• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doc Shield Drop Up-B Cancel Tech

Do you believe this to be a viable mix-up option for Doc?

• Total voters

Itrodem

Smash Rookie
Note: Not sure if anyone else has made a post regarding this, but to be safe I figured if make one anyways. Also this is my first post ever so please take it easy on me haha.

So as some of you may know, Up-B Cancel is a viable neutral game and out of shield option from Doc. (For those of you who have haven't heard or are working on executing Up-B Cancel, the following link shall help http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-up-b-cancel-video-and-discussion.326634/ ). It being able to be used as a combo starter, or out-of-shield option to get pressure off of you, it's a technique that Doc players should utilize more often.

However, overuse of Up-B Cancel in the same manner will allow your opponent to adapt and will result in you getting punished more often. That's why I've been working on new Up-B Cancel options. This one's specifically tailored to be used on platforms.

Basically the technique is:
1) Shield Drop
2) PC Jump Drop (If you've never heard on PC Jump Drop, check the following link http://smashboards.com/threads/platforms-101.106622/ )
3) Instant Up-B Cancel

Brief Explanation
Shield dropping let's you get away from incoming pressure without having to let go of shield. PC Jump Drop allows you to quickly re-land on the platform with 0 landing lag (this is arguably the most important part of the mix-up). Since there's 0 landing lag you can immediately Up-B Cancel once you re-land on the platform.

This move, while EXTREMLY technical, is in my opinion a very viable mix-up option due to how fast it can be executed, and that very few opponents will expect it, leading to them having poor DI and allowing you to have an easy follow-up.

Also, since Up-B Cancel has such a small range (less than jab), if you believe the opponent isn't gonna land close enough for you to connect, you can simply substitute the Up-B Cancel after the PC Jump Drop with another attack, like down smash.

Overall, I believe this technique has a lot of potential if executed correctly. Not only due to it's speed and surprise factor, but also that it has the opportunity to be changed up in many ways, to help further surprise opponents.

I look forward to seeing what the rest of you think.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Ya if you can pull it off it's a viable mix up... it's like... a 1 frame tech followed by a 3 frame tech...

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

I call them Platform Warps, because PC Jump Drop is the most confusing name as it has literally nothing to do with PC drops. Plus the guy that coined that, literally had no idea why it worked, and his description makes it sound like it's a universal tech, which it isn't.

I love this tech, and I want it to be good, but it's just... not. Shielddrop PW to Up-b Cancel will hit on frame 30, that's half a second your opponent has to realise you aren't in shield anymore. 13 frames from the doublejump to see you coming back up, if he isn't gone already. So if you miss the Up-bC or they shield it, they have enough time to grab a sandwich and come back to punish you will whatever they want. I would opt for jab considering it's much safer and has plenty of mixups. But Shielddrop upair will hit on frame 5, nair on frame 4.

PW is a pretty hard tech to do consistently, I practice it a bit everyday and I still can't do it everytime. It's pretty swag, but it's usefulness is very limited and it's super gimmicky. I think you could use it a couple times before they adapt. There maybe some micro-situations where it is a good choice, like they are on the top platform, go are on the lower, you drop down and see him moving to the lower plat, you PW to upsmash or something.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
I firmly believe that 99% of all Up-B canceling usages can be replaced by something easier to pull off and ultimately more effective.

It just looks cool.

Top Bottom