• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else never fully charge their beam?

"Scorp"

Smash Rookie
I hardly ever charge mine up all the way, I usually cancel it around 80-90%, just a few frames before it finishes - I find opponents forget about it quickly and because you're not flashing, it's an option they don't expect a lot of the time.

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
I fully charge it, generally between stocks, maybe during neutral if I'm camping platforms or when I'm edgeguarding. Not charging it all the way isn't worth it.

Your opponent is usually looking at you, so you're losing out by only having it at 80-90% for mind games. Most Samus players usually fully charge it, and that 10% difference could decide whether or not you get a stock off that chargeshot.

On top of that, the person you're playing against most likely wants to avoid getting hit by your projectiles altogether, so making it weaker on purpose is pointless.

Last edited:

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
I usually charge it, it's a threat in itself and forced the opponent to play differently. I hardly use the charge shot, it's just the intimidation that makes it so good for mind games.

"Scorp"

Smash Rookie
...it's a threat in itself and forced the opponent to play differently.
That's exactly it though, if you're flashing, you can expect a shine or powershield as soon as there's the slightest opportunity for a charge shot. Opponents get comfy if you don't do a full charge. Try it once

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
That's exactly it though, if you're flashing, you can expect a shine or powershield as soon as there's the slightest opportunity for a charge shot. Opponents get comfy if you don't do a full charge. Try it once
I could mainly see it as a mixup that could confuse someone once, I don't see it working twice. I would use your idea of utilizing a 90% charged Samus blast sparingly.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Now that I think about it, i'm positive that your method is 100% better than mine haha

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
Now that I think about it, i'm positive that your method is 100% better than mine haha
You can just mix up between the two though.

Either fully charge it and passively scare your opponent, or try to catch them off guard with the 90% chargeshot.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
There is some benefit to not charging it fully other than the lack of an indicator. (I'm not 100% sure on this but I was told it so maybe?) When getting hit in your upb, you don't lose the charge shot.

However it's generally better to just fully charge it. I'm pretty sure the knockback growth it much stronger when it is fully charged vs. 80-90% charged. That and to fire it on the ground you have to double tap and it takes slightly longer to shoot, make it waaaaay easier to react to. Not charging all the way can work but I wouldn't recommend getting in the habit of trying to max it as much as possible.

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet
There is some benefit to not charging it fully other than the lack of an indicator. (I'm not 100% sure on this but I was told it so maybe?) When getting hit in your upb, you don't lose the charge shot.

However it's generally better to just fully charge it. I'm pretty sure the knockback growth it much stronger when it is fully charged vs. 80-90% charged. That and to fire it on the ground you have to double tap and it takes slightly longer to shoot, make it waaaaay easier to react to. Not charging all the way can work but I wouldn't recommend getting in the habit of trying to max it as much as possible.
From the Melee Calculator,

lvl_7

id0

Damage: 25
Angle: 361 (Sakurai)
KB Growth: 72
Set Knockback: 0
Base Knockback: 50
Effect: Electric

lvl_6

id0

Damage: 21
KB Growth: 66
Base Knockback: 36

Fully charged is wayyyy stronger.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
From the Melee Calculator,

lvl_7

id0

Damage: 25
KB Growth: 72
Base Knockback: 50

lvl_6

id0

Damage: 21
KB Growth: 66
Base Knockback: 36

Fully charged is wayyyy stronger.
I always felt like it was.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Yea, semi charged charge shot is way worse at outright killing people. But, think a little bigger guys. Because semi charged charge shot is so much weaker, it causes knockdown instead. That and the fact that most people don't have experience with weak chargeshots so they're like 90% guaranteed to miss the tech.

Real world application by Plup: https://youtu.be/QhZPeSh_a24?t=1m3s

PS: this is vaguely relevant; uncharged charge shots cause resets

Edit: Pretty sure Plup did semi-charged to knockdown to fsmash to take a stock in another match as well

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Yea, semi charged charge shot is way worse at outright killing people. But, think a little bigger guys. Because semi charged charge shot is so much weaker, it causes knockdown instead. That and the fact that most people don't have experience with weak chargeshots so they're like 90% guaranteed to miss the tech.

Real world application by Plup: https://youtu.be/QhZPeSh_a24?t=1m3s

PS: this is vaguely relevant; uncharged charge shots cause resets

Edit: Pretty sure Plup did semi-charged to knockdown to fsmash to take a stock in another match as well
Now that's a solid use of semi-charged shot. Does anyone wanna do the math on time it takes to shoot a semi-charge vs. a full charge?? I feel like semi charge has decent use but it still takes longer to release. How much time is the question.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
According to the frame data thread, semi charge and charged come out on frame 15. Also its not really frame tight since you're usually punishing (or reading) a shffl. And as good as a shffl is they take like 30-50 frames to complete which is more than enough to react to.

Top Bottom