• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you pummel Lv. 9 CPUs?

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
I just can't do it, since their AI are programmed to inhumanely mash out of EVERYTHING. When I grab a CPU a take no thoughts to pummel them and simply throw them. Has anyone else developed this habit?

Last edited:

J_Retribution

Smash Rookie
I stopped wasting my time with CPU lvl 9. I didn't benefit from learning how to beat them :( it just becomes robotic in a sense. So yeah, I've definitely had the same thing.

I much prefer playing vs. lvl 7 & 8 CPU!

DanielMota

Smash Rookie
NNID
DanielMota
I don't mean to brag, but I'm quite good against Lv. 9 CPU's. I always play against them with no items, flat stages, and 3 stocks. For many years I've fought against Lv. 7's, until I one day thought "Maybe it's time I test My strength against Lv. 9!".

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
Question. Everybody says level 7 or 8 CPUs are better to fight against if you can't fight against real people. Why 7 or 8 instead of 9? Do 7 and 8 feel more human as opposed to 9?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Lvl 9 cpu's do things that humans are literally incapable of doing whereas lvl 7 and 8 cpu's can't. Lvl 9 cpu's read your inputs and react with frame perfect power shielding, spot dodges, air dodges, and can perfectly tech all surfaces about 80% of the time allowing them to live to outrageous percents on certain stages which humans just can't do. While Lvl 7's and 8's aren't as "skilled" as lvl 9's, they aren't quite as ridiculous in terms of inhuman playstyles.

No, I just hold a direction as soon as they're grabbed. Even with triple digit damage, it takes them no time at all to break the grab.

Just another thing that makes them very tedious opponents.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
I temporarily moved to Albuquerque for a few months. And I haven't been able to play decent online matches since I don't have WiFi where I'm staying. So most of my practice has been against Lv. 9 CPUs and they are great training. The pummels do feel like a big problem, but I'm pretty sure that the more damage they have, if you instantly hit them after a grab, you can land two or three pummels. This is great practice since it makes you put in the pummels as fast as possible before going for the throw. Specially with Samus. I avoid throwing in hits at low percentages, but at high, I go for it. And at 50% I go for one or two pummels. Yeah, Lv. 9 CPUs sometimes go for perfect shields, perfect counters and some other details, but this is just great for practice. I gotta say, sometimes you'll even find a better match against a computer than a player in For Glory.

And yeah, I know. It's not the same or won't help me as much. But I got no internet, so this is all I can do. And so far, I'e been getting good.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I almost never pummel when I get a grab. Mostly out of habit since when I've tried, I get one pummel and the opponent excapes the grab right afterwards.

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
They are pretty easy if you've played Smash since the beginning. I can win a 5 stock match against a level 9 without ever dying. They are very susceptible to getting spiked.

chewchachoman

Smash Rookie
Level 9's have an obnoxious ability to doge and perfect shield every one of your attacks. Their weakness is that they always air doge when landing so you can punish thier landing lag. If you don't have internet for some reason amiibos make great opponents.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
They are pretty easy if you've played Smash since the beginning. I can win a 5 stock match against a level 9 without ever dying. They are very susceptible to getting spiked.
Level 9's have an obnoxious ability to doge and perfect shield every one of your attacks. Their weakness is that they always air doge when landing so you can punish thier landing lag. If you don't have internet for some reason amiibos make great opponents.
It's not about that though. The OP means by grabbing and hitting them before you try to throw them, which they pretty much can escape insanely quick even at over 100%.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
No point, they escape immediately if you try. Meanwhile if they grab you, you can wriggle till the cows come home but they'll still smack you upwards of 15 times...

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
Level 9's are a joke to me, I can beat any Level 9 in the game.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Ya they seem to get out of grabs fairly quickly, unless I'm playing as lucario (who still can't hold em.long) I don't even bother pummeling cpu's

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Lv. 9 CPUs are fun to play against. You don't really have to pummel them when you can just grab 'em and toss 'em.

Kidd Ryze

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiddRyze
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
I can easily beat Lvl. 9s in the 3DS Smash. I've been playing it for a while, so I learned how to predict most of their strategies.

But Wii U tho? Nah.

The AI on the Wii U is crazy. I find myself getting my ass handed to me even when I try to predict their moves. Like many people said, Lvl. 9 on the Wii U is programmed to be ball-bustingly hard, and I can clearly see that.

Pummeling them is out of the question. They block almost all the time on both versions. I just throw and use carefully timed smash attacks.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Beating them it's pretty damn easy, as they are often predictable and unorganic. Pummels tho? One at most, just throw the guys away.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
The amount of time you have before throwing depends on the opponents damage, right? With lvl 9's I don't pummel until they're around 80%. They break away after only 1 pummel, otherwise. I recommend doing 1 pummel before throwing only when they're at high percent.

Poopmaster

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-4588-8224
All of you losers saying how easy Lv 9 CPUs are and strutting out how good you think you are disgust me, it's not even thread related!

When they are about < 30%, CPUs will escape immediately if you go for a pummel.
At higher percents, you will be able to get more out, but from the top of my head, at about < 70% you can get 1 pummel until they escape the second. l don't know exact numbers, but the higher their percent, the harder it is for them to escape.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
I only pummel them when they're higher than 100 % once, sometimes twice just to not lose the habit. But I remember a time when I grabbed a CPU at like 160 % and it IMMEDIATLY mashed out of it, really annoying.

