• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you feel conditioned into racism after extended exposure to it?

Do you begin to detest a race because of the actions of some of the people you encounter?

• "They represent their race and I feel uncomfortable around this race now."

• "This is merely a minority of that race. It doesn't mean they're all like this."

• "I've never encountered this situation."

Results are only viewable after voting.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
I'll explain the title a bit further:

When you are constantly exposed to racism against your own race in real life or online (for example, getting called the N-word a lot for people of African descent or other slurs based on race), do you feel like you eventually start categorizing people in the offending race as racist in general? For example, in a short period of time (weeks, days, hours) you get called a slur by people who are all part of one race and you begin to detest that race rather than those people as individuals.

This is a question I'm really interested in hearing the answer to.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
The answer is yes. There have been studies on this. I can't quite remember what they were called but here is the short break down.
If you see a person generalizing a culture of other people and referring to them negatively you will form an opinion about that person. If you see multiple people of the same culture with this attitude you will generalize that culture based on your observations, negative observations in this case.
Even though there is good to be seen in the culture, the bad always out shines the good.
This generalization is called racism.

The people who feel negative to a culture, no matter their culture are in fact racist to the culture that they dislike.

TBH about myself. I disliked Arabian culture (not Americans who look like Arabs) for the longest time. I forced myself to learn about the good there.
Am I completely comfortable around Arabs? No
Do I have a reason? Yes
Do I make my feelings present/do I make an ass of myself? No, I keep it inside.

:EDIT:
Detest is an awfully strong word in this situation.

Last edited:

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
personally, no, but that's probably because i haven't been in a situation like that
unless you count the time i went to syria and had a bad experience with some muslims and later learned about some other things they've done to my family and friends. but i try to put that behind me. i just don't trust them as much but it's not like it affects me greatly

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Not really. I live in a suburban twin-city area with a vibrant and diverse group of people ethnically. I also live in Massachusetts, where we are a pretty liberal zone and much more accepting of diverse cultures, in favor of just considering the whole of our community a bunch of ***holes. Granted, there are still many prejudiced people here; they're everywhere, but we're still more tolerant at the very least and I for one am welcoming of people of any skin color, religious background or anything else.

And I'd prefer it that way to the alternative. The more I see people hate one another based on anything but their actual personality or behavior, the more sickened I get at it.

Last edited:

Corgi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corgi-of-Time
A strong example exists in our pasts; Adolf Hitler. Antisemitism existed in pre-WW1 Germany already, but not nearly to the extent of crusading for genocide. That power of collective exposure to racism coupled with a strong political figure enhanced the effect. I can say with certainty, my opinion rests that if Hitler had not rose to a position of political power, the Holocaust would never have happened. More specifically, if he had been accepted into art school, he would not have rose to a position of political power, and the Holocaust would never have happened. More specifically specifically, if Hitler exercised his rights to "git gud" in the art field, he would have been accepted into art school, and he would not have rose to a position of political power.

What am I getting at here?

Hitler's art was by most standards, perfectly good.

This, my friends, is an example of "give a mouse a cookie--".

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Just recognizing the trend of "hey, people with this skin color tend to hate my skin color" is technically racist, so yea kind of.

Plus, hatred begets hatred and all that.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No, I don't recall ever getting myself in situations as you described, other than "the look" we've gotten in the past.

I say that because I'm Mexican American and I live in a neighborhood where there are filled with Mexicans, or people from other Latin countries.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
The answer is yes. There have been studies on this. I can't quite remember what they were called but here is the short break down.
If you see a person generalizing a culture of other people and referring to them negatively you will form an opinion about that person. If you see multiple people of the same culture with this attitude you will generalize that culture based on your observations, negative observations in this case.
Even though there is good to be seen in the culture, the bad always out shines the good.
This generalization is called racism.

The people who feel negative to a culture, no matter their culture are in fact racist to the culture that they dislike.

TBH about myself. I disliked Arabian culture (not Americans who look like Arabs) for the longest time. I forced myself to learn about the good there.
Am I completely comfortable around Arabs? No
Do I have a reason? Yes
Do I make my feelings present/do I make an *** of myself? No, I keep it inside.

