• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think that Nintendo/Sakurai would release more DLC characters in Smash Bros 4 port in Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
If there a Smash Bros 4 port for Nintendo Switch, do you think that Nintendo/Sakurai would release more DLC characters?
Looks like impossible, do you know why?

The Smash Bros 4 3DS and Wii U development is over, nobody is working on DLC stuff for Super Smash Bros 4 anymore. Just correct me if i'm wrong.

Do you think that this is possible?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Depends on what you're asking, if you mean like, if it's possible they'll make new characters for a port then yeah, absolutely, but if you mean they'll make characters for the ports and add them to Wii U + 3DS as DLC despite development being over on those two consoles then no, I don't think so, they have to have some incentives for Smash Wii U and 3DS owners to buy the port and a couple stages isn't going to do it for most people lol.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I think it may be possible, because they have to have some sort of incentive to buy the game again other than "It's on our new system!". And if any character is to be added to the port I think Ice Climbers would have a high chance mainly due to the fact they were being worked on before the whole 3DS issue (and the fact there was fanfare of them still in the game from what I remember).

I honestly don't expect much. Maybe three new comers and perhaps the Switch will get some of the 3DS exclusive Stages in HD, who knows? But whether or not it's DLC or (hopefully) they're already included they need to have something to make it worth buying for a second (or for others, a third) time. I'd probably still end up buying it either way but others may not if nothing new is offered.

In the end, I do believe it's very likely. We may not get a lot but I'd be happy with whatever. One thing that worries me is if it will have to share itself with it's Wii U/3DS versions rather than be its own game despite being a port. I also wonder about the previous DLC.

We'll find out (hopefully) pretty soon.

D

Deleted member

If Smash for Switch is a thing, we'll have to wait and see.
I imagine that it would be a port of the Wii U version with all of the DLC content. We might see additional content to justify buying the game again, though I am still not 100% certain.
If there is new content on the Switch, I wonder if that content has to be shared with the Wii U and 3DS versions as well through DLC. If that's the case, then Ice Climbers might not even return again.
For now, let's see if the rumors are true.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
It's a bit of a mixed signal: Sakurai's stated on several occasions he required both versions of Smash 4 to have identical rosters, but in order to entice people to purchase the game (potentially for the third time), new content has to be present.

And it's absurd to assume that Nintendo's only going to push, say, new stages as the selling point.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I'd imagine it could be similar to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, just add all DLC, add new characters (or returning ones since 3ds and wii U DON'T NEED TO BE THE SAME THING). Another patch, and done! Though I think Sakurai wouldn't like re-releasing the same game on a new console with bonus content.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If a Nintendo Switch port is ever made, any additional characters will pretty much be exclusive to the Switch.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Well if they could add those Inklings and :4bowserjr: and folks like that in MK8 Deluxe, ain't no point in me playing what's installed on my Wii U. Besides, I refuse to play that without a more comfortable controller, but I digress.

I'm personally split between yes and no with what's being asked here. No in the sense that if y'all can get new characters and all DLC free of charge for the Switch port of Mario Kart 8, maybe Smash will get that same treatment. Yes in the sense the DLC that Smash had was worth my money. Now that was my very first time buying DLC and it felt great. ****, I wouldn't mind shelling out more for the Switch port should they put out more downloadable content for that.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
If a Nintendo Switch port is ever made, any additional characters will pretty much be exclusive to the Switch.
That can be agreeable. Besides, support on updates and such ended on 3ds and wii u a long time ago on 1.1.6. It is unlikely that will add anything new to them at this point

Last edited:

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
The real question on everyone's minds, if a Switch version with a couple new characters is released, will that effectively kill off the Wii U version?

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
The real question on everyone's minds, if a Switch version with a couple new characters is released, will that effectively kill off the Wii U version?
Or if many would STAY loyal to the Wii U version rather than a version only on the switch.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think new content is guaranteed to be in the Switch port of SSB4, otherwise people simply won't buy it.

I think we're going to see at least a couple of returning characters and potentially up to three new ones. Inklings are practically a shoe-in.