ThePikaWither

Smash Rookie
NNID
IAmAnUmbreon123
3DS FC
3668-9323-0098
I don't really pummel all that much (odd question), but I pretty much eat Level 9's for breakfast.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I don't bother.

Unfortunately, this habit tends to stick with me when I play actual players.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I don't mean to brag, but I'm quite good against Lv. 9 CPU's. I always play against them with no items, flat stages, and 3 stocks. For many years I've fought against Lv. 7's, until I one day thought "Maybe it's time I test My strength against Lv. 9!".
Lv.9 CPU's suck mate so the fact that you consider them good enough to brag about beating them shows that you have little skill. Any smasher worth his salt can own a Lv.9 CPU with ease and takes that for granted.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Let's be honest, almost everyone on smash boards has no problem with level 9 cpus. :/

I feel like I should say it again, it's not about that. This is more about pummeling cpus when they are grabbed and whether you even try to do it or not on them.

To get things back on track, I have been trying to do this more often. I try to get at least 1 in before I throw. They still get out in inhuman speed but 1 pummel is better than nothing at least.

Last edited:

DanielMota

Smash Rookie
NNID
DanielMota
Lv.9 CPU's suck mate so the fact that you consider them good enough to brag about beating them shows that you have little skill. Any smasher worth his salt can own a Lv.9 CPU with ease and takes that for granted.
That's okay, I have fun playing Smash Bros. and that's all that matters in the end!

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I can only pummel them when they are at high percents (100 or higher) otherwise they get out of it so fast, faster than some for glory players haha

2Fat

Smash Rookie
lvl 9 cpu's dodge my grab 90% of the time so it's hard to practice combos againt them so I usually just go lvl 8's. That being said it's hard to get good by just playing cpu's cause a person tries to learn your play style and attack based on it

Khao

Smash Lord
Throw 'em immediately. Nuff said.
No, don't do that, seriously.

The problem with that it that it becomes a terrible habit that is incredibly hard to shake off.

These days, I throw even human opponents in high percentages immediately without thinking about it, and then smack myself in the forehead for once again for forgetting to pummel. I have to actively think about pummeling if I don't want my thumb to automatically move the stick in a direction right after grabbing.

Last edited:

Captain Chrom

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alex
3DS FC
0361-6612-9078
I almost never pummel when I get a grab. Mostly out of habit since when I've tried, I get one pummel and the opponent excapes the grab right afterwards.
I know what you mean, it's quite annoying. Great siggy by the way.

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
No, don't do that, seriously.

The problem with that it that it becomes a terrible habit that is incredibly hard to shake off.

These days, I throw even human opponents in high percentages immediately without thinking about it, and then smack myself in the forehead for once again for forgetting to pummel. I have to actively think about pummeling if I don't want my thumb to automatically move the stick in a direction right after grabbing.
If it will be a habit, then sure. If you have no issues, well, throwing them straight away is fine.

But I respect your opinion. :)

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Lvl 9 cpu's do things that humans are literally incapable of doing whereas lvl 7 and 8 cpu's can't. Lvl 9 cpu's read your inputs and react with frame perfect power shielding, spot dodges, air dodges, and can perfectly tech all surfaces about 80% of the time allowing them to live to outrageous percents on certain stages which humans just can't do. While Lvl 7's and 8's aren't as "skilled" as lvl 9's, they aren't quite as ridiculous in terms of inhuman playstyles.
Nuh uh.
I have juggled bots 0-60%.
Their air dodges aren't made to predict or read your input, they do it like every other bot and its really easy to punish.
If they are punishing you it means you aren't spacing correctly, not that they are "inhuman"
Don't see why we are trying to justify playing the easier difficulty level if knowing how to correctly space is a prime fundamental of this game, and level 9 bots will only respond to misplaced moves

WaterDemonBaku

Smash Cadet
Well, I've had Sm4sh for only a day now, and I can say they're somewhat improved from the last few games IMO. But they're still nowhere near real smashers just yet. Just so you know in the time I've had Sm4sh (a day,) I've had 30 matches with CPU's, 27 of which I've won (including unlockable fighters,) yet I have at least 14 Online matches, all of which I've lost. (Well the last one the dude stopped moving. I beat him but I don't really count it as a win.)

If the CPU's just get too dumb for me, I'll probably get an amiibo or two to fight. (I don't always have internet sadly.)

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I play with LVL 9 cpu's and yes they're very hard to pummel and throw without them letting go (unless you have super speed mashing skills).

I always pummel before I throw my opponent as I get that 'extra' bit of damage in and every damage helps kill my opponent faster but doing this on like a LVL 9 cpu is somewhat not possible as on low percentages, you would only be able to pummel once and then throw (maybe 2 if you're quick enough) anything more and they just let go. I noticed if they're at 100%+ I've been able to pummel them 3 times before throwing them (though I was playing relatively fast pummel characters i.e Toon Link) but that's my experience so far when grabbing them.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I've been wondering this too. I usually don't pummel more than twice and sometimes I don't pummel at all. It generally depends on how good my character's throws are. If I'm playing Yoshi, for instance I'll go for the pummel(s) since I don't get much reward off of his throws anyway. If I'm playing Dr. Mario or Pikachu on the other hand, I'll usually skip the pummeling and go for the throw.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There is no point in trying, unless you are purposely attempting to wear off the buttons of your 3DS as quickly as possible.

Top Bottom