• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you sometimes feel as if some Smash fans take Smash speculation too seriously?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
After Midna being non-playable for the third time, I think I realized I can't take any serious discussions with reveals no more. If the character is "unique," "memorable," and is "appealing to the eye," then that's all I care for.
Same here, except replace Midna with Bomberman, Krystal, and Vaati.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Yes.

I still found it interesting that people were going around wishing each other luck before the direct. Then Isabelle was the only one announced and people went nuts. All the "Good luck with your characters! May your dreams come true from a proud supporter of *insert character.*" turned into "OMG BALLOT IS A LIE. DIE ISABELLE. WHY WOULD ANY WANT THIS WASTE OF A SLOT." type talk.

Then the box theory came along and made people really feel the crunch. I can support the box theory and see it's merits. But, I can also see 2-4 being on the back especially if they are major picks like Banjo or Geno. It can also not be true though! But most of the fans are insulting people entertaining the idea cause their favorites haven't made the cut yet and are obviously going to cause there's no reason their character wouldn't make it in. (tell that to the Waluigi, Lyn, Bomberman, Krystal. Takamaru, and Ashley fans)

Everyone figured Decidueye would be picked and the bandwagon took off. Then Ivysaur was confirmed and people got bitter. Decidueye's fan base dropped by over half suddenly, so it's more that people were upset they picked a character for wrong reasons in thinking the Grass Starter theory was the bullet proof theory. Now people are bitter and are putting down Pokemon and especially Incineroar as he rose to the top of the Pokemon picks. People are trying to take a rather flawed stance that Pokemon isn't hype material. Tell that to all those Pokemon Go videos of crowds of people running across streets. Ya, no hype series right there.

Sakurai said not to expect many newcomers and people still did. And now that theories are starting to match each other that the roster may be near the end of it's road... people are losing their minds and starting to drop the Political Campaign and turn more salty and rely on mud slinging.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I only really participate in them because I'm bored and optimistic though if it turns out that there are only like 2 left, I'd be more confused than upset (like why reveal 2/3rds of the newcomers early unless you plan to finish with all the menu features like Vault, Games and More, and Spirits).

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I only really participate in them because I'm bored and optimistic though if it turns out that there are only like 2 left, I'd be more confused than upset (like why reveal 2/3rds of the newcomers early unless you plan to finish with all the menu features like Vault, Games and More, and Spirits).
The thing is people like to spoil things before they get released. And Sakurai isn't a fan of it. So apparently, he's just release a good chunk of info this time (mainly fighters).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Absolutely. Remember the insanity and mental gymnastics about over-analyzing Ridley's shadow from the April 2014 Direct? People ran math calculations to prove he wasn't just a boss. The devs dropped hints over and over that he was a boss, and even when they flat out said he was boss, people were still in denial. Crazy stuff.
People look for clues where there are none or make up conspiracy theories. One that made me eyeroll was in the Meta Knight boards where someone saw that they redesigned MK's gloves so they made a topic wondering if that meant anything, moveset wise.
Another one was by taking a quote from Sakurai when discussing Mewtwo DLC "I guess I'll have to get back to work to bring him into the game" (just paraphrasing), and people were like "what did mean by that?". Jesus.

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Yes I think so. Also another thing I've noticed is that people pile on those who have an alternative viewpoint, whether it's justified or not. The fact that the main discussion thread moves so quickly means that if you make a faux pas for whatever reason, people will pile on you for pages even after either giving clarification or an outright apology, because a lot of posters are so far behind. It can hurt.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
only time I think it is taken 2 seriously is like on gamefaq when ppl start personal attacks there is no room for that crap here.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Yes.

I still found it interesting that people were going around wishing each other luck before the direct. Then Isabelle was the only one announced and people went nuts. All the "Good luck with your characters! May your dreams come true from a proud supporter of *insert character.*" turned into "OMG BALLOT IS A LIE. DIE ISABELLE. WHY WOULD ANY WANT THIS WASTE OF A SLOT." type talk.

Then the box theory came along and made people really feel the crunch. I can support the box theory and see it's merits. But, I can also see 2-4 being on the back especially if they are major picks like Banjo or Geno. It can also not be true though! But most of the fans are insulting people entertaining the idea cause their favorites haven't made the cut yet and are obviously going to cause there's no reason their character wouldn't make it in. (tell that to the Waluigi, Lyn, Bomberman, Krystal. Takamaru, and Ashley fans)

Everyone figured Decidueye would be picked and the bandwagon took off. Then Ivysaur was confirmed and people got bitter. Decidueye's fan base dropped by over half suddenly, so it's more that people were upset they picked a character for wrong reasons in thinking the Grass Starter theory was the bullet proof theory. Now people are bitter and are putting down Pokemon and especially Incineroar as he rose to the top of the Pokemon picks. People are trying to take a rather flawed stance that Pokemon isn't hype material. Tell that to all those Pokemon Go videos of crowds of people running across streets. Ya, no hype series right there.

Sakurai said not to expect many newcomers and people still did. And now that theories are starting to match each other that the roster may be near the end of it's road... people are losing their minds and starting to drop the Political Campaign and turn more salty and rely on mud slinging.
Yes I think so. Also another thing I've noticed is that people pile on those who have an alternative viewpoint, whether it's justified or not. The fact that the main discussion thread moves so quickly means that if you make a faux pas for whatever reason, people will pile on you for pages even after either giving clarification or an outright apology, because a lot of posters are so far behind. It can hurt.
only time I think it is taken 2 seriously is like on gamefaq when ppl start personal attacks there is no room for that crap here.
I can second on GameFAQs — some jackass named mew2ds is blocking anyone who says anything positive about Isabelle. Good f***ing grief! Get a life, asshole!

Last edited:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I felt like that when the Smash Ultimate box theory first appeared. It's just a few empty slots. It doesn't mean anything. IT CAN BE CHANGED ANYTIME. That's when I felt we're taking it a bit too far. I remember the exact same thing with Smash 4 and how there was an empty 'slot' next to Bayonetta. Everyone speculated that we would get Wolf....................... and nope we didn't. I have pointed this out but... Yeah. You can guess from here.
I mean if we purely speculating on a box for a special edition. Yeah, we might be pushing it.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I felt like that when the Smash Ultimate box theory first appeared. It's just a few empty slots. It doesn't mean anything. IT CAN BE CHANGED ANYTIME. That's when I felt we're taking it a bit too far. I remember the exact same thing with Smash 4 and how there was an empty 'slot' next to Bayonetta. Everyone speculated that we would get Wolf....................... and nope we didn't. I have pointed this out but... Yeah. You can guess from here.
The box theory is real, the puzzle fits to easily what we have to pray to the all mighty box ghost is to have character pic on the back of the box or have some characters missing.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Of course Smash speculation is terrible. There are multiple threads on GameFAQs (and yes I know that site is literally as bad as YT comments) comparing Corrin and Incineroar as the worst newcomer. Incineroar isn't even confirmed, it's not like he's a lock or anything, and yet here we are already treating him like he's in and that he's a frontrunner for worst addition. Besides we all know Bayonetta was the worst newcomer anyway, not Corrin.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
No. The speculation is part of the fun of the game. It's a sort of game-about-a-game.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Somewhat. Back in Smash 4, people assumed that servers going offline for maintenance meant that an update was to be released. Then, we had that one direct where people assumed Skull Kid's inclusion because of the colors of the chairs or something.

Smash speculation is fine when it comes to determining whether a leak is real or not, but jumping to conclusions based off the mere colors of things is going too far.

Top Bottom