It kind of begs the question as to whether it can truly be called a "port". With new content, updated graphics and tweaked gameplay, it'd basically be a new game. Maybe they could get rid of some of the newcomers in SSB4 to accomodate newer characters. Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit and Duck Hunt weren't very well received, and we have something like six Fire Emblem reps, most of whom are almost identical in how they play. I think most of these could stand to be culled to make room for more interesting characters.

It wouldn't be unprecedented for a developer to get rid of certain characters in a port of a game, as Capcom did it in the transition between X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter which were ostensibly the same game with different content.

Some of who I'd like to see in the game are Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, Lip, Snake, and a larger heavyweight Wario with a moveset based on Warioland instead of Warioware. Warioland Wario is by far my #1 wish.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Depends, if they release a new GC controller adaptor and/or a wired controller option then yes, I think it would, if it doesn't though, it's really up in the air, because without wired controllers hosting Tournies will be a nightmare, the game will be less suited towards competitive play because more input lag, yadda yadda yadda, I think a lot of people would want to stick to the Wii U version, competitively, at least.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be more likely that they'll make a Smash 5 instead of just porting Smash 4 to the Switch? And if it's true I hope they have more obscure Nintendo characters as the DLC. I think six guest characters is a good limit.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be more likely that they'll make a Smash 5 instead of just porting Smash 4 to the Switch? And if it's true I hope they have more obscure Nintendo characters as the DLC. I think six guest characters is a good limit.
The thread IS based off of ideas and such. We don't know if everything will be ported to the switch or not.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Or if many would STAY loyal to the Wii U version rather than a version only on the switch.
Considering that you can set up your own hacks on the Wii U, it wouldn't surprise me if some people will stay loyal to the Wii U version. Heck, some Mario Kart 8 hackers won't even bother with the Switch port.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There is almost no reason to get Smash Switch unless there are new characters or special attack variants for the characters without them.

If Ice Climbers and Pichu and Snake are included, then every Smash character (except arguably Young Link which seems to have just morphed into Toon Link) will be included.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
There is almost no reason to get Smash Switch unless there are new characters or special attack variants for the characters without them.

If Ice Climbers and Pichu and Snake are included, then every Smash character (except arguably Young Link which seems to have just morphed into Toon Link) will be included.
You mention Pichu and Snake, yet neglect Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur...

SSBBorn

Smash Rookie
I do. Sakurai doesn't owe use anything, but from a business perspective, it would be foolish not too had a couple new characters, stages, etc. If I had to take a guess at which characters would get the nod, I'd say Inkling(s), Ice Climbers, and Wolf.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Nintendo Switch port would probably implement all the DLC from the 3DS and Wii U versions onto the Switch's main game card (much like with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe). It could also have a couple fighters who are exclusive to the Switch. For some inputs...
  • Ice Climbers
  • Wolf
  • Inkling (newcomer)
  • Waddle Dee (newcomer)
  • King K. Rool (newcomer)
As for the game modes, I'd probably say that Special Orders and Smash Run will stick around. As for the challenges, keep them more around Smash 3DS's level, instead of those absurdly hard challenges that can be heavily stressful to beat.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
They should go with the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe approach, only no new characters assuming they're going by Sakurai's philosophy that one version will have all the characters as the other. If it's on Switch, it would also have to be on 3DS and Wii U.

While new characters would definitely help sell the "superior" Smash version greatly if it came on Switch, I think it would also hurt the game at a tournament level as well if it had character exclusives. Ice Climbers could work on Switch, absolutely. They would be an amazing, iconic duo to bring back as vets. But what about those still stuck with the 3DS/Wii U versions? Someone like Wolf or whoever would be great, but I truly think the characters have to be in all three versions in order to keep things consistent.

If I were them, I would make a Smash 4 Deluxe have every DLC, characters, stages, etc, all on one disk, as well as additional stage content to release between all three games to make every owner of these consoles happy. Though even having stages exclusive to Switch wouldn't be too bad.

I dunno, it would be really difficult I think.

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
I really hope that the original Smash 4 versions get the characters too. For monetary reasons I can't get the Switch, and it would really bum me out to miss out on some new characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom