• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Dedede is going to receive major buffs like Ike and link received next patch?

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
I personally think that king Dedede is going to receive major buffs. What would you like to see buff for :4dedede:
Personally I would like:
  1. Buff on forward air with damage or less ending lag
  2. Faster start up with neutral B
  3. Forward tilt clanking with projectiles
  4. Huge lag reduction on swallowing projectiles and heal when he swallows ( :4wario: and :4kirby:both heal from eating projectiles why not us)
  5. damage reduction on gordos that are reflected(with another attack not an actual reflector) back on you(meaning that a gordo that is hit back at you is does not do more damage then when it is normally thrown)
  6. Kill throw (this alone will boast Dedede on the tiers)
  7. Up tilted gordos spiking people on the ledge if it directly hits them from the top
  8. down b being able to reflect projectiles ( the longer you hold it the faster and stronger the reflected projectile is)
  9. less ending lag on down B plus range up
I think theses buffs would make dedede move up a tier, personally I don't see 7 or 8 happening but it would be interesting if they did do that.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Dedede needs buffs, but Ike was really really bad when he was buffed.

1. less ending lag plz, but not more damage. It does enough.
2. absolutely agree. shouldn't be slower than the custom inhales at all.
3. It does though...doesn't it? I've clanked before. Maybe it doesn't work with all projectiles. Also if it currently doesn't clank with regular attacks so that's a plus.
4. I think we heal from some. I don't eat projectiles ever really, so I don't know.
5. Why? that's not how projectiles work.
6. unnecessary when all of DDD's moves are lethal.
7. They do do that. I've spiked people like that before.
8. It doesn't? That's odd....
9. meh.

Last edited:

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
@
We always get this kind of threads and never a buff.
That is the tragic life for the king, we just need to stay strong and one we will get the buff we deserve and will finally be able clobah the roster like we clobah dat there kirbeh.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
Dedede needs buffs, but Ike was really really bad when he was buffed.

1. less ending lag plz, but not more damage. It does enough.
2. absolutely agree. shouldn't be slower than the custom inhales at all.
3. It does though...doesn't it? I've clanked before. Maybe it doesn't work with all projectiles. Also if it currently doesn't clank with regular attacks so that's a plus.
4. I think we heal from some. I don't eat projectiles ever really, so I don't know.
5. Why? that's not how projectiles work.
6. unnecessary when all of DDD's moves are lethal.
7. They do do that. I've spiked people like that before.
8. It doesn't? That's odd....
9. meh.
Really I didn't know gordos spiked people on the ledge I thought it just launched them away also we don't heal from any projectiles (or none that I know of) EX: :4wario: and :4kirby: both heal from most of :4megaman: projectiles while king dedede just swallows it :4wario: can even eat all:4megaman: 3 lemons (standard a) in a row, also another example is items like crates and capsules where both :4kirby: and:4wario: heal while :4dedede: doesn't. The only advantage :4dedede:has over :4wario: and :4kirby: eating abilities is that only :4dedede: can eat gordos which isn't as useful as it seems.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Really I didn't know gordos spiked people on the ledge I thought it just launched them away.
Actually I think I misinterpreted your point. If they are hanging on the ledge then it will just hit them away and not spike, yes.

But if up-tilted gordo hits them on the 1-frame of vulnerability they get the moment they grab the ledge it spikes.

This happened to me once. The gordo hit Rosalina through the stage just as she grabbed it. I didn't even save the match :(

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I'm afraid that if they look at dedede and attempt to buff him, they may also nerf his jab cancel, like they did link's.

Otherwise, I'd like to see f-air autocancel.

And just because I think it'd be super cool, make it so that dedede can inhale projectiles and spit them back out. Imagine sucking up a samus charge shot and spitting it right back in her face!

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
1. I don't think Fair really needs more damage, the move is fine imo. If you're canceling fair you're not playing correctly with the move. It's a move you full jump with or use off stage. If you wanted a lagless short hop option bair is going to be your go to for that.

