• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you have a specific strategy?

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
When playing Link, do you just react to your opponent or do you have a strategy? I've been trying to make strategies. Like, is there a certain level of damage you go in for the kill?

J3f

Smash Cadet
Depends on the stage and match up. If I'm playing against Ike on Final Destination, I can wall him out with projectiles. Against Lucas, though I have to go in with neutral airs covered with boomerang and the like.

Down Throw to Down air kills around 100% for most characters, but it's not like playing Fox where you build up percent with lasers and then go in for the grab. Down Throw to Down Air is a good way to build up percent itself.

Simmonick

Smash Cadet
Yes I always try to have a game plan. You need to have at least some knowledge of the match up you're playing. So yeah, its something that evolves with time but as you play against certain characters you will develop strategies that help you win games. :)

ZLink

Smash Rookie
Depending on the matchup, jab jab up b is a great kill option around 80% and higher..particularly on fast fallers and spacies. Bomb/boomerang to fair followed with more projectiles, along with up tilts and up smash are great at wracking up quick damage depending on the matchup. If you're able to get them offstage, try spiking them with your down tilt when they try to grab the ledge.

Just keep working on strategies and practice! Soon it'll just become second nature to know when to use kill attacks for a guaranteed kill!

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
What you said is very vague. There are a lot of factors that go into how to play Link. Stages, Characters, Character weights, Match up knowledge in general, etc.

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
What you said is very vague. There are a lot of factors that go into how to play Link. Stages, Characters, Character weights, Match up knowledge in general, etc.
Well, not to sound skeptical, but I'm sure you have some generalized strategies. I'm sure you don't have a specific strategy for every board coupled with every character, that would be over a hundred strategies. I figured it would be more like "flat board or board with platforms" coupled with "am I fighting a floaty character, projectile, big hitter, etc."

Fortress

Smash Master
Use bombs, a lot. If a lot of bombs aren't doing it, use more bomb.

The Diddy tactic of 'leave a 'nanner out so that they pick it up and lose all of their options while they're holding it' applies to Link, too. Giving opponents exploding 'nanners that you can lock them into holding by pelting them with 'rang (or more bombs, preferably) is neat. Almost broke a dude's shield in bracket two days ago by zDropping a bomb nearby, and zDropping a bomb onto his shield, wavedashing onto the dropped bomb and instant glide tossing it as the other one bounced off his shield.

Generally, I stick to heavy bomb usage with zAir to poke. Lay one bomb out, pull another out, jump, fire off an arrow, glide toss the bomb, wavedash and instant toss the other bomb. Stuff like that. Basically putting too much **** on the field to deal with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom