• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone have any good G&W replays?

driver1676

Smash Rookie
I've been reading this forum recently and I have no problem racking damage but I have so much trouble ending games. Are there any replays that you much better G&W players have that you can share?

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Not sure how to "share" replays to be honest...

What you are describing is pretty much Game and Watch in a nutshell. He has very high ability to rack up a lot of damage but has difficulty landing kill moves (which can sometimes be frustrating when Game and Watch himself is the second lightest in the game). His kill moves are either not very powerful or very slow. Still, his smashes are perfectly safe on block if not a bit slow and his Up Smash has some invincibility making it a fantastic anti-air.

Let me give you this tip though: What Game and Watch lacks in raw kill power, he makes up for his ability to go far out from the stage and edgeguard while still being able to recover back again.

If your opponent tries to recover from below the stage, use Dair. That sounds crazy, but as long as you do it while above the stage while saving your second jump, you will be able to recover. This move is very hard to stop because of its disjointed range and most characters won't be able to weave backwards or airdodge without killing themselves.

If your opponent tries recovering from above the stage, then use your Up B as it has invincibility, travels very high, has a lingering hitbox, allows you to act afterwards, and allows you to parachute back to the stage. If you haven't used your second jump after using Up B, then after simply using any aerial, Game and Watch has the unique property to jump after his Up B.

Ofcourse, don't neglect your Fair, Nair, Bair, Uair, or Neutral B (Frying Pan) for edgeguarding either. They are all fantastic.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
If your opponent tries recovering from above the stage, then use your Up B as it has invincibility, travels very high, has a lingering hitbox, allows you to act afterwards, and allows you to parachute back to the stage. If you haven't used your second jump after using Up B, then after simply using any aerial, Game and Watch has the unique property to jump after his Up B.
It's worth mentioning that you should Up-B during your first jump rather than after it. Trying to Up-B after the first jump completes results in Mr. Game & Watch doing his second jump a frame before the firemen appear.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
It's worth mentioning that you should Up-B during your first jump rather than after it. Trying to Up-B after the first jump completes results in Mr. Game & Watch doing his second jump a frame before the firemen appear.
If you have tap jump on. I have it turned off.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
There's more than one way to skin this cat. The trick is to get the stick up without activating the jump. You can obviously turn tap jump off which will make pushing up never jump. Anther way is to learn to push the circle pad only slightly up to an area where the jump doesn't register but the Up-B does. You can also tilt it slowly to the top which will not activate your jump, or you can do it while you are already hold up from the first jump (as you described). Lastly you can input up during the lag of another attack. Try a few of these out and see which works best.

Azekahh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Azekahh
If your opponent tries to recover from below the stage, use Dair. That sounds crazy, but as long as you do it while above the stage while saving your second jump, you will be able to recover. This move is very hard to stop because of its disjointed range and most characters won't be able to weave backwards or airdodge without killing themselves.
Yes, Dair is incredible for finishing opponents off.
If I had saved it, I could show you a 30-45 second or so match between myself and a Dr. Mario where my Dair spiked him during both stocks and knocked him out around 30%. It's a lot easier to pull off on Omega stages with a wall on the sides of the stage, though. If it's just a platform, you want to make absolutely sure you have your second jump, or you might not make it back up.

driver1676

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice! I've been employing my Dair now with amazing results, increasing my win rate up to 75%.

Top Bottom