2. inhale needs massive changes. It's current iteration is fine in brawl because of grab armor, but the changes to grab armor in this game make the move incredibly risky and in most cases with little reward. I mostly use inhale with B reversals as a mix up most of the time. A lot of people suggest the treatment kirby got with his inhale which was reduced end lag. A little silly how easily punishable the move is.

3. Not 100% sure about that, might be a bit too safe and easy of an option for him to just stop projectiles.

4. This would depend on if inhale received any other changes/buffs/nerfs because I see the amount of time it takes to swallow a projectile as a clear form of counter play to the move. At least that's how it seems to be intended.

5. This makes zero sense. Reflecting gordo has a damage multiplier which is based off the strength of the move reflecting it. They would have to change a few big fundamental properties of reflect to do that.

6. I don't really think DDD deserves a kill throw. A lot of DDDs don't even really utilize Fthrows potential, which is quite a bit especially when combined with gordo set ups for dirty combos. Though I think it would be nice to see that angle of the trajectory of back throw changed.

7. As far as the direction that Gordo sends people, it's fine. Gordo does not deserve a meteor smash.

8. I don't think there's anything they could do to down B to buff it without completely breaking it. It's a move that's just gonna have to be overhauled in future smash games because it's actually pure garbage.

9. This one I REALLY REALLY would like to see, because DDD has a huge lack of mix ups for recovery imo and the ending lag on up B is stupid long. Even if they took away some of the damage on it to compensate, I'd be 100% just to have a safer mix up to my recovery.

I just want my jab to stop making people slide behind me when they roll INTO me (not behind me) and to actually COMBO from jab 1 to 2.

Last edited:

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
I'm afraid that if they look at dedede and attempt to buff him, they may also nerf his jab cancel, like they did link's.

Otherwise, I'd like to see f-air autocancel.

And just because I think it'd be super cool, make it so that dedede can inhale projectiles and spit them back out. Imagine sucking up a samus charge shot and spitting it right back in her face!
I don't think they'll remove it, it's probably going to be the last jab infinite to be removed.

I always thought that spitting back projectiles would be nice but I forgot to put it down, but if that were to happen I feel like he would not spit the projectile directly out, but rather he would shot out a star with the strength of the projectile + a multiplier.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Before I say anything else, I just want to say, it's so pointless sitting around waiting for buffs. Hoping to yourself is nice, Lord knows I do it from time to time, but I'd really much rather see threads showcasing insane Gordo tricks and other crazy **** DDD can do instead of another 'maybe we'll just be good next time' thread.
  1. Like everyone else said, fair is good enough as is. We should focus our hopes where Dedesy actually needs it.
  2. I think less endlag would be better, imo.
  3. I wish. This trips me up all the time. Agree 100%.
  4. OK, this is my theory of why Inhale is inferior. Kirby was born with the ability. Same with Wario. Dedede? He had to teach it to himself. That's why he isn't as proficient with the ability like Kirby. This is also why he can't heal himself. It's not natural. King Dedede is one of Sakurai's babies, and I'm sure he wants to especially accurately represent the King's skills, even if it hurts him competitively. This is why I don't see Inhale getting buffed.
  5. Eh. But why, though?
  6. This would be very nice, but Fthrow is pretty much a guaranteed kill at high %s imo. It's incredibly easy to read their recovery, and then just fair or something.
  7. Gordos stagespike already. It's pretty great.
  8. Would be neat, and give some use to the move besides style, but can't really see it, as that would involve COMPLETELY reworking its properties.
  9. See #8, but with more hope and enthusiasm.
I think someone mentioned Dedesy's jab lock, and how it could be potentially ruined, ala Link. Honestly, it's impossible to pull off if your opponent knows what DI is. I'm not too worried about it.

Personally, the buffs I'd like to see are the following:

• Make grab and jab's frame data faster. Nothing is more irritating than losing to every single damn grab in the game.
That's really about it, besides maybe some Jet Hammer and Inhale tweaking, but I don't have any expectations for that.

I still believe DDD is 100% viable the way he is. (of course, a partner to help with the Sonics and ZSSs of the world is highly recommended) As long as he isn't nerfed, I won't complain.

just please for the love of everything don't nerf him again

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Yeah, Links got nerfed because to my understanding it was a legitimate lock, DDD does not have an infinite from his jab. The guy who posted that video on Youtube is either a massively successful troll or was actually born with downs.

