• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else use Duck Hunts customs?

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I've tried out all of his customs and maybe it's just cause i'm used to the standard set by this point but i dont see myself using any of Duck Hunts customs Does anyone else feel the same way?

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Gunman is probably the best thing to change custom-wise, and that's for different MUs, the fast one for rushdown characters, the big one for projectile-based characters, and the standard one for standard set-ups, also his custom recovery that sends them straight up is rather popular. Zig Zag Can is good but I'd rather have standard, and everything else isn't really worth it.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Gunman is probably the best thing to change custom-wise, and that's for different MUs, the fast one for rushdown characters, the big one for projectile-based characters, and the standard one for standard set-ups, also his custom recovery that sends them straight up is rather popular. Zig Zag Can is good but I'd rather have standard, and everything else isn't really worth it.
The distance of the fast Gunmen is the reason i don't use it, if it covered more ground then i would use it

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
The distance of the fast Gunmen is the reason i don't use it, if it covered more ground then i would use it
Rushdown characters don't give much space anyway, it's a keep-away tool, so they actually need to be near you for you to be able to knock them back to a good distance. Think about Sonic running at you, get the quick gunman out, knock them to a better distance, catch them out with the clay pigeon, then go for a follow-up or reset to neutral. It's not very good for camping, but it offers a tool against one of DHD's biggest weaknesses, at the expense of some set-ups involving the standard gunman.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Rushdown characters don't give much space anyway, it's a keep-away tool, so they actually need to be near you for you to be able to knock them back to a good distance. Think about Sonic running at you, get the quick gunman out, knock them to a better distance, catch them out with the clay pigeon, then go for a follow-up or reset to neutral. It's not very good for camping, but it offers a tool against one of DHD's biggest weaknesses, at the expense of some set-ups involving the standard gunman.
I'll keep that in mind when facing Sonic and other rushdown characters, but other than that one customs i feel the standard is far better

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
I don't have any idea why you would prefer normal Up-B to the custom versions, quick vs. standard gunmen is near 50/50, but I can't imagine any good reason why someone would want standard up-b ever.

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
I have to agree with diamond. When i use customs its usually the super duck jump and quick gunman and standard every thong else

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I use the hitbox up-b because it is faster than default.

I switch between gunmen depending on the matchup (switching between mega and default). Same with Can. If anyone is going to rush me down on the ground or play up close the whole time, I won't use zigzag, but if I'm fighting an aerial character or one that likes to spend his time away from me, I'll probably use Zigzag.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Won the xanadu monthly with (mostly duck hunt)
You can check out my matches here: http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/5099342

It was default, not customs.

Zigzag has made me a lot better at chasing and trapping people with soursweetspot, since zigzag essentially does that situation each time with less set-up (though soursweet is way more potent than standard zigzag set-ups for edgeguarding)

Mostly went duck hunt hunt but Yoshi went undefeated, I pretty much pulled him out whenever someone took me to an odd stage or I felt they were clamming up too much by the end of a match vs DHD. I really like this combination.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
I pretty much use standard outside of maybe a switch to quick can and the hit box up depending on matchup. I never liked zigzag Myself because it didn't really fit me. Quick can did more for me but I only switch to it if I don't need normal cans.

I personally hate the up B that goes straight up. Outside of villager, It makes you more gimpable in comparison to the standard once an opponent gets the timing right. On top of that, I don't find enough use for the wind box it emits to justify it.

Gunmen customs are match up based but not 100% needed to rotate outside of a few matchups. Haven't messed around with pigeon customs to say on my end for those.

Top Bottom