• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do You Jump with Stick or Buttons?

sweatyteddytaco

Smash Cadet
I just bought a wii, melee, watched bunch of videos, and bought 4 generic ass controllers. Now the controllers arenot that great so I can't even do a short hop which I guess I need to do to do some of the more advanced movements. Now should I start trying to jump with the face buttons or should I just buy a good controller? (If so can I buy a wii u smash controller, is it adaptable to wiis amd gamecube?)

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Most people use buttons, but i'm one of those weird people who uses stick.
But no matter what, you should still buy a good controller. I think you can get one of the official white ones on Amazon for like 30 dollars.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I'll never understand why people buy cheap generic controllers, same goes for knock off adapters (do you want to burn your house down?) You get exactly what you pay for, but it could be that you just aren't tapping fast enough also.

You'll have to use the buttons, the Analog stick, and the C-stick while you are in the air or inputting jump commands if you want to be efficient on a competitive level.

Buttons to SH/FH, Analog stick to Jump Cancel Up-B OoS/dash smash/JC grab, and the c-stick if you want to SHFFL Up Air or other aerial with better accuracy....i.e. using all three: X/Y to SH > down on Analog stick to FF > up on C-stick to Up Air (while simultaneously holding left/right on Analog to move horizontally still while Up Airing) > L-cancel right before land with Z/R/L

Last edited:

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
Could you show a picture of one of the controllers? Are they the 8 dollar ones on Ebay? because i got a few of those and they are pretty awful. I got them, played with them once, and then stopped playing with it. I use Y and I would have to slam the Y button to SH and Fh is out of the question

dDanger

Smash Rookie
I'll never understand why people buy cheap generic controllers
That makes us two. Third party material is always unreliable, it breaks more easily and is just overall not worth it. I recently got myself a smash edition controller to play melee on my wii too, and, though I had to pay a bit extra, I think it's going to be better in the long run.

ONLYUSEmeFEET

Smash Rookie
Buttons are easier to short hop with in my opinion so I tend to use them. If for some reason I'm playing with my Neo-Geo fight stick I'll use Tap Jump due to not having enough buttons, but usually with a Gamecube controller, button jumping is my preference.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
For me it depends a lot. Short hopping, X. Wavedashing, X>R. Multishining/other stuff out of shine, X. Charging at someone (jumping forward at full speed) as Captain Falcon, X>C-stick.

Everything else, analog stick.

I usually use X. To short hop, I flick the bottom edge of the button with my thumbnail. To full jump, I press it regularly. Sometimes, I will want to jump as soon as I land, so I hold R and the C stick upwards

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Another X guy here.

Been doing that with all my Smash games since Melee.
In Smash64 I used C-down to jump and maybe that's why I also use X. Never thought about that. (Edit: Holy crap I just realized that my Smash3ds controls mimic the way I played 64)

OP, it would be best to grab yourself a comfortable and working controller. Generally I will press X to jump into aerials. Certain techniques I may use the analog stick though. Air shine -> turnaround -> bair I will use the analog stick to turn around and jump. Air jump to up-air I'll use the analog stick for the air jump.

Last edited:

Kannon

Smash Rookie
personally, i use:GCX: whenever i can and:GCU: always seems to screw me over when i try to:GCU:air

Kannon

Smash Rookie
I just bought a wii, melee, watched bunch of videos, and bought 4 generic *** controllers. Now the controllers arenot that great so I can't even do a short hop which I guess I need to do to do some of the more advanced movements. Now should I start trying to jump with the face buttons or should I just buy a good controller? (If so can I buy a wii u smash controller, is it adaptable to wiis amd gamecube?)
If you want a reasonable 3rd party controller, look into the Mad Cats one. Ive had mine for 10 years (I bought 3 of them) and they all work perfectly fine for being smashed against the ground, thrown, and otherwise abused by gamers that would have broke standard 3rd party controllers.

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm using the stick to jump.

And I'm probably the only person who's using the C-stick for aerials, with every characters.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
I agree that the stick is good for jumping out of shine-spikes because you can recover with less button presses. However, wavedashing with the stick is unnecessarily complicated and difficult.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I used to use up to jump. I can actually wavedash by using up, and I use up to jump for Fox's SHDL. But you shouldn't use up to jump. Using up to jump makes you less mobile while doing aerials.

Top Bottom