• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anybody think Smash 4 is worth getting a 3DS XL for?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think you should buy a 3DS XL regardless, because of the extended battery life, better grab for your hands and the bigger screen which helps everything look even gorgeous.

D

Deleted member

I've been wondering the same thing, but I have a working 3DS. I'm not sure if I should invest in an XL when I don't even have enough money to buy the games yet. I preordered them, but I don't have $100 yet. I'm probably not going to be making too much working at a grocery store, but is it worth the investment?

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
if you have a working system for the game then dont upgrade unless you absolutely think you need to.... that being said, i have a 2ds, which i only currently play pokemon right now.... I planned on playing smash on the 2ds because of the button layout and how much more comfortable it felt in my hands... all my friends have 3ds xl... ill play it on my 2ds and on their 3ds xl's and if i feel the need to upgrade i will, if not then ill just keep playing on my 2ds, no point in wasting more money then i have to!

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
I'd personally wait until this holiday season to grab a XL 3DS or 2DS. Chances are that the cartridge of SSB4 and system could be bundled reasonably at a low cost (Or a discount price) by end of the year. (However it's your choice how you want to spend your money during this time, but I suggest waiting a little bit longer for a bundle to release later this year.)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I actually ordered a 3DS XL after playing the Best Buy demo on one. It simply feels/looks way better than the original model. No comparison.

That said, I'd wait for a really good bundle, or buy an official Nintendo refurbished model for $135. Between now and October 3rd, there will have to be some unbelievable deal in there somewhere.

DarklyBigRabbi

Smash Cadet
Not for me. I can't justify buying a whole new handheld when I already have two 3DSs, even for Smash. A limited edition bundle with a cool design would be sick though, and seems almost obvious to me.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, if you are without a 3DS you should do it. The XL is what I demo'd the 3DS version on an it felt great. Really not weird at all. If I didn't have a 3DS already I would get an XL.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I'm quite happy with my original 3DS I got for my birthday 3-4 years ago, no need to upgrade (since I only have 1 game for the system which is Super Mario 3D Land), along with the DS Pokémon games (which I play off and on), since I only have 1 game for the 3DS, I'm pretty sure it'll handle Smash just fine.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I've seen people buy a console just for smash so I don't see why it would seem like an weird option.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
If you don't have a working 3DS model, go out and buy one.

If you do, use that one!

It's really not going to be that big of a deal if the screen size is bigger since the resolution is the same.

But the original 3DS cramps my hands so I will be using either an XL or 2DS.

Last edited:

Darrylols

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2880-7964
There probably will be a bundle for Smash soon. I'll be using my regular 3DS to play smash. I don't see a need to buy another.

Randoman

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure why people are telling me to use my regular 3DS model when I've stated it's broke in the original post. But anyways, I think I'm just gonna upgrade to the 3DS XL.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Considering the 3DS is pretty much the best dedicated gaming device on the market right now, yes, you should definitely get one, regardless of Smash.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am thinking about picking a XL since I sold my OG 3DS a few months ago. I decided for this model mainly because of the bigger screen, but I am worried since people say it is the less sturdy version of the 3DS. Regardless, it is worth buying a 3DS (again, in your case) for the few great games the system have. I am waiting for the next Nintendo Direct, though. Who knows, maybe they will announce a 3DS Smash Bros 4 special edition. Or maybe they could announce something that could make me want a Wii U instead of a 3DS.

Last edited:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't planning on it, but then I saw actual footage and start questioning if my 3DS would be too small to allow me to see the action. So I'm either giving it to a friend or selling it to a stranger, and buying an XL sometime.

Phoenixian_Majesty

Smash Rookie
After holding my friends 3DS yesterday for the first time since I swapped mine out for an XL, I wondered how I even managed to get so far in Kid Icarus with it. It felt uncomfortable to hold and the screens far too small. I can't imagine seriously playing smash without the XL.

I have big hands and bad eyes though. Still, I'd chose XL when the choice is available.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
My regular 3DS broke, and I'm debating if I want to buy one or not, considering I was looking forward to the game.
In short, yes. Nintendo always displays Smash Bros 4 on the 3DS XL and I often hear people say that it's really good. Most of the time people settle with their 3DS or 2DS for a good reason, they'd be buying the same exact system if they got an XL.

