outta luck kid.

gamenmetstormnl

Smash Rookie
NNID
1trollface1
3DS FC
5069-4677-3059
I use farore's wind to confuse my brother because I approach,space or just come back at the same place.

but this is just my novice experience....

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
Ah to see fresh meat, it makes me nostalgic.

I remember the good ol days when I still tried to improve or discover new things with Zelda.

Zelda is bad, everyone accepts this(except maybe Ed?), no matter how good you are with her, you will lose to top players if they know the match up.
Unless it's like another low tier.

We all spent years doing what you're doing now, she's a very one dimensional character with a simple and bad metagame.
If you're looking for new things jut go through the guides and Kayla's info thread.

If you're hoping to make her better, you're outta luck kid.

Forget it! I'm not a Zelda main, but she's still one of my best characters! I refuse to sit here and let you ruin her name! Maybe she's a little slower than I'd like sometimes, maybe she has trouble approaching, but I believe Zelda's a good character! Another thing! If your taking down other people who consider themselves to be awesome at the game, so awesome that other people downright refuse to play against them, and all your friends say "Oh God!" every time you choose her, I'd say she's pretty good! Why are you guys following the tier list like a bunch of blind bats? At the end of the day, it's just a list! I know it seems like I'm just venting, and maybe I am, but I'm tired of hearing people say Zelda's bad. I can't tell you how many high tier characters I've utterly CRUSHED with Zelda.

Spirst

Forget it! I'm not a Zelda main, but she's still one of my best characters! I refuse to sit here and let you ruin her name! Maybe she's a little slower than I'd like sometimes, maybe she has trouble approaching, but I believe Zelda's a good character! Another thing! If your taking down other people who consider themselves to be awesome at the game, so awesome that other people downright refuse to play against them, and all your friends say "Oh God!" every time you choose her, I'd say she's pretty good! Why are you guys following the tier list like a bunch of blind bats? At the end of the day, it's just a list! I know it seems like I'm just venting, and maybe I am, but I'm tired of hearing people say Zelda's bad. I can't tell you how many high tier characters I've utterly CRUSHED with Zelda.
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but I hear this all the time. Beating your friends with a low-tier character isn't an indication of the character being good. In all actuality, it's more likely an indication of your friends not being very skilled in the first place. I main a low-tier too: Pokemon Trainer. Yes, I've beaten high tier characters with him but at the end of the day, he's still not a great character. Player skill is definitely a factor and obviously, a player with a higher skill level and lower tier character will beat out a player with a lower skill level and a higher tier character. However, the former has to work a fair amount harder to get that win. THAT'S a good indication that a character isn't that great. The people here aren't following the tier list like blind bats. They've realized that, despite all their efforts, Zelda just isn't a good character in the first place. Tiers aren't the end-all, but it IS significant.

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
But that's just it! How can you say Zelda's a bad character? Do you even play her? What I meant when I was going on about the tier list is, if you ask anyone experienced at brawl, they will say that Metanight is good. It could just be a coincidence, but I think their decisions are effected mainly by the tier list and not by their own personal experience. As an experienced smasher, I say, don't blame the character. Like you said, a better player will beat an inexperienced player any day. That person might have to work harder to obtain that win, but that person still won. Also, where's the fun in thrashing your opponents quickly? Also, tell me one attack that's REALLY bad on Zelda. Something that cannot be improved, or modified to be useful.

Last edited:

Zerudahime

Smash Apprentice
fsmash/usmash SDI mulitpliers, Landing Lag from upB, Nayrus love inner hits not linking throughout the duration of the move, freefall on aerial side b, no horizontal momentum on upb upon reappear, and unnecessarily small sweetspots for fair/bair/dair. All of those are unwarranted for her character. Fix those, and she would be upper mid tier/almost high tier. She doesnt need much, maybe some speed n shed be amazing.

