• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Does anyone else have problems with tether?

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I'm not aware if this was a thing in previous iterations of Smash or exclusive to this one, but often times I try to tether I'll do a air-dodge or an attack. I also have this problem with pivot grabbing, where as I'll do an attack instead of a grab. I use the Z button for grabs. Any information or tips on the issue?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I personally find z-air tethers to be inconsistent when holding an item, compared to previous games. For instance in Brawl, I could pull out Link's bomb and then consistently z-air tether by pressing L, then A shortly afterward on a GameCube controller. If I used Z instead, it would throw Link's bomb.

In Sm4sh on the other hand, if I'm playing Crazy Orders with Power Suit or Zero Suit Samus, the same motions (L, then A shortly afterward) inconsistently either tether or throw the home-run bat. I would also be curious if others have this issue, or whether the window of time between tethering and throwing an item in the air changed since Brawl.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Tethers in this game tend to be super inconsistent when trying to recover with them.

I've died and SD'd a handful of times from not latching onto the ledge when clearly I was within range of it.

It's super irritating really.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
For some reason, I've occasionally found that tapping Z only gets me an airdodge while pressing and holding it causes my character to tether as they should. This is probably related to the stuff in the post Arc Quilava Arc Quilava linked, specifically:
If you plan to use an airdodge or a double jump and then immediately Zair or Tether, you will have to wait till the airdodge/DJ animation actually happens before pressing the Grab button otherwise you'll just get an airdodge due to the new buffering system. [Note that if you Zair after doing an airdodge you will receive the lag of the airdodge upon landing if your Zair animation hasn't finished yet. Note also that if you intend to use the attack button in conjunction with the shield button, you'll have to hold the shield button until you press the attack button.]

Last edited:

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
No problem, I played Tink for a bit and the same problem. It's a lot more comforting to know that there is some reason behind it, not just "randomness".

Also, JamietheAuraUser JamietheAuraUser I don't think tapping vs. holding actually makes any difference. There might just be something else that you are overlooking, although I am not 100% sure. Honestly, if you can't figure it out, the Toon Link boards are a really good source for this sort of thing, they almost always have tons of data on everything.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
No problem, I played Tink for a bit and the same problem. It's a lot more comforting to know that there is some reason behind it, not just "randomness".

Also, JamietheAuraUser JamietheAuraUser I don't think tapping vs. holding actually makes any difference. There might just be something else that you are overlooking, although I am not 100% sure. Honestly, if you can't figure it out, the Toon Link boards are a really good source for this sort of thing, they almost always have tons of data on everything.
My best guess would be that the reason for the perceived difference is because air dodge can be cancelled into tether. So like was said in that thread you linked, I'm doing something where it would normally result in an air dodge, but by holding the button the attack input registers a few frames later and causes the air dodge to cancel into tether.

Top Bottom