• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Do You Use The 3D When Playing?

Do you use 3D mode when playing Smash 4 on 3DS?

• Yes - it adds new depth to the game

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • No - I just don't prefer using it for Smash 4

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • No - It obscures the screen while playing

Votes: 25 32.5%

• Total voters

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I don't use 3D because I feel like it obscures my vision when playing Smash, and with all the explosions and attacks going on constantly, it hurts my eyes. I usually don't use 3D at all on any game, as a matter of fact.

So, do you use 3D in Smash 4? What are your opinions on the 3D quality in this game?

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
The 3D on the new 3DS is much better, so I usually play with it on.

I usually have it about halfway on. If it's full I get headaches.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Of course. I swear, I never heard anyone talk about having 3D on and you see fighters fly at your screen. I can't be the only one to ever talk about that.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Not really. Only time I turned the 3D on was during the first time I've played Smash 4 for the 3DS. After that, I barely used it. Same goes for other 3DS games I own.

Link24242

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-3214-6215
I couldn't care less about 3D, so I have a 2DS. I don't even give myself the option.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Even though I got a New 3DS, I will only open 3D when watching replay.
I never used 3D for any of my games whatsoever
I think the super stable 3D is very handy. (I use my brother's New 3DS)

Last edited:

Sir. Murf

Smash Rookie
NNID
girumorf
3DS FC
3883-7264-5387
I have it on occasionally because I like how some of the stages look with added depth.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I'll usually only use it when...

1. I start up the game. I'll have a mess about with it and see how it looks. Usually I won't keep it on though because I don't really want to have to sit with my arms stuck out in front of me in the same spot for prolonged periods of time.
2. When there is a cutscene. Some games with have fancy looking cutscenes, so I might flick it on for that. And example would be maybe the intro for Pokemon games.

The problem with Smash is you will probably be moving your 3ds a fair bit trying to smash attacks and such. So it can easily throw off the 3D effect so you can't see the screen too well.

D

Deleted member

I use it at times just for the fun of it. For the most part, I play it in 2D.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I play with the 3D on a lot more since upgrading, as sweet-spotting the 3D isn't necessary anymore. I like how the game plays with it on, and usually leave it off if I'm playing on the bus. Though with smash, I'll have it on the lowest setting (Which still looks really good on the New 3DS, and it has no issues with headaches or eye strain) but normally have it at just shy of half power with other games.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
I find it incredibly distracting and I'm on the OG 3DS so constantly keeping it aligned/angled is a chore. I only ever turn it on for cinematics.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Rarely, and never in a serious match.

3D is good for trophy viewing though. :denzel:

:231:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
It usually bothers me so I don't use it. I like to view the cut-scenes in 3D though.

Last edited:

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
What does that have to do with using the 3D effect?
I totally read the post wrong lol... I thought you meant using the 3ds as a controller, not the 3D itself. In that case, yeah I never use 3D either, for any games actually. With the old 3DS, the 3D(as most know) is not the best.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
The only time I ever used the 3D mode on Smash is whenever I have paused the game and am trying to take a screenshot with better angles. However, other than that, no, I hardly ever use the 3D feature in gameplay.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow, I'm one of the few who does enjoy using 3D I guess. I even made some 3D screenshots from the Wii U version.... ^^;

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
I never really have used the 3D effect on my 3DS XL... It feels like it slows the console down for some reason.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
Now that I got the New 3DS I always use the 3D effect. I really like the subtle depth it gives the game.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I use it in friendly matches (where I'm winning) and against computers. I turn it off for serious matches or friendly matches where I'm losing.

I like it, but I play better when the angle of my screen isn't a concern. A New 3DS would be cool though. Or just Circle Pad Pro Support.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Hell no, Smash is a fighting game and the 3d lessens my focus when playing

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
I occasionally put 3d on when I play,but usually turn it off around 20 min or later,don't want to get a headache.

BurgleTurd

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurgleTurd
The 3d isn't integral to my gaming experiences with the 3ds, so I normally forget to turn it on.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I almost never use the 3D in Smash 4, I find its 3D is too weak compared to Tales of the Abyss and KH3D, plus for Smash it just seems slightly distracting to me for some reason, yet it was one of the features I was looking forward to when the game was announced.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I use the 3D when it actually adds something to the game.

Smash is a game that only offers two dimensions of movement. I don't need depth perception, because all interactive objects are at the same depth. Plus, when I play in 2D, I get a little bit of anti-aliasing, which is very welcome in the 3DS's low screen resolution.

Some games are more enjoyable when I can more easily recognize the depth of the objects in the screen (Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds are good examples), or even simply when the landscapes look better and more appealing (Like in Kid Icarus Uprising, so ****ing gorgeous).

Neither of those is true for Smash, so 3D stays off. In a 2D game, I prefer the anti-aliasing to pointless depth perception.

Kornaki

Smash Cadet
I use the 3D when it actually adds something to the game.

Smash is a game that only offers two dimensions of movement. I don't need depth perception, because all interactive objects are at the same depth. Plus, when I play in 2D, I get a little bit of anti-aliasing, which is very welcome in the 3DS's low screen resolution.

Some games are more enjoyable when I can more easily recognize the depth of the objects in the screen (Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds are good examples), or even simply when the landscapes look better and more appealing (Like in Kid Icarus Uprising, so ****ing gorgeous).

Neither of those is true for Smash, so 3D stays off. In a 2D game, I prefer the anti-aliasing to pointless depth perception.
You know your landing lag is reduced by one frame if you have the 3d on max right?

Khao

Smash Lord
You know your landing lag is reduced by one frame if you have the 3d on max right?
Really? I had no idea.

But I don't think I'll need it, I'm already using the well-known Wireless-Cancel technique, where landing lag is cut completely if you turn wi-fi on/off just before landing. Makes the game so much faster.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I usually always use the 3D effect on pretty much every game. However lately I've noticed that for Smash, I haven't used the 3D effect as much.

D

Deleted member

I just got Smash for the 3DS a few days ago but no I don't use the 3D at all or for any of my games for that matter. It gives me a headache and makes me dizzy.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty nice to use while playing Pokemon, but for Smash its hard to keep up. 3D off is the way to go for my eyes.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I play every 3ds game with the 3D all the way on, all the time, every time, always, yes.

Always had it on with my OG 3ds

Always have it on with my NEW 3ds XL

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
This is the only game where I do not like using the 3D with. Even with the New 3DS XL, I refuse to use it with Sm4sh. When the camera zooms in and part of the stage gets cut off from view, it bothers my eyes. The 3D only ends with headache for me.

Top Bottom