• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone here suffer from social anxiety and/or depression?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't know if I have social anxiety or not, but I can say for a fact that I have very severe depression and have had it for at least a decade. I am in so much stress over the smallest things without being able to get rid of any of it that I'm in constant pain.

Not even medication or therapy helps – although I make heavy use of both –because there's someone actively (if unknowingly) sabotaging my recovery.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I think the reason I have severe social anxiety is because of school. People expect you to socialize with other peers. But what good is that when I'm being pressured by my own internal fears? Of course, being an Aspie doesn't help my case in the slightest.

I also think one of the contributing factors is my own parents. They've spoiled me at a young age. They should've been more assertive and made me do more chores by myself. I didn't even learn to tie my own shoes until I was TWELVE.

Last edited:

Aqua Admin Shelly

Smash Apprentice
Social anxiety, severe depression, paranoid schizophrenia. That's me.
Used to drown the depression with alcohol, which of course, made it worse.
Most days I don't even want to get out of bed. What's the point?

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Social anxiety, severe depression, paranoid schizophrenia. That's me.
Used to drown the depression with alcohol, which of course, made it worse.
Most days I don't even want to get out of bed. What's the point?
At least you have something called "having friends"... right?

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I have friends, and a great BF who's helping me through it, mostly cause he's just as ****ed up as I am. The depression is still pretty crippling though.
I feel like my depression is only starting to get worse as I get closer to legally becpmimg am adult.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yes, if you also add social anxiety in the mix.
Just out of curiosity, what do you feel might easily nullify some of these feelings (if possible)?

A really great girlfriend, an unconditional group of close friends, more supportive family, better performance in school (or other activities where you are judged)?

Or is it something that you feel none of the above would change?

Last edited:

Aqua Admin Shelly

Smash Apprentice
Yes, if you also add social anxiety in the mix.
If you don't want to meet someone face-to-face, there are online therapy groups and such.
I waited too long, and got to the point where I was nearly gone. @ ThePsychoWolf ThePsychoWolf and a few other people fought to bring me back from the brink, but even so, I had to be institutionalized briefly, and my paranoia is still so severe I won't tell anyone I don't already know and trust where I live or work.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Just out of curiosity, what do you feel might easily nullify some of these feelings (if possible)?

A really great girlfriend, an unconditional group of close friends, more supportive family, better performance in school (or other activities where you are judged)?

Or is it something that you feel none of the above would change?
I guess people at school AND home consider moderately cynical and pessimistic for my age. Then again, I guess some unlucky teens go through this.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I don't know if I have social anxiety or not, but I can say for a fact that I have very severe depression and have had it for at least a decade. I am in so much stress over the smallest things without being able to get rid of any of it that I'm in constant pain.

Not even medication or therapy helps – although I make heavy use of both –because there's someone actively (if unknowingly) sabotaging my recovery.
I feel for you man. I'm manic depressive myself.
I was so quiet, so secluded in high school and all along it was social anxiety. I'm lucky enough that a anti-depressant is effective, let alone doesn't cause weight gain.
I've tried therapy myself, even tried venting in a journal, but none of that worked.
It was when I picked up the guitar that I was able to release my emotions through soundwaves.

So I hear and understand your pain man.. Hang in there.
All the best

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I have depression, social anxiety, and probably at least one personality disorder, though I haven't been diagnosed.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Aye, and Insomnia. Classified as a mental illness as well, I believe.
They say intelligent people sleep less, so I'll take it as a cosmic compliment.
Sorry for butting in your conversation, but I don't think that applies for every all-nighter out there. I'm pretty **** at every subject.

Aqua Admin Shelly

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for butting in your conversation, but I don't think that applies for every all-nighter out there. I'm pretty **** at every subject.
Being **** in school doesn't mean you aren't intelligent. There are many factors that could be affecting school performance.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I took meds for many years, for my ADHD. They pretty much made me an antisocial zombie, and my relationships with other students suffered, and it made my already present social anxiety much worse.
When I finally got off the pills, my grades suffered, not because I wasn't smart, but because I just couldn't focus.

D

Deleted member

I've dealt with social anxiety pretty much all my life. Back in school, I didn't have very many friends because I was too shy and scared to make them. I was the type to let people come to me and talk to me first. When I do make friends, I'm reserved and don't talk a lot at first, but the more I get to know someone the more I open up and become my true self. I burned way too many bridges with potential friends because of me being so awkward and not keeping conversations well.
And don't get me started about calling people on the phone, like making an appointment for example. Always feel like crying whenever I'm put in such situations. I'm better with dealing with people now but I still get quite anxious when I have to deal with people I don't know.

