• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you guys think Nintendo needs to focus more on America

R0Y

Smash Master
No, they already do. If you mean less on Japan, despite that market declining it's their home and still huge.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
No, they already do. If you mean less on Japan, despite that market declining it's their home and still huge.
I mean putting a bit more eggs into the American market, because the things Japanese gamers want are completely different than what we American gamers want

R0Y

Smash Master
I mean putting a bit more eggs into the American market, because the things Japanese gamers want are completely different than what we American gamers want
If you mean gritty FPS then no, they already did that with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and technically Geist although was bad. I guess because that market is so flooded they avoid that.

If you mean sports games like Sega Sports...you might be on to something, especially with the lack of EA support.

If you mean western RPG's like The Witcher, sure but who works on it? Retro Studios and Next Level Games?

If you mean partnerships with western third-parties ala Hyrule Warriors or Smash Bros, YEAH! (and way back Star Fox)

If you mean Metroid's, F-Zeroes, or a Western Zelda, (we're already getting Star Fox) YEAH!

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Investing in Western dev studios certainly makes sense. There is a global market for Japanese games due to their historical impact on the industry, but for a gaming platform to have significant worldwide appeal, it needs to appeal to other tastes. I don't really want Nintendo to simply make COD, GTA, or Skyrim clones, but it is possible to make Western-oriented games that do things differently. (think Metroid Prime)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Yeah... that... that would be very nice.

I'm not saying they need to go full on western in their development or anything, but I mean their games tend to sell more here than there... I think. I mean, Brawl sold give or take twice as many copies here than in Japan. I just wish that we weren't their "secondary" market if that makes sense.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If you mean gritty FPS then no, they already did that with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and technically Geist although was bad. I guess because that market is so flooded they avoid that.

If you mean sports games like Sega Sports...you might be on to something, especially with the lack of EA support.

If you mean western RPG's like The Witcher, sure but who works on it? Retro Studios and Next Level Games?

If you mean partnerships with western third-parties ala Hyrule Warriors or Smash Bros, YEAH! (and way back Star Fox)

If you mean Metroid's, F-Zeroes, or a Western Zelda, (we're already getting Star Fox) YEAH!
Also for Western RPG's, don't forget Fallout and TES, the two biggest series in the genre, and for sports games, yeah, they could resurrect the MLB Pennant Chase Baseball or NBA Courtside, IPs, if they really wanted to, because the MLB and NBA licenses are not exclusive, seriously the games sell more in the US than Japan, Baseball gamers buy PS3's and PS4's for The Show, there's no other alternative, Pennant Chase Baseball could give The Show a run for it's money

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just as long as we get good rewards through Club Nintendo.

Booster

Smash Lord
Yes, please, I'd love to see the next fatal frame game come here, but considering how long it has been announced without any mention of an American release, I lost hope and turned to playing some indie games on PS3

Top Bottom