• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone find this meteor setup useful?

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
It is quite risky but if you get the timing down its so good. It can KO at low to mid percents. But its very character dependent.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Even if it was a CPU, that was a nice video sample of what can be a great setup. And even if a human play could be able to airdodge it, Sonic could still recover back given they don't footstool or anything.(?)

I don't know the exacts of Sonic's Meteor D-air connecting, but to me it looks like it could work.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
Idk gotta that combo once in a for glory match once then i SD lol. I'm still trying to figure out how to accurately do this every time so it wouldn't be a random change. Currently im a bit doubtful this is viable because depending on the vector this isnt a true combo.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Even if it was a CPU, that was a nice video sample of what can be a great setup. And even if a human play could be able to airdodge it, Sonic could still recover back given they don't footstool or anything.(?)

I don't know the exacts of Sonic's Meteor D-air connecting, but to me it looks like it could work.
I think (and hope) you cannot air dodge. It was a level 9 Mario which powershields, spot dodges and air dodges everything. He was it hitstun the whole time. And yes, at lower percents the other player can footstool you before Sonic finishes the dair so be careful. However at mid to high percents Sonic can footstool them instead making sure even some characters with better recoveries don't make it back.

Idk gotta that combo once in a for glory match once then i SD lol. I'm still trying to figure out how to accurately do this every time so it wouldn't be a random change. Currently im a bit doubtful this is viable because depending on the vector this isnt a true combo.
Yes that is true. Unfortunately CPU's do not vector which is stupid because if it's a mechanic in the game then CPU's should use it. At least level 9's should. But even with vectoring, the moment you dair out of spindash can vary so maybe you can read the vector and still get it to work. Needs more testing but if it turns out to be legit then it will be so awesome.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yes.

This is actually the first set-up Anthinus showcases in his Dair compilation video as discussed here.

:093:

Regardie

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't be able to pull it off consistently so I probably wouldn't use it unless I'm fooling around.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
how do you do the spike? whenever I hit them, they either get hitted up or dodge
You have to hit the opponent at roughly the precise angle that it travels. It doesn't have a lot of leeway but pulling it off is really satisfying.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was playing someone today and dair spiked... But Sonic hit the blastzone and died first because he flies down so fast.

yay

:093:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I don't know of how low blast zones are on certain levels but in For Glory/Omega Stages they're pretty far enough to make DAir pretty safe to use and a pretty good edgeguarding tool as long as you still have your double jump. Just have to be slightly above the stage when you initiate it.

Top Bottom