Honestly DDDs jab cancel doesn't have too many incredibly consistent options outside of Dtilt. While Grab works well on a good portion of the cast out of jab canceling, most relevant characters in the meta are going to have stupid fast nairs that pretty much completely stops you from pulling it off. Also Dash grab...

Dsmash works too, but not nearly as consistently as the other two. Usually not a good idea vs competent players or fast fallers. Sooooo basically I see little reason as to why they would nerf it.

Most of the time I tend to agree with Jimmys opinion, and honestly faster jabs and grabs would do wonders for DDD.

Last edited:

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
Before I say anything else, I just want to say, it's so pointless sitting around waiting for buffs. Hoping to yourself is nice, Lord knows I do it from time to time, but I'd really much rather see threads showcasing insane Gordo tricks and other crazy **** DDD can do instead of another 'maybe we'll just be good next time' thread.
  1. Like everyone else said, fair is good enough as is. We should focus our hopes where Dedesy actually needs it.
  2. I think less endlag would be better, imo.
  3. I wish. This trips me up all the time. Agree 100%.
  4. OK, this is my theory of why Inhale is inferior. Kirby was born with the ability. Same with Wario. Dedede? He had to teach it to himself. That's why he isn't as proficient with the ability like Kirby. This is also why he can't heal himself. It's not natural. King Dedede is one of Sakurai's babies, and I'm sure he wants to especially accurately represent the King's skills, even if it hurts him competitively. This is why I don't see Inhale getting buffed.
  5. Eh. But why, though?
  6. This would be very nice, but Fthrow is pretty much a guaranteed kill at high %s imo. It's incredibly easy to read their recovery, and then just fair or something.
  7. Gordos stagespike already. It's pretty great.
  8. Would be neat, and give some use to the move besides style, but can't really see it, as that would involve COMPLETELY reworking its properties.
  9. See #8, but with more hope and enthusiasm.
I think someone mentioned Dedesy's jab lock, and how it could be potentially ruined, ala Link. Honestly, it's impossible to pull off if your opponent knows what DI is. I'm not too worried about it.

Personally, the buffs I'd like to see are the following:

• Make grab and jab's frame data faster. Nothing is more irritating than losing to every single damn grab in the game.
That's really about it, besides maybe some Jet Hammer and Inhale tweaking, but I don't have any expectations for that.

I still believe DDD is 100% viable the way he is. (of course, a partner to help with the Sonics and ZSSs of the world is highly recommended) As long as he isn't nerfed, I won't complain.

just please for the love of everything don't nerf him again
For 5 I find it very frustrating when they hit the gordo back at you and fail to hit it back and more damage then it actually does normally,but it just a minor annoyance with the the only solution is to get gud.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Yeah, Links got nerfed because to my understanding it was a legitimate lock, DDD does not have an infinite from his jab. The guy who posted that video on Youtube is either a massively successful troll or was actually born with downs.

Honestly DDDs jab cancel doesn't have too many incredibly consistent options outside of Dtilt. While Grab works well on a good portion of the cast out of jab canceling, most relevant characters in the meta are going to have stupid fast nairs that pretty much completely stops you from pulling it off. Also Dash grab...
I didnt mean D3's was a true jab infinite. I'm just hoping they dont take away the ability to cancel his jab, period, because it is nice to have, even if it's not very good. And people arent machines; a jab-jab-grab can still catch people.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Dedede is a solid middle tier.I think they're happy with where he is at. There are some things I'd like added, but really, I don't think we can count on more than minor tweaks, unless the meta shifts is some insane way.

Though, I would like something to help with some of his really bad matchups.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Yeah inhale needs reduced end lag and fair autocanceling would be nice but to me none of that is a game changer. It won't really help much with his matchups with the top 15 characters.

In my opinion, to compete with the top tiers Dedede needs better frame data. Flat out. That's what will make him more viable in tourneys. He hits hard but I think his bad mobility and huge hurtbox is penalty enough in exchange for his power. I don't see why jab, bair, ftilt and especially dair have to come out as slow as they do. Dedede's frame data is really holding the character back from being good.

