• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you have any "rituals" when you play Smash?

Dr. Doctor

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkwingBuck
Any sort of quirks you notice yourself doing when you play Smash? A specific controller in a specific port? Only the blue and white color palettes? Always having salt nearby?

_gold_

Smash Master
1) A cup of joe.
2) While playing, the gamepad needs to be out of sight. The second screen distracts me.

CArniE

Smash Cadet
NNID
TokioCore
As stupid as it sounds, i have to have a hat on :x if my hair fall out of place and gets in my eyes/face it kills me.

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Music, but not from game. Else, I'm just ok. Also, I always lose on Omega dream land, and I can't play agianst Oot zelda skin.

Last edited:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
1) Dead black cat
2) 2 pints of goat blood
3) blanket
4) and a pop tart
(Ritual of Champions^)

Have my phone propped up near the screen so I can see texts at a quick glance and, while playing, think of a response. And green costumes.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I always need the default color palette. I'm not sure why, but it's essential to my playstyle that I pick the default color palette for every character I use.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Pink or Black character pallets. If they don't have it I pick red, but I won't main those characters. The only exception is Bathing Suit Samus, since who doesn't like that skin.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
If I play Smash 4 on any given day I make sure to have at least one game with :4shulk::4sonic::4mario:.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I throw my customized character's baseball bat upon each ticket completion in Crazy Orders. I don't know why; I just do it.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
1) Dead black cat
2) 2 pints of goat blood
3) blanket
4) and a pop tart
(Ritual of Champions^)
I sit in a chair and turn the game on. Sometimes, when I'm really feeling it, I lean forward.

Get on my level, scrub.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
If I win a battle online I have to use that character until I lose a match, at which point I'm forced to change into another one of my mains.
It's my warrior's honor's, I call it the Reigaritual or something like that.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
1) Drink water to quench thirst
2) Make sure I don't need to pee. If I do, I get up and pee into a toilet.
3) Plug headphones into gamepad, but turn gamepad screen away so that I cannot see flashing lights from it (assuming I'm not playing from it)
4) If I'm cold, I'll go get a blanket at this point
5) Make sure I sit in a position where the signal from the Pro controller to the Wii U is not obstructed
6) Check trophy shop before playing
7) When CSS goes up, I select Shulk right away, select my name (by habit I just press once down and hit A), and hit x 3 times to be on the Melia alt
8) As I wait for my first battle, I move my fingers around a lot to kind of warm up, I guess.

Last edited:

IntriguedGamer

Smash Cadet
1. I almost never go with an original skin.
2. As my main (Link) I will throw bombs up after a kill instead of a taunt. Still no real reason why I do it though.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Whenever I get a kill, I use a down-taunt, jab once, then run to one side of the screen. Not really sure why I do the jab, now that I think about it.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I like to play with a big glass of water, a big bowl of those Kirkland "Kettle" Sea Salt crisps and my Beats headphones plugged on the Wii U Gamepad.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
You can turn the GamePad display off while you're using another controller through the Home menu.
You're welcome. :)
I used to have the same issue.
Unfortunately if you primarily use a GameCube controller, this is not an option, as there is no Home button to do so. I guess this leads to my other ritual....

What I do is fire up my console with my Pro controller, and leave my Gamepad far enough from the console so that it is out of range. For me, it isn't so much about distractions (though the glowing blue Home button is overkill at times), but rather to save the hassle of constantly charging the Gamepad for a game that I never use it on (unless I accidentally go into Stage Builder or the manual.) Once my game is fired up, I place the Pro controller with my Gamepad, but I can never completely get the Pro controller out of range. Fortunately when it far enough away, it will time out sooner, so I can preserve its battery as well (though that isn't as much an issue.)

My ritual in the Brawl era was much simpler: Fire up the game with the Wiimote, then temporarily remove the Nyko rechargeable battery.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Realize I have to pee after I've just started a match.

Nem

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4264-9955-3401
I started getting super frustrated, leading to anger when I was playing online. To curb this, when I have a few defeats in a row, I just beat on the CPU. Makes me feel a lot better, and it's more productive than getting salty.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
I have this wierd obsessive-compulsive need where I need to be P1 or I won't play.

:lol:

I rarely pick my name on the first match
I pick stages based on the music.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If I'm ever up against a Ness on FG, taunt after every kill however many times is necessary to maximize :shaker:. From my experience, FG Ness players tend to do this anyway.
Yeah, that's about it.
EDIT: Oh, and I sometimes listen to commentaries and bad movies while I play. It helps cheer me up after a bad loss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom