• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you suddenly play much better if someone online taunts you?

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Must be the famous Taunt to Get Bodied combo in some cases, but I've found recently on FG I can sometimes come back from a huge setback if someone starts teabagging or triple-taunting me. To my surprise, I even took down a duo after my 2 v 2 partner disconnected.

I can't help but hit back either since I use Wario (butt-wigglez) and Robin (You're not ready).

Does anyone else experience a surge in skill when they are 'threatened' by taunts?

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It honestly varies.

Lot's of people try to Taunt to disrespect you, while others may do it either out of habit or because they literally bodied you. If someone ends up getting me in a good combo then finishes me off, I don't think I can get mad at a Taunt. I mean, they're allowed to do it after something like that whether they mean it as disrespect or something else. I just can't find myself to get mad in that case.

However, if someone triple taunts, taunts when it was something so simple or easy (or when I SD), teabags, whatever I tend to switch into overdrive mode. I always play seriously mind you, but when something like that happens I'm suddenly more determined to beat them. To me, some folks act so tough and cocky when they're really nothing to shrug at so I get that feeling of wanting to knock them down a peg. I'm typically really respectful too or at least attempt to be. I almost never Taunt unless they do it first, always return as Taunt at the start of the match, say "GG" if someone does it to... I honestly try to be a good sport when I can.

Sometimes though, so folks really tend to ask for it due to their arrogance.

Basically, it's a 50/50. If the player isn't really all that great I definitely tend to pay them back for it because it makes me play that much harder; however sometimes players can back up their talk and I get a little irritated and my judgement tends to get clouded.

At the same time, if they can back up their Taunts/cockiness I suppose it's nothing to get that mad over. They obviously got skill.

Doesn't really excuse the players who triple taunt and teabag players who are obviously of a lesser skill though, unless they ask for it I guess...?

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Sometimes I take out a taunter (don't really know what 'get bodied' means, someone explain?) but honestly I get more aggressive when taunted and that half the time works in the opponents favor....

a dog

Smash Cadet
I dunno, I'm pretty bad 24/7. Don't think taunts really change that fact very much lol.

But it does usually indicate that the other player is feeling themselves, which sometimes also means they're more willing to go for crazy risky things that I can punish. Hooray! =D

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Depends on the context. If one simply taunts after a kill, then it doesn't really affect me. But if they don't deserve said taunt? Like they get a kill at 100% on the second stock? I'd say it actually makes me play worse, for the reason that taunting like that usually makes me treat the match less seriously, as my aim shifts from simply winning to screwing around with the opponent. If I lose after that, then heck, karma has spoken, but I'm just here to have fun.

And if they try to do the "teabag"? Well, I just stop caring altogether - I'll finish the round and leave. I don't need to play against such caustic opponents.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Yesterday, I won a 1v1 Regular Tourney after the opponent taunted me when he took my first stock and he was still at a pretty low percent.

But, I didn't actually play better/worse because he taunted, though. I just figured out and caught on to his playstyle and bad habits, which would have happened either way regardless of him taunting.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Players taunting me doesn't affect how I play Smash. I usually beat taunters at their own game but it doesn't make me play better.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I've long given up improving my competitive Smash game, but that doesn't stop me from messing around with taunts and teabags LOL

The funniest times are when they start to do it back and then I win.

The games I usually play are really chilled and relaxed, so when I jump into competition, I just go all out.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I just had this happen to me last night. I was lost a stock very early from a Golden-Colored Roy while playing as Mario and he double taunted and tea-bagged. While I didn't managed to take his first stock immediately, I got the job done, but I was still at kill percent.

After some very close calls (perfect shields, DI) I managed to kill him and return the favor.

Next match I switch to Sonic while he plays Bayonetta. After I take his first stock and about to 2 stock him, the guy rage quits mid match.
The Taunt to Get Bodied + Rage Quit combo is such a beautiful thing. Lol.

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
I really don't care about people taunting, it doesn't change the game whether or not they press down on the D-pad (unless they do it right after I spawn in, hehe).

Top Bottom