• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you struggles with Luigi's poor aerial mobility?

TriTails

Smash Lord
Well, topic title. Do you struggles with poor aerial mobility Luigi has?

Me? I don't even know. For most part, I don't though.

So....... do you?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Against Villager and well-played Links, Luigi's slow air mobility really sucks for being camped. I wouldn't say I struggle with it, but he's definitely be improved if he could move more quickly like his brother.

busken

Smash Ace
His lackluster aerial speed is easily overlooked with his amazing combo potential .The only thing really detrimental about his aerials is the lack of range, allowing him to be easily spaced out.

buttmunch236

Smash Rookie
NNID
buttmunch236
Basically what the people above me said. He has a hard approaching people with many projectiles like Villager, Samus, Link, etc.
because of his slow aerial movement.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I got wrecked by a Villager who kept spamming gyros and slingshots...so yeah. Tornado helps a lot though along with the improved ground speed.

What does affect me more though is range issues.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
It's really something you have to get used to I guess. His mobility in the air has always been bad. Every character has their pros and cons

D

Deleted member

Luigi's poor air mobility isn't really a struggle and I don't find it to be a major hindrance; it is a part of his character, after all.
What I do struggle more with are Luigi's approach options since they are pretty limited and his range doesn't help.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I struggle with his frictionless shoes more than his air mobility. But such is Weegee

I Am Normal (IAN)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chalz25
3DS FC
2466-1591-2815
I don't play Luigi too much, but when I do I usually cover up his bad air speed with fireballs and aerials. Then I fish for a grab, and combo from there. So Luigi's poor air mobility doesn't really bother me.

The_World

Smash Cadet
I've never really had any problems with Luigi's range, other than missing Bair or two every now or then. When I'm up against characters that have better mobility/range, I try to make sure to keep a steady stream of fireballs going (not spamming, of course!) and take a more defensive stance until I can get in close.

Pando

Smash Rookie
NNID
PandoSJ
I struggle with his frictionless shoes more than his air mobility. But such is Weegee
Yep, there's little worse than shielding an attack with lots of endlag and then sliding out of punish range...

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Yep, there's little worse than shielding an attack with lots of endlag and then sliding out of punish range...
Even better when you shield a strong attack, and have to run towards them just to not fly off the stage anyway.

TriTails

Smash Lord
This makes me wonder why Luigi didn't change his shoes after all of that shoes-burning ghost-hunting. Seriously, if you have played Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, the amount of fire that comes out of literally Luigi's shoes makes me wonder why it didn't burnt afterwards.

Anyway, I'm just curious of what you guys think. I honestly fail to see on how aerial mobility is a matter other than approaching from above. Y'know, I know that other characters except Dedede outspeeds Luigi in the air, but it's not like he is going to jump out of the blue (Unless he is trying to develop a strategy, like tomahawking or SHFFL aerials) unless you make him too. I know this makes him struggle against the likes of Villager, but still....

Playing Luigi right from the start coupled with the fact that this is my first Smash game makes me fail to see on how good fast aerial speed is. Thanks for you all's opinions, anyway!

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
The bad aerial mobility means landing is tough, and so is pursuing. When you use a Fair or Uair on a lighter character, or one with good aerial mobility, they can often just DI out. It also means a worse recovery as your horizontal distance travelled while falling is substantially less. Try a character with decent aerial mobility, and see the difference in your defensive options solely resulting from that. Also makes approaching from the air really tough, which is something you want to do with plenty of characters.

Also, SHFFL doesn't exist in this game. No more LCanceling. Just SHFFAC (Auto Cancel) or SHFF now.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Whoops, dunno why I added L in that. I was thinking Short Hop Fast FaLl aerials. Lol, don't ask me how I get that.

Top Bottom