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
fsmash/usmash SDI mulitpliers, Landing Lag from upB, Nayrus love inner hits not linking throughout the duration of the move, freefall on aerial side b, no horizontal momentum on upb upon reappear, and unnecessarily small sweetspots for fair/bair/dair. All of those are unwarranted for her character. Fix those, and she would be upper mid tier/almost high tier. She doesnt need much, maybe some speed n shed be amazing.
I'm working to fix some of these. I've fixed most of these, especially her fair and bair. I can effectively use her teleportation attack to surprise my attackers.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
But that's just it! How can you say Zelda's a bad character? Do you even play her? What I meant when I was going on about the tier list is, if you ask anyone experienced at brawl, they will say that Metanight is good. It could just be a coincidence, but I think their decisions are effected mainly by the tier list and not by their own personal experience. As an experienced smasher, I say, don't blame the character. Like you said, a better player will beat an inexperienced player any day. That person might have to work harder to obtain that win, but that person still won. Also, where's the fun in thrashing your opponents quickly? Also, tell me one attack that's REALLY bad on Zelda. Something that cannot be improved, or modified to be useful.
I'll have to agree with Spirst a bit on the significance of tiers. As a Zelda player, I totally accept that her all-around play-style is not as strong as other higher-up characters on a level. Normally, I've gotten over that already. Don't blame the character -- blame the developers! :laugh:
All jokes aside, it's just those detriments that I have to focus on getting around. Finding ways to make some of her moves useful is difficult, especially considering almost all of the things I've tried are ones I've read that some people have done already. Nevertheless, it doesn't really stop me from using her, no matter my outcome. I play her because she's fun, and that's good enough for me.
I like your way of thinking. It just invigorates me and makes me want to try even harder! Keeping that mentality is kinda tough when you battle all of these tough players, though. Hopefully I can achieve some sort of miraculous victory when Smash 4 comes around...at least once. ^^

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
I'll have to agree with Spirst a bit on the significance of tiers. As a Zelda player, I totally accept that her all-around play-style is not as strong as other higher-up characters on a level. Normally, I've gotten over that already. Don't blame the character -- blame the developers! :laugh:
All jokes aside, it's just those detriments that I have to focus on getting around. Finding ways to make some of her moves useful is difficult, especially considering almost all of the things I've tried are ones I've read that some people have done already. Nevertheless, it doesn't really stop me from using her, no matter my outcome. I play her because she's fun, and that's good enough for me.
I like your way of thinking. It just invigorates me and makes me want to try even harder! Keeping that mentality is kinda tough when you battle all of these tough players, though. Hopefully I can achieve some sort of miraculous victory when Smash 4 comes around...at least once. ^^
Yes! Let's all hope Zelda in Smash 4 is a little better to use. In the meantime, I will Improve!

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
No, nobody really pushes Zelda let alone uses her. Brawl is dead though.

Fixing the SDI on Zelda's moves would help. It has been her bane in Melee more than anything. Refer to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS4HBUJZcik Who the hell allowed 2:41 and 2:49 to happen? :(

Edgehogging Farore's will be more difficult in Smash 4 I think.

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
No, nobody really pushes Zelda let alone uses her. Brawl is dead though.

Fixing the SDI on Zelda's moves would help. It has been her bane in Melee more than anything. Refer to this: Who the hell allowed 2:41 and 2:49 to happen? :(

Edgehogging Farore's will be more difficult in Smash 4 I think.
Excuse me? I am one of the chosen few who choose to use Zelda. What's wrong with that?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I don't think pushing and playing Zelda mean the same thing.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Pushing means to improve. Playing means just that.

Well, the "chosen few" have just a few months left to increase her ranking in the tier list. Hop to it.

Foughen

Banned via Warnings
On this topic, I totally could have went to a tournament with 40 people who were all casuals and easily won.
I would have gotten $120 too.
But I got called into work instead.

Like I would have pulled a Vinnie and acted like it was a huge accomplishment too.

I need to check my priorities tbh!!!

D

Deleted member

Still play her in Brawl. Since I play her in every Smash game. I like keeping everything ive learned fresh so ill play brawl and Melee every once and a while.

Top Bottom