• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use X or Y, and do you use L or R?

Do you use X or Y to jump? Do you use L or R to shield/wavedash/etc.?

• Total voters

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
For funzies. Answer the poll and post an explanation in the thread. "All the stuff" refers to L-canceling, shielding, air-dodging, wavedashing... basically anything that can be done with a shoulder button.

If you are some kinda weirdo that re-maps other buttons to jump or to shield... I don't know what to tell ya. Except you need help.

For example, I use Y to jump because it's the best because it's closer to B and, at least for me, an easier trip to the C-stick.

I use L to L-cancel and R to shield and wavedash / airdodge. I use L to L-cancel because I was used to using Z in the N64 game, and when I was first learning to wavedash I chose R because it felt better to me, it felt easier to do the timing with the jump button vs using L.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I use X to jump because to me, it made the most sense transitioning from the N64 controller where I used down on the C pad like every other sane individual.

I use both shoulder buttons to do stuff, specifically L to shield and spot dodge, and R to L-cancel and wavedash. Dunno why.

Last edited:

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
lmao, you actually made the topic xD

Y - jump

X - taunt (to try to use footstools, although I usually fail and taunt mid-battle...)

L - everything normally associated with shoulder pads

R - set to attack

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Y - Jump
X - Grab
Z - Grab
R - Shield
L - Taunt

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
L to shield because it feels like pressing the Z button in Smash 64.

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
I feel like a player's choice of X or Y comes from how much they balance the use of the Z button and C-Stick.

X-jumpers press their button with their thumb and tend to rest their index finger on Z. The upper lip of the trigger for the R button limits their ability to use their index finger to press it, so they prefer to use L to shield since the left index finger is otherwise completely unoccupied. Some X-jumpers also use their middle finger to cover R for doing a WDOoS, but those who don't utilize this option simply keep this finger gripping the controller by mirroring how their left hand grips it.

Y-jumpers press their button with their thumb (unless they utilize the "claw" position, in which case none of what I'm saying applies) and tend to rest their index finger on R. This limits their ability to simultaneously use both the C-Stick and the Z button without putting lots of strain on their fingers, as they would either need to stretch really far back with their thumb to use the C-Stick or to keep their index finger bent sharply at both of its upper joints for the entire time that they use the controller. They can choose to forgo the use of one in order to comfortably use the other, but this is not practical for obvious reasons. Many Y-jumpers are forced to use Z with the midsection of their index finger rather than with the pad of it as a result, which makes the Z button less responsive. Attempting to use the pad of the index finger while trying to use the pad of the thumb for the C-Stick leaves the Y button out of reach. At this point it would make a lot more sense to use X to jump since it is actually still within reach if the Z button and C-stick are used frequently.

A surprising amount of players don't touch the C-Stick at all. Many others don't use the Z button either, preferring to use R + A to grab or use custom controls to assign the grab function to one of their unused jump buttons. It's a strange world out there.

To put this in perspective, I used to sexually identify as a Y-jumper. After about a year or so, I realized how much my hands hurt after trying to incorporate the Z button into my game. I play G&W, so this was a huge problem for me whenever I tried to use my really awesome DACUS (which I'm pretty sure is the only time the Z button and C-Stick would ever be used in conjunction). Many people have told me that making the switch to another jump button after using one particular button for a really long time is close to impossible, but ever since I made the switch to X I suddenly felt very comfortable playing my character. The new position immediately felt natural and my ability to play my character improved as a result. The only problem with this that I've had to deal with so far was making the transition from using both triggers to just using the left one. I've had to set my R button to "None" to prevent no-reason airdodges and to encourage myself to keep my index finger on the Z button. I miss my L-Cancels pretty much all of the time now since I'm still adjusting, but at least I can feel good about it since DACUS and JC grabs are amazing.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
jump set to a. and grab to b, special to x, footstool to y and attack to z.

if melee had custom controls I'd set it similarly tbh. jump button being right beside special, being able to dedicate a finger to attacks whenever, I still get to use both triggers for WD OoS more easily, it's good

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
X jump. No reason, just do.

L shoulder for all the things, although I want to learn to use R shoulder to wave-dash so I can wave-dash out of shield.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I can't answer the L/R question. I use R to Shield but I use A (set to shield) for Wavedashing and L-cancel and the like. L is set to jump for OoS stuff since I dislike tap-jump but otherwise use Y for jumping.

VinceX

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-7328-0581
X - Jump. I do not remember what made me choose X over Y for jumping, but so far, I'm used to jump with X only.
Y - Taunt. For footstools (Has never done any footstools in an actual match :V)
R - For everything. L is used occasionaly (If I feel like it)

Zarek

Smash Rookie
I use x for all jumping except JC shine out of shield and super quick inputs like that, also L for everything but I needed to learn to wavedash out of shield so I use R for that

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I use X for jump and R to do all the things, L is never touched for some reason.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
X- to jump
Y- grab
R- to do all the stuff
L- huh? There is actually button there? Interesting... Maybe I'll try and see if it can be used with R for stuff... Naaaaaaaa!

Celestis

Smash Ace
What about tap jump?

But I am a Y jumper, and I use both L and R depending on that I am doing.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Y for jumping, L for everything except powershielding, for which I usually use X set to shield. Double clawing, Y is just more comfortable to reach than X and I only switched X to shield when I had sufficiently trained doing stuff with double claw to reach X without discomfort.
Before switching to double claw because of it making most tech easier, I used to do everything with R and jump with X. Which brings me to
X-jumpers press their button with their thumb and tend to rest their index finger on Z. The upper lip of the trigger for the R button limits their ability to use their index finger to press it, so they prefer to use L to shield since the left index finger is otherwise completely unoccupied. Some X-jumpers also use their middle finger to cover R for doing a WDOoS, but those who don't utilize this option simply keep this finger gripping the controller by mirroring how their left hand grips it.
From just my own experience, this isn't true at all, but that may be just because I have relatively large hands (didn't observe how other people handle this stuff). When jumping with X, I'd still both use Z for grabbing and C-Stick for most aerials and it never felt discomforting.

Many people have told me that making the switch to another jump button after using one particular button for a really long time is close to impossible, but ever since I made the switch to X I suddenly felt very comfortable playing my character.
Switching controls is strange at first but from my experience it only takes a few weeks to get used to it. Of course it's harder the more time you put into your old style, but experience carries over to a great degree. I couldn't do perfect DJCs or double shines before clawing, but I can do them with a normal controller grip now. Switching also gets easier the more you do it.

Top Bottom