• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else feel the 3DS version is more fun than Wii U?

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
I love the 3DS version because I can just lay in bed and play it, also at school. In fact, if my circle pad wasnt so wrecked, I would play it more.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I like classic on 3ds better than the Wii U version. Mostly because it really bothers me how they called the Wii U version "Classic". 3ds has the same problem but it is far more closer to classic. Other than that, I do like them for what they are but I like the 3ds path system rather than the whole board on Wii U. However I am disappointed I won't be getting a master fortress on the 3ds. The intruders can pop up in the most ridiculous ways on the Wii U. It pains me to see a normal 2v2v2v2 and a intruder alert pops up with BOTH metal and giant characters ON THE SAME TEAM.

Now for stages I actually prefer 3ds stages over Wii U. I like an equal number of stages on both versions but there are more stages I don't want to play which probably have to in single player modes in the Wii U.

An obvious mode smash run is one of the best modes on any smash game imo. Smash tour is the worst mode in any smash game imo.

Challenges on the Wii U I won't bother be touching due to ridiculous stuff. Smash 3ds is way more forgivable for that.

I feel like the Wii U version is the hardcore version due to some whacky challenges and harder modes. Even the A.I. are tougher than the 3ds version.

However, despite the stuff I listed on the better things of smash 3ds being better than its Wii U counter part, I do like the Wii U version overall. Not because of its graphics and being able to play on the big screen on glorious HD (Infact, I was more excited to see fighters hit my screen in 3d for the 3ds), but because the solo and group modes are more fun than the 3ds version. I even like Classic better with a partner I can trust (Minus the fact of no master fortress) and I like the harder challenge of 9.0 which really feels more rewarding to beat. I also like the fact they brought back Kongo Jungle, one of my favorite stages. Of course at this point I love master core and the fortress the Wii U has to offer. Not to mention event mode and even more trophies.

The Wii U brings a lot of things to the table which is why I liked it more, the 3ds is still great and has some better stuff for different reasons. The 3ds is definitely no smash "lite" or an "appetizer" compared to the Wii U. I can say I like the 3ds version better than 64, Melee, and Brawl.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
We've heard a few people say the same. It might be due to your particular life style. Do you find yourself playing more portable games in general as compared to console or PC?
Yup, as far as my history with Nintendo is concerned. Their handhelds have been a big part of my life since my childhood.

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
I have played the Wii U version,and,although great,sometimes I feel like Nintendo try to play it like it's the ultimate version.
In some ways,it's better:More music HD,probs some other things..
But the 3DS version has WAAAAYYY better One-Player Mode,Classic,Challenges,and a less confusing All-Star.
Wii U version has awful one-player mode,Classic that doesn't desrve to be called"Classic",a confusing mess of All-Star,and psychotic challenges.
But when I look at the 3DS version's STAGES,they're pretty bad.
Wily Castle and Spirit Train...

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS version has Smash Run, which is good single player, and decent multiplayer but it's pretty much the same until the end which is random Smash except VS Enemy Team (which is fun but single player) or Race to the Finish (Awesomesauce and possibly the best part of Smash Run) it also has some good stages, aka Spirit Tracks, Tortimer Island, Golden Plains and Pac-Maze... the Wii U version, though has Classic Controller, Nunchuck and Gamecube controls, 8-Player, Crazy orders, Smash tour..

So I'd say their both good in their own ways.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I like the Wii U version better just because the controller scheme and bigger screen. Plus, more variety in stages and music. I would have rather had Smash Run on the Wii U version than the Smash Tour. Smash Run is a pretty cool thing, though, I wish it had more maps. I don't have a Wii U, but I've had the chance to play it at my friends house. I'm fine with 3DSmash, but I don't like the small screen. I find myself looking closely during intense matches, which is something I don't do with a TV.

FalcoFear

Smash Rookie
While I do feel like Smash Run is much better than Shash Tour, Wii U has a lot more content, and looks a lot prettier, so i'd have to disagree, sorry! :(

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
i feel like smash 3ds takes a little more skill only because of the controls much harder without the proper thumb stick but bigger acomplishment when u win in a row

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
I love both of them and play them both a lot. I don't really think one is more fun than the other. I would recommend getting both to anyone who was able to.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
The 3ds is definitely no smash "lite" or an "appetizer" compared to the Wii U. I can say I like the 3ds version better than 64, Melee, and Brawl.
I have to agree, there are similar threads to this one and people just don't give the 3DS version enough credit. Obviously from a technological standpoint the Wii U version is going to be better (Unless you count glasses free 3-D :awesome:) But in the case of having fun, at least in my experience the 3DS has provided a more "fun" experience for me. I hardly play the Wii U version but I have it because of Mewtwo obviously.

Folt

Smash Ace
I have the Wii U version for the All-Star Battle Events... and reverse-order All-Star Mode. (And the Ultimate Battle Co-Op Event.)

Top Bottom