• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you plan on giving a fair shot to Smash 4?

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
Curious to see where your heads are at and what the current perceptions are regarding Smash 4. Are you looking forward to trying it out or will you just stick with 64, maybe both?

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. If I get the itch to play 64 I'll get on that, and honestly it doesn't really hurt my performance going from one Smash to another anyway; it even helps.

Sedda

Smash Champion
ill play for fun with my friends who have 3ds. i dont think ill take it seriously, unless it's REALLY amazing

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Smash 4 feels closest to 64 than any other smash game in my opinion, I'm surprised a lot of you guys don't like it. Like, you can play SSB4 Link like you do in 64 and will perform well.

So yeah I'm definitely going to be playing a lot of it, Mega Man seems really fun if you don't play him campy.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
maybe if santa brings me a the console, the game, and a tv

i might get too lazy to unbox it and hook it up so who knows

Sedda

Smash Champion
mixa you've been in a ***** mood recently. control yourself. first the pic and now this

Annex

Smash Ace
Not enough hitlag, but its fun to get stupid aggressive offstage for free with all the good recoveries. There's a few combos out there
I dunno if I want to get into it though

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i feel like i really wouldnt want to play on the 3ds it sounds like a hassle. if anyone i know gets it for the wii u i would definitely wanna try it out at least

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I have no intentions of buying a Wii U just for smash 4.

It would really have to wow me when I do finally play it. Not sure that's going to happen from the videos I've seen thus far. Those aerials look super laggy which leads me to believe it'll be a pretty defensive game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The title of this thread is a super loaded question.
What do you expect us to say, no?
Everybody believes they give something an adequate observance when they judge it. Such is the nature of judgement.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
The game replaced melee's dumb HOLD DI with some vector ****. If that vector stuff has an insignificant effect at lower comboing percentages, it leads me to believe it will ACTUALLY combo the most like ssb64.

But the laggy aerials makes it brawl 2.0 . Nobody has played a good defensive game yet and the same happened for brawl as well when it initially came out. So outlook for the game looks grim.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
i think the 3ds as a controller sucks

except for 1 thing:
The analog pad is such a brilliant design it should become a new standard for future joysticks on even on console controllers.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
played the demo

default mapping L as grab killed the entire experience

0/10
that annoyed me to until i just started grabbing with r+a

i'm not sure what people mean but laggy aerials

so far the aerials come out and end just as quick as 64

mario has a hella combos too, a lot like 64 with upairs

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yeah mario is hella good, d-tilt/u-tilt/u-air combos are basically 64 combos, pika has some u-air > n-air stuff too

the problem is not only that i shield with L in melee/PM, but that i have the reflex to L-cancel with L when playing not-64, so every time i land from an aerial i use a hookshot and that kind of ****s me over

Last edited:

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 feels closest to 64 than any other smash game in my opinion, I'm surprised a lot of you guys don't like it. Like, you can play SSB4 Link like you do in 64 and will perform well.

So yeah I'm definitely going to be playing a lot of it, Mega Man seems really fun if you don't play him campy.
This is how I'm feeling about it. I don't necessarily think campy playstyles will work as effectively as in Brawl because the mobility feels good and the characters all seem pretty useful so far, with some having "hard counters" to them. Couple that with good online and I think this game will have long legs.

To me, it feels like a good balance between all the Smash games with some fresh ****, like the new ledge grab.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
I've been liking the demo. Since I have a Wii U and a 3DS I'm gonna buy both versions.

You guys are welcome to come over and play! We can play 64 as well

Thor

Smash Champion
yeah mario is hella good, d-tilt/u-tilt/u-air combos are basically 64 combos, pika has some u-air > n-air stuff too

the problem is not only that i shield with L in melee/PM, but that i have the reflex to L-cancel with L when playing not-64, so every time i land from an aerial i use a hookshot and that kind of ****s me over
You can remap controls, at least in the real thing.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I already play every smash game, and jigglypuff actually looks good in smash 4, it's pretty safe to say i'll be adding it to my roster

Sedda

Smash Champion
has anybody played the japanese version? how's the duck hunt fella from a 64 perspective?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I gave the demo a fair shot, watched enough stream footage to have a feel for most characters' move properties and the game's overall mechanics, and honestly don't see how a serious 64 player could enjoy Smash 4 beyond a fun distraction.

Most characters in this game barely have any semi-guaranteed follow-ups, let alone combo strings at any damage percent, shields seem incredibly safe, vectoring makes it easy to reset any exchange to a neutral position, most characters live to absurdly high percents and recoveries are very strong unless you're playing Little Mac.

Unless something drastic happens (like a patch, Melee mode or some secret advanced technique), I'm pretty sure Smash 4 is going to turn into a poking/zoning-based game like Brawl. But hey, at least there's no tripping!

Last edited:

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
I gave the demo a fair shot, watched enough stream footage to have a feel for most characters' move properties and the game's overall mechanics, and honestly don't see how a serious 64 player could enjoy Smash 4 beyond a fun distraction.

Most characters in this game barely have any semi-guaranteed follow-ups, let alone combo strings at any damage percent, shields seem incredibly safe, vectoring makes it easy to reset any exchange to a neutral position, most characters live to absurdly high percents and recoveries are very strong unless you're playing Little Mac.

Unless something drastic happens (like a patch, Melee mode or some secret advanced technique), I'm pretty sure Smash 4 is going to turn into a poking/zoning-based game like Brawl. But hey, at least there's no tripping!
Play Halo.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
ill give it a fair shot if someone buys me a wii u and gamecube controller because playing it on 3ds is fail

Top Bottom