Kendall112

Smash Cadet
Punch Time Explosion was just fine on the original 3DS, but then again the camera as zoomed in on your character. I'm Buying an XL for SMASH 4

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Punch Time Explosion was just fine on the original 3DS, but then again the camera as zoomed in on your character. I'm Buying an XL for SMASH 4
Correct me if I'm interpreting your message incorrectly, but the 3DS XL won't let you see more of the stage when the camera is zoomed in. The XL has a bigger screen, but the pixels are larger so it's the same resolution. In simple terms, it's like holding a magnifying glass up to your 3DS, you don't see more, it's just bigger.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
I think you should wait until the holiday season to decide whether or not you prefer that version in general. Do you have a wii u?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Walmart is having a deal on 2DS right now. Buy one and get a $40 gift card! With that $40 gift card I could buy the new smash bros.

Reila

The OP should have in mind that the 2DS is the least comfortable model for people with small hands, though. If he has small hands like me, he should pick a 3DS or a 3DS XL instead.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
The OP should have in mind that the 2DS is the least comfortable model for people with small hands, though. If he has small hands like me, he should pick a 3DS or a 3DS XL instead.
I've heard people say they wanted an XL because their hands were large, now people want one because their hands are small? I'm starting to think the XL might be the most comfortable overall. :laugh:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I bought my 3DSXL for £89, which in USD is about $150.

And let me tell you. It is worth it. I was extremely skeptical when I bought it, but I used my friend's 3DSXL a while back and kinda liked it, so I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I noticed the difference almost immediately. While yes, the pixel content may be the same, a bigger screen just feels so much better. My hands don't hurt after extensive sessions (**** you, lanky fingers) and just in general, I regret not upgrading earlier, honestly.

Still got my regular 3DS for streaming Smash, though.

Kendall112

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm interpreting your message incorrectly, but the 3DS XL won't let you see more of the stage when the camera is zoomed in. The XL has a bigger screen, but the pixels are larger so it's the same resolution. In simple terms, it's like holding a magnifying glass up to your 3DS, you don't see more, it's just bigger.
I know. I'm saying that PTE worked on the original 3DS BECUASE of the fact that the camera was zoomed in on your character. Since Smash won't be zoomed in, I think it would be more appropriate to play it on an XL since it's a bigger screen.

Reila

I've heard people say they wanted an XL because their hands were large, now people want one because their hands are small? I'm starting to think the XL might be the most comfortable overall. :laugh:
I have also heard the 2DS is the most comfortable design for smaller hands. Seems like the opinions are very divisive about the models, but I can see why one would claim the 2DS to be uncomfortable for smaller hands, just by looking at it. In the end, I think buying a XL is the most safe option. Not only a lot of people say it is the most comfortable model, but dat bigger screen is totally worth the price they charge for it.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
i have a 2ds and i plan to play smash on it i already pre ordered it i think it would be great for smash

D

Deleted member

The 3DS XL is the perfect choice because of the bigger screen. But, for the time being, I'm sticking to original 3DS for now. Playing the game in it won't be a problem for me. So yeah, get the XL.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
GameStop sells the most comfortable trigger grips in the world for 2ds. But correct me if I'm wrong, the 2ds lacks Infrared communication? If that's the case then mods won't be able to grant you access to gcn controllers nor a second control stick...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If I get the chance (read: job) within the next few months, I'll upgrade. It is worth it.

Reila

I bought a 3DS XL past week. I figured it would be better for both Smash Bros and Monster Hunter 4 (though Monster Hunter 3 was perfectly playable in my late OG 3DS). I don't know exactly why, but the idea of buying a 2DS or a OG 3DS again didn't felt right and I am sure I would eventually regret buying a non-XL model.
GameStop sells the most comfortable trigger grips in the world for 2ds. But correct me if I'm wrong, the 2ds lacks Infrared communication? If that's the case then mods won't be able to grant you access to gcn controllers nor a second control stick...
No one in their right mind will want to use a NGC controller in a portable system. Not to mention the 3DS controls are wonderful for fighting games (or at least for Street Fighter 4, the only fighting game I played on the 3DS). If "c-sticking" is the reason, then one better hope the game supports the Circle Pad Pro.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just chiming in again for an update: I got my 3DS XL a little under three weeks ago, and it is SO much better than the original model. Not even a contest. It's easier on your hands (if you have big ones like I do), easier on your eyes, not noticeably any heavier and its larger touch screen plus bigger, solid touch pen make accidentally touching something you didn't mean to nearly impossible. Oh, and the battery's way better.

Here's the link to the $135 official Nintendo refurbished model I mentioned before: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...g3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat50005

Even though it's refurbished, it has a full year warranty through Nintendo, plus an additional 90 days if you register the serial number with Club Nintendo. If you wait for a bundle, the actual price of the system alone can't really get much lower than that. The cheapest I saw a 3DS XL last Black Friday was $150 standalone.

Top Bottom