• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Sakurai has any personal regret for simplifying Smash Bros?

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
Hear me out first, please, before replying!

I do not want to make a stir, and I want to start off by saying I love Brawl to the core of my being. While it has gone many changes from Melee, it is certainly still very much a Super Smash Bros game. Even if only for the new characters, stages and modes, I love Brawl and have no intention to pick up Melee again.

Now, that being said, there is obviously a lot of (legitimate) outcry about the changes from Melee to Brawl. This outcry goes beyond trolls and ****stirrers, as well, but comes from people who adored and played unimaginable amount of hours of Melee.

I think the observation that it is slower, and on a basic level, easier to pick up for a first timer, is an accurate one. If you dispute this, look around you, and then if you still dispute this, you're deluded.

Within my small community, it has definitely leveled the playing fields. A friend who was just learning the Melee ropes in anticipation for Brawl and was defeated more often than not by the rest of us, now wins quite a bit of the time in fights that are almost always very even (although that's not to deny that there is skill necessary in Brawl in Melee-- we always play sans items, but he had a lot of catching up to do from Melee, loaded with difficult-to-execute-and-master advanced techniques).

Another good example of the increased accessibility/decreased difficulty (whichever euphemism you prefer) is the change in suicide rates between the game. In Melee, it was easy to commit suicide. In Brawl, it's difficult to commit suicide (the occasional one of course can even happen to the best of us).

Also in favour of the simplification from Melee to Brawl is the removal of L-cancelling (intentional feature in Melee that was difficult to master, but payed off, kind o f like teching), and the inclusion of new items that even the playing field even more than the previously list of items (Final Smashes and the Dragoon comes to mind).

But I digress, for this is not what this thread is about.

My question to you, is as follows: Do you think Sakurai has anyl regret for the simplification of Brawl, on a strictly personal level?

Consider this: The Nintendo Wii targets a far broader audience than the other next-gen consoles on the market. One of the main business strategys is making the product accessible to as many demographics as possible. The most obvious result of this strategy is that the conventional controller has been ditched. People hear about the Wii through the media from articles about how even seniors are playing the thing, and of course about how popular it is. Then, of course, they try it at a friend's house, and see it's the real deal! They're playing baseball, bowling, tennis, using real motions! It's incredible!

The kicker is, that instead of plinking down ~$400-$600 for the console (as very few non-gamers are willing to do), all they need to do is throw down the relatively cheap ~$270.

I'm sure the case quite often is that after a few months, these Wiis sit there, collecting dust, with Wii Sports still in the drive, coming out only when the friends are over, or maybe being revived for Guitar Hero III (another game with a lot of mainstream hype).

Now comes creating Super Smash Bros for the Wii.

Super Smash Bros is a guaranteed hit. Melee's sales will tell you that. Smash Bros will be a huge success. That's not the problem here, though. The problem is that it will only be a success because it will only be picked up by all the conventional gamers, the same gamers who (if they can get past fanboyism) are also interested in Xbox360 and PS3 games.

So the question here, is, since we've expanded our target audience sooooo much, how do we appeal to them with a game that can only use a conventional control style?

I'm not sure if you have all tried to introduce Smash Bros Melee to a non-gamer, such as a family member. I'm sure many of you have, and most of you have probably discovered that Melee can be quite tricky for the first time for someone who is a non-gamer. That's definitely a turn-off for a lot of people. It's at first, due to the speed, difficult to control yourself and easy to kill yourself. Even something so simple to us as the third jump is difficult to grasp, initially, for a first-timer.

Now, I just want to get something out of the way:
For Nintendo (as with any company), potential profits have a say in the final product. I don't mean this in some sort of sinister, anti-capitalist way, but c'mon, they're a business! If you think Nintendo is trying to make the best possible game for a select few hardcores, you're sorely mistaken.

What I'm saying, here, is that I'm positive that Sakurai, somewhere down the line, must have been prodded to adapt the game so the final product would yield more profits. Nintendo would be crazy to not try to guide the game in the direction of more profits.

What I am implying as well, is that in order to increase Smash Bros' demographic range, it must be made easier to pick up than the previous incarnation. Lets face it, it's not like the majority of the people who tested Smash Bros were hardcore gamers. I'm sure most were the non-gamer types, with dusty Wiis, still loaded with Wii Sports. For Nintendo to only collect the limited input of hardcore gamers would be ludicrous, and no business-wise.

All this is not to say that this game wasn't Sakurai's game, I'm quite sure he poured his soul into this game. However, every designer has their specs to work with, and seeing this game is to appeal to a far wider audience, I'm sure the general message from Nintendo to Sakurai is "lets make this game easier to pick up".

This is where things get controversial

It is a common opinion, one that I share, that because of the changes between Melee and Brawl, Brawl has less depth than it's predecessor.

Now, if you think this means I prefer Melee to Brawl, take a moment to reread the first paragraph.

My opinion is also subject to change, should some new information and techniques be discovered (and I think there is a good likelyhood of that possibility). As it currently stands, with what we know about Brawl, my opinion is that the fighting as a whole has less depth.