As with depression, I'm not sure if I'm depressed but sometimes I do have feelings of self-hatred and thinking that I'll never amount to anything and that I'll never be successful.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I've dealt with social anxiety pretty much all my life. Back in school, I didn't have very many friends because I was too shy and scared to make them. I was the type to let people come to me and talk to me first. When I do make friends, I'm reserved and don't talk a lot at first, but the more I get to know someone the more I open up and become my true self. I burned way too many bridges with potential friends because of me being so awkward and not keeping conversations well.
And don't get me started about calling people on the phone, like making an appointment for example. Always feel like crying whenever I'm put in such situations. I'm better with dealing with people now but I still get quite anxious when I have to deal with people I don't know.

As with depression, I'm not sure if I'm depressed but sometimes I do have feelings of self-hatred and thinking that I'll never amount to anything and that I'll never be successful.
I'm too nervous to even PICK up the phone sometimes, even if its a number that includes a local area code. I get nervous because I don't know what to say to the person on the other end. I once had to call insurance and I was so nervous, I felt a bit nauseous, even though I said what I had wrote on a piece of paper. So I can relate.

Its the small things that can get to you.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Everyone feels down at some points in their life. I'm generally a pretty cheerful person however I must admit that I don't really take insults or rude / sarcastic remarks well, I'll usually feel pretty gloomy if someone acts like that towards me, especially if it's about something that I've worked hard towards, even if it's just criticism not presented politely I'll most likely feel dull about it..
I'm the same way, actually. I've grown up being kind of 'literal' (lack of a better term) where I take everything for face value and ignore tones or context irl. Even if it's obvious they're joking around, just hearing the words kind of puts me down a level. It's a childish habit for me to get defensive when people act that way. I'm trying to find ways to grow out of it.

Response to OP: Yeah, I have anxiety, and I'm also an introvert (ISFP to be exact) It's not extreme by any means; it was much worse when I was in high school. But anxiety for me usually hinders my ability to sleep and eat, and even when I don't mean to, anxiety makes me like a frightened cat: I get defensive and feisty. I talked to my family doctor about it, and she prescribed me the lowest dose of Zoloft she could, instructing me to take half a pill for a week, then start taking full doses. I made it past the half-pill week fine, but the first day I took a full pill, my anxiety got worse :/ my boyfriend told me I was acting "really cracked out, and unusually emotional".

I've heard with anxiety meds that you're supposed to "tough out" the bad weeks until your body adjusts completely, but with a job (at the time). I'd rather take nothing.
Speaking of jobs, something that worked for me was actually getting a job that involved lots of people skills (in my case, I was at a restaurant as a hostess). At first, it was tough, but the customers were typically sweet or funny senior citizens (but I've had my bad days, a very angry woman spit in my ear once) and my coworkers were incredibly kind and supportive, giving polite advice when needed, and picking up conversations with customers when I froze up. Mileage varies here, though.

@ E-Mann E-Mann , I understand your situation about being spoiled by parents (as well as overprotection, and I've dealt with a loooot of bullying too) I'm an only child to a single mom, so she was very doting and never really let me do chores (aside from the basic "clean your room and wash your own dishes", for the most part she did everything else because she didn't think I would get it right the first time, which kind of turned me into someone that always wants to get things right the first time... bad mentality. Failure is a part of learning), and didn't let me stay after school to hang with friends unless she met them first, which is incredibly embarrassing for someone at a high school age. Most of my social skills were picked up from my mother.

In a weird way, I consider myself a "socially late bloomer" in that my social skills need some real work. I'm very quiet, don't speak unless spoken to. But I've recently come to a realization that the tone I speak in is not a preferable tone. I sound like my mother (very accusing, dissatisfied-sounding even when happy, pointing out more negatives than speaking good words; in my boyfriend's terms, I "sound b****y"). I'm working hard to fix the way I speak, and even though many people don't believe natures or personalities can be changed, I know they can. I know I was a cheerful kid until I withdrew into a shell because I let the bullies win.

Sorry about my walls of text.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I'm the same way, actually. I've grown up being kind of 'literal' (lack of a better term) where I take everything for face value and ignore tones or context irl. Even if it's obvious they're joking around, just hearing the words kind of puts me down a level. It's a childish habit for me to get defensive when people act that way. I'm trying to find ways to grow out of it.

Response to OP: Yeah, I have anxiety, and I'm also an introvert (ISFP to be exact) It's not extreme by any means; it was much worse when I was in high school. But anxiety for me usually hinders my ability to sleep and eat, and even when I don't mean to, anxiety makes me like a frightened cat: I get defensive and feisty. I talked to my family doctor about it, and she prescribed me the lowest dose of Zoloft she could, instructing me to take half a pill for a week, then start taking full doses. I made it past the half-pill week fine, but the first day I took a full pill, my anxiety got worse :/ my boyfriend told me I was acting "really cracked out, and unusually emotional".

