• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doctor Mario basics?

Liamcal

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I recently have been getting into competitive smash. I've played Melee for years and my mains have always switched, but recently I have been playing Doc. I really like Doc.

I was looking for top-tier easy to play characters and Doc filled that nicely. I love comboing, and I should add that I am not the best adv. techer. I can tech and the sort off of recovery, but I am working on wave-dashing, SH, FF, etc. I have heard DI thrown around but I haven't figured it out yet...

Anyway, I see a lot of Advanced Doc threads around, but I think I need to learn the *basics*. If you guys could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Well, I'll just start off by saying Doc isn't top tier. Actually he's 2nd highest of the mid tier. Also he's not easy to play. Tech skill wise he is but doc requires smart and patient play and you have to put in twice as much work to get the same results as the top tiers. Also he's not a combo heavy character.... However he does have combos but they're shorter than other characters but they're twice as bad ass.

The basics of doc are just plain melee fundamentals to be honest.... Just gotta play smart and know how to use his kit.... I highly suggest watching the Doctor's check up video made by smash Mac. It should be stickied. That video will teach you how to use sic and will also tell you his more advanced tech skill however I suggest staying away from those for a little while and focus in fundamentals. The only tech skill you should learn right now are SH, FF, dash dancing. Wave dashing would be nice too but don't use it until you can get it consistently. That right there should get you a good start.

Also... Just while you're learning the game I suggest you play with sheik or Marth until you start getting a hang if things... Those two are great starter characters. Marth for spacing and sheik for combos, punishes, and follow ups. Learning the game with doc isn't necessarily bad but from personal experience I highly suggest learning with those two. And I'm not saying don't touch doc at all... Play around with doc every now and then and take what you learn from those two characters and apply it to your doc.

Also make sure to check out the Doc guides that are stickied. They have some advanced stuff but they skis have a lot of basic stuff too.... Hope this helped!

And don't forget to have fun!!!!

Top Bottom