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I want at least TWO of these buffs:

-Back throw back to its insanity
-To become a true grappling character, sort of like luigi. In other words, d throw combos much longer.
- Down b faster, and have the insane radius and movement from PM
-UP b breaking shields
-Up b cancelling by pressing down instead of up

Then I could be satisfied with all the shortcomings of him.

Having the grab armor on inhale would be good too.

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Do I think Dedede is going to receive major buffs? Yes. I've been hoping for Wii Fit Trainer and Dedede love for the last two patches and am excited/desperate for another patch. The only specific buff I want is a faster transition from jab1 to jab2 and a general increase in frame data.

Pretty sure I'm just desperate for better frame data though. This is coming from the guy whose assuming this new conquest is a tease/data gathering for Dedede, Jigglypuff, G&W, Kirby, and Mewtwo buffs. (Let me dream. ;-; )

Last edited:

sutper

Smash Rookie
His back air seems to miss the opponent a lot even when his hammer animation overlaps with the opponent. I think they should fix the hit box on that to make it hit more consistently. There's also the problem where the back air won't even come out because you hit the floor.

Fix the hitbox and make the move faster so you can do it fast falling without messing up as often.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Short answer: no :4dedede: buffs will happen; I think that's been pretty consistent across all patches so far. There's a 10% piece of me that still hopes, but that's just because I love dedeking.

What D3 needs, they'll never give him: completely revamped moves. We have nothing fast enough and safe enough to threaten just outside grab range, and still are weak to camping. So we're at a disadvantage far away AND up close? Come on, Nintendo.

But. Fixes/improvements on hitboxes would be great. Fair needs to match its animation (the bottom part of the swing doesn't hit). Fair could be faster - if it was then fast enough to auto-cancel, that would be significant. Bair also should hit a little more below and in front of D3 to match its animation.

They're not going to nerf our "jab cancel", because it sucks. Anyone with a Y button and a frontal lobe can get out of it. A buff would be great - make all 3 states transition faster, like they did with Ike. So Yoshi can't ****ing escape from a perfectly spaced Jab combo just by jumping.

Inhale being safer / bigger grab box / with more reliable followups would be fantastic.

But a killthrow would actually be incredible. D3 can really struggle land a kill when they're >120%. All of our kill options there leave us unsafe, can be baited out, and are laggy enough to punish with fsmash.

Given past patch actions it's not going to happen butttt: if they buffed Gordo to reflect only above 6% (sourspot Nair %), a lot of otherwise spammy matchups would become much more interesting.

When you wish upon a star...

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I'd say it's unlikely as dedede has been consistently ignored across so many patches so far. That said i'd just want his throws to be more useful(like having dthrow more consistently combo into things and/or bthrow koing), for the damage it takes to reflect gordos to be slightly increased, and a faster jab2+a little reduced endlag on most of his aerials.(except for nair which is fine IMO)

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
I'd say it's unlikely as dedede has been consistently ignored across so many patches so far. \\
I think he may have a chance due to the fact characters got buffed out of the blue :4myfriends::4charizard::4link:so it's only a matter of time before sakurai buffs a king (:4dedede:this one not :4bowser:although that would be nice do)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I just want less endlag on Inhale. Kirby got that, why can't we?!
While we're at it, make it ignore shields.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Short answer: no :4dedede: buffs will happen; I think that's been pretty consistent across all patches so far. There's a 10% piece of me that still hopes, but that's just because I love dedeking.
I don't agree. As others have said, some characters have received buffs out of the blue despite mostly being ignored in the first few patches. While I don't think he'll be as big a priority as some of the blatantly high/low tier characters, I'm sure he'll be at least considered for something sooner or later. We also don't know how they're approaching balancing. They may be handling characters in small groups at a time + outliers.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
One conern I have is that they aren't balancing only around high skill levels. Dedede is excellent at low skill levels and gets worse as skill levels increase. Also I'm a bit concerned they are considering free for alls as well. Dedede is definitely better in FFAs and 2v2 than 1v1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom