• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play Megaman aggresively or defensively?

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Anyone who can reflect me weapons back at me will cause me to shift to Defensive play or rely more on my physical attacks

Too many times have I had a returned Mega Buster'd one-stock me

Karonax

Zen Blue Warrior
NNID
Karonax
3DS FC
1633-4179-2591
I switch it up constantly when I play, you condition them to react to your offensive game then you switch to defense once they get predictable, wait for them to get predictable again, switch again lol.

They start power shielding projectiles a lot? Grabs. Spot dodging and rolls? Jab or Leaf Shield. Aerial approaches? Religious forward and back-aerials. Reflectors? Bait with a jab or Crash Bomb and transfer it back to them with a grab. Reluctant to approach? Metal Blade, if they eat it with a shield, grab. Get hit by it? Grab. Mega Man has an answer to almost every situation an opponent can put you in, the key is conditioning their responses and switching up your own to trump theirs.

Mega Man has all the tools to entirely control the pacing of a match. If your opponent is setting the flow of the match you're either camping too much or being too aggressive. It's really all about spacing, variety, and control. Mega Man fights like he's against a Robot Master, look for the enemy's attack patterns and start playing on them. :)

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I play defensively most of the time just spamming projectiles. If I find someone who is usually reflecting them or hitting me with their lasers (fox) then I move to being more up in their face style.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Playing aggressively works out for me most of the time, except when I fight Zamus, Yoshi and Olimar. Metal Blades are your friends, but if someone catches a blade and they know to keep it, they can really mess you up.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
I play both, They both workout. If im gonna fight a villager, i go up to there face and start short hoping Forward Air. some metal blades in the air and crashbombs for the ground. ( Go Rambo with the metal blades and crash bombs, when fighting villager) Don't forget about the Up air's, they help out a lot!

NawtKool

Smash Rookie
I switch it up alot against most characters. Some characters (usually those without a single projectile) are just easy to zone all day long. I tend to be aggressive whenever somebody rolls around and spams their projectiles, or maybe I'll approach that defensively as to bait them out of spamming. Really, I find it hard not to mix both approaches whenever I face someone decent (usually because I'm just trying to find what works).

Although overall, I'd say my normal approach would be aggressive.

Playing aggressively works out for me most of the time, except when I fight Zamus, Yoshi and Olimar. Metal Blades are your friends, but if someone catches a blade and they know to keep it, they can really mess you up.
Yeah, but then their attacks are then limited. Essentially, you lose one option, and they lose quite the handful. Of course, that situation always changes with characters, but it's never completely bad.

Last edited:

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Yeah, but then their attacks are then limited. Essentially, you lose one option, and they lose quite the handful. Of course, that situation always changes with characters, but it's never completely bad.
Thing is, the characters I mentioned have special moves that can work really well without resorting to having to throw the metal blade. Zamus and Yoshi especially can keep me out and kill because they have special moves that can kill while they use the other specials to keep me out. This is all just personal experience, but man does it suck to have your Metal Blade stolen because of a lucky dash attack item grab.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Usually I just play defensively with projectiles, but should my target go into the air, that's when I start getting aggressive with MM's close range options. Of course this can change depending on the character I'm fighting.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
My answer to the topic question: Yes.
Both work out very well. Depends on how the opponent is reacting.

Metal Blades are your friends, but if someone catches a blade and they know to keep it, they can really mess you up.
People have tried that with me (as in knowingly kept it from me). What I find works out really well is to just get in close and pepper them with pellets. Stay in their face and keep jumping around and shooting near point blank until they get rid of it. What else can they do to you at that range?

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
People have tried that with me (as in knowingly kept it from me). What I find works out really well is to just get in close and pepper them with pellets. Stay in their face and keep jumping around and shooting near point blank until they get rid of it. What else can they do to you at that range?
They give up on trying to hold on to the blade once they realize it's canceled out by a single buster shot. Megaman really dominates mid range, but getting a blade stolen from you at long ranges against a Samus, Yoshi, Link or Olimar really proves Megaman's range deficit.
...until they take a Leaf Shield to the face and all their minor projectiles get beaten.

2busywinning

Smash Rookie
I think it's hard to play aggressively as Mega Man sometimes. He just doesn't have enough "quick" attacks. You have to rely on f-air and b-air to actually catch them off guard. Don't get me wrong, Megs is my boy... but unfortunately I don't think "aggressive" is the word I'd use to describe him as a character. I'd say you have to be more methodical to play him well. lots of charge ups and reads are the way to play the Blue Bomber if you ask me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
what matchups make you play that way?
It sort of depends. I tend to trow out a lot of attacks against Bowser's and DK's and to a lesser extent, I do the same with Marth and Lucina users. But I try and take my time and pay attention for when to strike with Fox and Falco, since a poorly timed attack will likely get reflected at me.

But on average, I play more aggressively. It's more fun that way.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Overall I play very aggressively with Mega Man,he has a lot of high risk-high reward situations and setups he can work with and I personally find the reward to be worth it most of the time. I'll play a bit more defensively against characters who completely overwhelm Mega Man, such as Bowser, Diddy, Yoshi, or a good Rosalina and also against Villager. I feel Mega Man is too momentum based of a character to be used in a primarily defensive manner, and his problems and weaknesses only become more apparent under pressure.

Adapting based on what your opponent gives you is important however. If a player is reckless, fading in and out of their danger zone with hops and punishing them is a great option since it's usually free damage or even stocks. It really depends on what your opponent gives you, but if you get good momentum early on keeping the pressure up is something I've found to be very effective in most matchups.

Igettäjä

Smash Rookie
NNID
Igetin
Usually I just like to play a little aggressively on the ground, more aggressively in the air. On the ground I try to approach the opponent using Mega Buster and Sliding, also doing some short hopping and Flame Sword. I use the Crash Bomb in very random situations so that it usually will hit the opponent because in most situations they are not prepared for dodging it. In the air Slash Claw and Air Shooter work really well and both are also really good KO moves. And yeah it really depends on the behavior of your opponent which techniques to use in which situation. But I always scramble my techniques a little so I won't be doing anything too expected.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It depends on the matchup really though I usually go into defensive mode. Playing aggressively doesn't necessarily guarantee I'm gonna win.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
It depends heavily on who you're and what their tendencies are. You can't go in with one specific play style on some one who can counter it heavily. I happen to play Mega Man more aggressively since I only play with Friends local or off a lobby. I'm sure if thrown into FG, I'd have to focus more on defensive play because "lolnoplatforms".

Downthrow > Uair > Uair
or
S.hop Fair > S.hop Fair > S.hop Fair > Dilt > Bair
Work exceedingly well when attempting aggro Meg Man

Last edited:
Top Bottom