• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you prefer using the control stick to jump or the x/y button?

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section or if it's been recently asked.

Secondly, I want to know know if you guys prefer using the control stick to jump or just pressing the X/Y button twice. Since I've only recently picked up playing Melee again and I've been playing Sm4sh for a while longer I'm used to using the control stick to jump. What would you recommend that I use? I could probably adapt to using the X/Y button just for Melee if it's better.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Up jump is only good for doing an aerial literally frame perfect after a double jump, for every other purpose it's easy to say X/Y is better.

Last edited:

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
I rarely use Tap jump intentionally. I usually use the Y button, except for Wave dashing, for which I only use X. It Comes more naturally to me and is more reliable

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
I use Y button regardless.
I use X Button for wavedashing more as an impulse knowing that I'm going to wavedash. Like whenever I press X I immediately press L for a wavedash. Its kinda funny when it happens in Smash 4 tho since I press X and immediately try to wavedash even though that isn't an option

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
I use X Button for wavedashing more as an impulse knowing that I'm going to wavedash. Like whenever I press X I immediately press L for a wavedash. Its kinda funny when it happens in Smash 4 tho since I press X and immediately try to wavedash even though that isn't an option
Master hero soccer guy pls add wavedashing

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I use y for almost everything, but I use tap for:

-Cancelling shine with a double jump
-Shine/firebird ledge stalls
-Retreating Bairs with puff
-Jump cancel U-smashes

GBC

Smash Rookie
I use X to jump all the time because, at least for me, it's quicker to move from a neutral position to the right instead of moving up. I absolutely hate using tap to jump as it disrupts my flow of movement.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
I had always believed that using tap jump, a player would eventually get to the point where tap jumping would severely hold them back from improving. But I was just talking to one of the best players in Toledo (my closest local scene), and found out that he uses tap jump for pretty much everything except wavedashing, and he's a fox main too. I was pretty surprised, but I guess that's what he started using as a kid and just continued to develop his technique until he had the stick control to play that way. So it's definitely not impossible.

That being said, I do think that it is significantly easier to use Y or X for the majority of your jumps, while using tap jump in certain circumstances to make things easier or more consistent. For example, I use Y to jump normally, but I'll use tap jump in order to jump out of shine for Falco's shine b-air. Just figure out what feels most comfortable to you.

BuTR

Smash Rookie
I use Y for just about everything. I feel that it's easier to get to the C stick from Y as apposed to X due to it being a straight line rather than a slight arch. I actually used to use X, but I started to use Y after I started to main Falco due to it being slightly easier for me to do things like wavedash out of shines.

The only things I use tap jump for is to do things like shine dair/bair, as well as when I'm playing fox and do offstage shines.

Protanly

Smash Rookie
I originally used the main stick out of ignorance but broke my bad habits when I saw how useful the X and Y buttons were. Try shorthopping with a main stick. Try shorthopping with the X button. It's 10x easier with the button. That among other things got me to switch to buttons.

I used to have the bad habit and yes it took me forever to break it, but it's worth it in the end.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I've got to say, I've started using the X/Y button (mostly just X) more often now when I'm playing and it really does feel easier than using the control stick. I still instinctively want to tapjump but i'm sort of growing out of it.

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
I mostly use the Y button to jump but I use tap jump for certain situations. (Ledge stuff, Short-hop double lasers with fox, immediate aerials after jumping out of shine)

Just remember that every character can short hop from a grounded jump, but anytime you use your double jump it will be the same height, though there is a forwards-facing double jump as well as a backwards-facing one for each character to learn.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The first time I saw m2k doing shdl with fox using the X button (about 9 years ago at a NC tournament called H.E.R.B.), I was amazed. I don't even play spacies but practiced that until I could get it. You move your thumb so fast to the b button that it doesn't matter if you hit A on the way to B since you're in the beginning frames of jumpsquat. As a result, I can hit frame perfect aerials consistently using X and c-stick on characters that have a 5 frame jumpsquat, and occasionally with characters that have a 4-frame jumpsquat. It's weird how you can train yourself to be fast. Often times in melee, I feel like if you aren't fast enough to do something, if you truly learn how to focus on speed by temporarily ignoring the obvious need for accuracy/finesse, you'll get faster more quickly, and the accuracy will come back with repetition.

Edit: typos

Last edited:

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
I used to use tap jump but 6 months ago I quit and started using X/Y. IMO its better to use buttons for melee just because of wavedashing but its all up to preference, most top players use X/Y

Top Bottom