I've heard with anxiety meds that you're supposed to "tough out" the bad weeks until your body adjusts completely, but with a job (at the time). I'd rather take nothing.
Speaking of jobs, something that worked for me was actually getting a job that involved lots of people skills (in my case, I was at a restaurant as a hostess). At first, it was tough, but the customers were typically sweet or funny senior citizens (but I've had my bad days, a very angry woman spit in my ear once) and my coworkers were incredibly kind and supportive, giving polite advice when needed, and picking up conversations with customers when I froze up. Mileage varies here, though.

@ E-Mann E-Mann , I understand your situation about being spoiled by parents (as well as overprotection, and I've dealt with a loooot of bullying too) I'm an only child to a single mom, so she was very doting and never really let me do chores (aside from the basic "clean your room and wash your own dishes", for the most part she did everything else because she didn't think I would get it right the first time, which kind of turned me into someone that always wants to get things right the first time... bad mentality. Failure is a part of learning), and didn't let me stay after school to hang with friends unless she met them first, which is incredibly embarrassing for someone at a high school age. Most of my social skills were picked up from my mother.

In a weird way, I consider myself a "socially late bloomer" in that my social skills need some real work. I'm very quiet, don't speak unless spoken to. But I've recently come to a realization that the tone I speak in is not a preferable tone. I sound like my mother (very accusing, dissatisfied-sounding even when happy, pointing out more negatives than speaking good words; in my boyfriend's terms, I "sound b****y"). I'm working hard to fix the way I speak, and even though many people don't believe natures or personalities can be changed, I know they can. I know I was a cheerful kid until I withdrew into a shell because I let the bullies win.

Sorry about my walls of text.
Yeah. Anxiety's a ***** to get over. My social skills are that of a third grader. Thanks for sharing your struggles.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I love talking on the phone, Texting takes to long sometimes they take to long to reply my message I sent to them.
This oddly reminds me of when my Dad was reluctant to get us texting for like forever. He was like "You need to take advantage of the importance of talking to another human being" and I'm like "Its time to catch up with the times."

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
I used to have serious depression back at school due to bullying and whatnot, but thankfully that chapter of my life is done and dusted. Unfortunately though I am still on the loner side of things and have serious difficulty talking to people. This doesn't really depress me, but its definitely been known to annoy the crap out of me and overall affect my mood around people, which in turn just ends up making my social situation worse. Thankfully I've found my own methods of remaining optimistic about beating my anxiety and as such has made me become less angry about the situation recently, but depression/anxiety is definitely a very hard thing to overcome and it's a shame some people don't understand that.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Not regularly. I am a bit awkward depending on the circumstances. If I'm at a place or event that I like to be at, I'm usually very rowdy. If I've been tired or working hard, I'm usually quiet. People tend to think that I'm socially awkward but really my engine has just been run dry and they've caught me at bad days.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Common topic at home is the need for me to improve my poor social skills. I'm not a people person.

Zelduh!

Smash Cadet
I have social anxiety and depression, I was diagnosed a couple of months ago and I'm currently doing CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) this helps me comfortably approach social situations and not avoid them. One of the things I did to help with my social anxiety was to sign up to this forum as It keeps me socially active, so in a sense this forum is helping me overcome fears :)

Last edited:

Aqua Admin Shelly

Smash Apprentice
I have social anxiety and depression, I was diagnosed a couple of months ago and I'm currently doing CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) this helps me comfortably approach social situations and not avoid them. One of the things I did to help with my social anxiety was to sign up to this forum as It keeps me socially active, so in a sense this forum is helping me overcome fears :)
I joined FaceBook for pretty much the same reason. Then I went on to practically never log in.

Zelduh!

Smash Cadet
I joined FaceBook for pretty much the same reason. Then I went on to practically never log in.
Haha, I created my Facebook for a similar purpose about eight years ago only to go on it like three times a year, I haven't even changed my profile pick since I created it.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I love talking on the phone, Texting takes to long sometimes they take to long to reply my message I sent to them.
I prefer texts since I need a few seconds to properly think about my response.
If someone is calling me, I don't really have much of a chance to think and I tend to get pressured into situations I do not want to be in because I don't have the time to think of a proper way to say "no", like going somewhere I don't want to be, going to work on a day off because I can't think up a good "no way" on the spot.

Does anyone here have a problem with telling people "no" because they're afraid of backlash (or the annoying "whyyyy")? I've kind of evolved into a human doormat because of bad friends that ditched me for not going along with them 100%.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Here I am at college and I've barely said a few sentences to my fellow students. It starts as anxiety and then gradually moves to hatred for me.

I wish I could stop that part and just be at peace but sometimes it really gets to me.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Here I am at college and I've barely said a few sentences to my fellow students. It starts as anxiety and then gradually moves to hatred for me.

I wish I could stop that part and just be at peace but sometimes it really gets to me.
I can relate heavily.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

Have you tried anything to help you become well, at least how it seems to me, more social?

Having social anxiety myself, I take valium then have a caffeinated drink.

Top Bottom