Do you think Sakurai would rather play a Brawl that was more like Melee?

I find Sakurai to be mysterious, and of course, it would be hard to find any transcript or footage of a private conversation to give us a better idea to find more about his game opinions outside of the public eye.

For those who are curious, my opinions on how Brawl could be improved are that it would be better if it were sped up a crank (not quite as fast as Melee), if it were made a little more difficult in certain regards (ie not being able to grab a ledge while facing the opposite way), and if they gave back L-cancelling, as another technique that while difficult to pull off, rewards the player for doing it.

So, profits aside, how do you think Sakurai would make Brawl differently?.

WolfBane

Smash Rookie
My question is who said Melee wasn’t super easy to pick up and play?

There was nothing complex about melee for the average 'play for fun' player; Direction+A, Direction+B, Jump, Block, Grab. As opposed to 'down on the control stick circling 90 degrees toward your opponent then circling 180 degrees away then pushing A-A-B’, that being 1 move out of 20 others all with different inputs.

No one held a gun to anyone head and yelled 'wavedash or die!'. If you and your friends wanted to take melee to the next level of game play, it was there. Items started getting in the way, so you turned them off alone with some annoying random stages. Now instead of enjoying the 'party game' you enjoy the hardcore 'fighting game'.

Melee was perfect to that extent, only clashes of the 2 group would happen at tourneys where the more casual player didn’t know what they were getting into.

feyth

Smash Rookie
I don't think Melee, or indeed the series in general, was too complex to begin with.

I mean, the controls are considered simple. I've heard that uttered in many magazines and websites. The game was fun for me because I played Smash 64 casually, and it was fun learning the new stuff. My less-game aqainted friends could put up a good fight against me because of the aforemention control scheme.

To get to the point, though, I don't think Sakurai has any regrets. In my opinion, I enjoy Brawl's pacing over Melee's, but that's just me. I think, if you scratch beneath the surface, there may be stuff to complain about.

I think that's SSB's main attraction though. Simple but at the same time complex. It may have been dumbed down, but to me, I can't say I've noticed too much. That's just me though!

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
No Super Smash Bros. game has been difficult to pick up and play. That being said I disagree with your statement that Brawl lacks Melee's depth. If anything Brawl has much more depth than Melee. The new physics and disappearance of several advanced techniques has forced players to learn to appreciate the psychological and mental strategy of the game over mindless SHFFLing and Wavedashing with a few hits in between. I'm sure new techs will be developed and everything, but for now all I can see is that in Sakurai's "simplifying" of the game he also created a deeper experience that will take more than just a few months to fully appreciate and understand.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
He made it this way so it can appeal to more people. Personally, I think the casuals would be it no matter what because they want to play as teh CoOlZ SnOic nad sNakE. Meh.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai wanted to make a game that was fun for everyone, not just competitive players.. I think his fully satisfied with how the game came out to tell you the truth, and I don't see why he would have personal regret seeing as how he isn't a competitive gamer himself.

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
I think that he knows exactly what he was/is doing and has zero regrets about the playability of the game. All that happened so far is that it is indeed easier for a non-veteran smasher to pick up the game and perhaps beat a veteran smasher. The only real difference is that the game is slower and that advanced 'techniques' were taken out. Brawl will still be competitive just at a more common level.

-Link-

Cookiez

Smash Ace
No, because he's probably ****ing loaded.

But seriously, I wish he did feel some kind of regret... I mean, tripping... Ara ara...

Also @ Link

"Brawl will still be as competetive, just at a more common level"?

lol.

WolfBane

Smash Rookie
Sakurai wanted to make a game that was fun for everyone, not just competitive players.. I think his fully satisfied with how the game came out to tell you the truth, and I don't see why he would have personal regret seeing as how he isn't a competitive gamer himself.
So, ONLY competitive players enjoyed Melee?
Melee was perfect in the way a player can get better and better with out reaching some type of limitation. Brawl is full of limited game play while Melee had very very little. If you could push the buttons fast enough almost anything could be done in Melee, never did I feel I was limited by the game only my own skill was limited or needed improvement.

They should of never of put limitations into Brawl to make it more noob friendly, because Melee was already noob friendly. This only annoys and degrades the smash players that love the competitive fighting aspect that we enjoyed so much about Melee. (refer to earlier post)

DDM

Smash Journeyman
If you read the Brawl preview in EGM, the U.S. producer talks about how Sakurai's original vision was for the game to be FUN FIRST, not what we read about on these boards. Face it: the game was not designed with the competitive circuit in mind. It was a by-product of some glitches found in Melee, combined with the intriguing concept and people's competitive nature. These glitches were tweaked, characters and stages added, and here we have Brawl. But if you look around, I don't think the competitive circuit has suffered too much, and the new characters (especially the 3rd party characters) have created a lot more intrigue and will reach a much wider audience. If anything I think it's caused the competitive players to hone their skills all the more. I know I have.

Just my opinion.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
On the contrary, I think Sakurai is proud of himself for simplifying the game. Smash Bros. in general was never meant to be complex or deep in the first place. Of course there will always be those people who absolutely must understand and master every facet of the game's engine, but as you (TC) said, Brawl was specifically aimed at a broader demographic.

Simpler to play = more people will be inclined to play it = more people will like it = more people buying Brawl/Wiis = more gold-plated Lamborghinis for Sakurai. Of course you could argue that it has more to do with it than money, but I don't feel like getting into all of that.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...Acturlly in a interview with Sakurai he clearly stated that he didn't want brawl to be completive and that he doesn't think the game to be taken to such a level.

He wants it to be played just between your friend and family.

Also I really don't think anyone would go so far and to add tripping if they held any positive thoughts toward the smash completive scene.

Maldazzar

Smash Cadet
I doubt that he has any regrets for Brawl. SSB has never been an extremely hard game to begin with. It's always been easy to unlock things such as levels or characters. With that being said, I don't think that the removal of some of the old advanced techniques particularly dumbs down or simplifies the game. I think new ones will be discovered and really, even without those techniques, it puts players into a little bit of a more equal setting.

I think in some respects, Brawl has been harder than its predecessors (breaking open all those windows for example), and in others it simplifies it for more people to enjoy.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe Sakurai has any regrets for Brawl. I mean, read how he stated things on the Dojo... he went crazy and said bizarre things almost in a comical matter sometimes. It was definitely more of a "fun" game to him than to be competitive. And even though he said that he doesn't Brawl to be taken to such a high competitive level, I doubt it really bothers him. I also think that he may have been referring to finding glitches and exploiting them (Wavedashing, for example) and almost only using them in matches with a few simple regular A attacks here and there.

When I watches matches of pro Melee games... I felt like it wasn't how the game was made to be played. Likely, that's what Sakurai was probably trying to get at in his statement. Melee was almost no playing by the usual standards and pure wavedashing and other advanced techniques.

Of course, that's just what I think. Also, many of you in this thread have good views and concepts of what Sakurai thinks as well.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai loves this game.
I don't think he's created anything he regrets--especially not for any aspect as fundamental as who the game will be played by.

This series was always simple. A select few made it more complex.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Smash Bros is an easy game to learn...

for people who have already played video games.

This is something easily forgotten in a community such as this comprised solely of gamers. There's a whole world of people out there where even the relatively simple controls of Smash Bros are daunting.

I've seen people who can't successfully execute a smash attack ever. Hell, there's some complexity right there: tilt attacks versus smash attacks. Or how about the idea of recovering back onto the stage? You have to jump once at just the right time. You can't spam the jump button over and over unless you're one of the multi jump characters (and this is why Kirby is the best character for beginners), and then you have to remember to hit up + b.

Again, simple for people here, but this is no indicator of people who hardly play any video games.

Axis

Smash Apprentice
The biggest issue with a game being "competitive" or not lies within the longevity of the game.

First off: Brawl is a good game, and it's fun...but its a step backwards from Melee; anyone who says brawl has more depth than melee is kidding themselves or has no idea what theyre talking about.

Second: Like I said, I enjoy brawl a lot, but with the limitations of the game and what a see as a very low ceiling of skill (meaning you can only get so good at the game) compared to Melee which has no ceiling at all, I dont see myself or very many people playing this game for anywhere near as long as Melee has lasted thus far. And in all honesty that is rather annoying to me, and it shows the game industry going the way of the music / movie industry. Hype the living crap out of a shallow game so that everyone buys it the day it comes out and then gets bored of it and stops paying it in a few months. In all fairness, as long as the game sells really well up front the company makes just as much money

My prediction for the game's future...

With the massive cash cow that this game is and the staggering amount of pre-orders, im sure theyre allready working on making another one that will come out in a few years. Making a game that is fun but shallow is a much better business model anyways...its called planned obsolescence, meaning that they made the game short of your expectations and with less longevity so that you would be bored of the old one and chomping at the bit for the next installment once it was ready for release.

Anyways, I hope im wrong and Brawl gets more fun for me, im giving it 3 months or so, and if it dosent get any better im going to have to go back to melee...

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the only ones that were hurt with Brawl being simplified is us.

As for Sakurai, he's to busy hugging his moneybags to care.

Remember, they don't make more profit off of a games replay value.
As long as you bought it, you can play it for 1 month or 7 years. Makes no difference to them.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Smash Brothers has always been about complexity through simplicity. SSBB is just as simple and complex as 64 and Melee were. As the series progresses, techniques are added and removed. Techniques are constantly discovered. The techniques of yesterday are replaced with the techniques of today.

People look at SSBB and say, "Hmm, look how simple this is! Wavedashing, l-canceling, analog shielding; it's all gone! Everything is more simplified!"

Yet others are constantly figuring out new game-bending, ways to be faster and stronger than the opponent.

What does that mean? It means Sakurai's team did not simplify SSB with this new installment, they merely made it look more simple.

Axis

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure the only ones that were hurt with Brawl being simplified is us.

As for Sakurai, he's to busy hugging his moneybags to care.

Remember, they don't make more profit off of a games replay value.
As long as you bought it, you can play it for 1 month or 7 years. Makes no difference to them.

word.
QFT
Indeed
etc.

Top Bottom