:EDIT:
Detest is an awfully strong word in this situation.
Yes I also detest Arabian culture as I have had bad experiences with Bathis and Arabs tending to be sympathizers for Dictatorships.

Especially to people such as Adolf Hitler or a man that has killed my people in the name of justice Saddam Hussein.

But I dont make an ass of myself and judge Arabs like that even if I feel uncomfortable or I feel a bit distasteful with their sight.

My brother on the other hand detests African culture because his experience with African natives was mostly them singing obnoxiously loudly in a bus trip to some place in Iraq. He is a Bernie Supporter and pretty left not supposed to have such thoughts for his political stance?

Well Racial bias will be a commoncy in most people only truly strong minded people will feel comfortable with everyone in the world and hold no biases.

Its deluding yourself with your bias that one race is inferior or superior when Racism comes into play.

I do find it amusing though that when I force myself to be pragmatic and neutral in political issues people especially that of Arabs tend to blurt out or confess their distaste for my people its pretty insane if you think about it. Imagine a white and black man being friends and the black man is super neutral on Politics and the White man starts talking about the good things the south stood for. I wonder do they forgot who I am or do they feel that comfortable that they can confess their racial bias

Last edited:

FoxE

Smash Cadet
Personally, for Mexicans yes and for anyone else = no.
I've been mistreated by mexicans constantly in California. And everyone constantly talks about how bad and terrible they are. So it does condition me to become racists against them and them only even though I've heard constant racial slurs for African Americans and Asian Americans. I live in a Mexican area and know how awfully ****ty the neighborhoods are compared to my friends'

Last edited:

The_World

Smash Cadet
I keep my issues with a person's behavior to that person in particular. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't believe that one's ethnic culture didn't have some impact on their behavior, especially if you go back a generation or two. I'm a third generation Latino (Puerto Rican and Honduran) who grew up in a primarily Black/Latino neighborhood, while also growing up around white people in a second house (family split), and going to school and making friends with White, Black, Latino and Asian people. You see a lot of similar stories, beliefs, mannerisms, ways of speaking, and behaviors among people of the same ethnic culture. This isn't to say that they all act the same way, but your bound to find some similarities between two people of the same culture on some level. Make what you want of it, but in some ways I find these differences to be a positive thing to be celebrated, as its nice to mingle with someone who knows a different world than you do.

Most of my friends who are Black and Latino can relate to me more easily than those who are White and Asian. One thing we can all agree on is that our families can be tremendously crazy at times.

Sorry if I went on a tangent; point is that once you understand someone's culture, its hard for to attribute another's faults to their entire race.

MrJohnSmiley

Smash Rookie
Statement number one, this is a subject for 4chan so id move that over there. Second thing, yes to anybody who believes in islam. Which is pretty much anybody who is muslim. reason being, Islam believes murder is a valid reason against people who are gay, don't believe in the religion, and many other things. Anybody for that is crazy. And no, nothing about islam is not radical. All of Islam is radical. Its a crazy religion that needs some amending.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Personally No, but the wide spread media and Real life stories I see and read on multiple different news sites tend to lean me towards being racist. This is particularly towards The Black audience with the Black Lives matter Supporters, They think they are all high and mighty and believe black people should be just as equal as whites- or even higher than whites for some cases, however alot of them miss the point of being Professional with it and Aren't respectful of people's opposite opinion's. Like for instance, if a white person Disagree's with Black Lives matter they are deemed highly racist right? well what if that person only said no because the image of Black Lives matter is very poor? Alot of them do not understand how to be professional yet prideful about their Movement and immediately lash out at anyone who are deemed "racist". Do I think Black people should have equal rights? Yes, I do. Do I agree with Black Lives matter? No, I do not.

Also this is a personal opinion, but I believe there are Black People and there are N****rs

Black people who are working members of society and are respected.

While there are N-r's who are lazy, smelly, Un-intelligent, Very hostile People who Care for no one.
(You can call me racist- hell I hate White Trash too, I just don't like people who are loud and dumb, if your Friendly and willing to listen, well you earn my respect)

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand what you're asking.

I'm not white but I was on /pol/ last year for a bit and it opened my eyes to a lot of inconvenient truths that the Left wants people to repeatedly ignore and gloss over. I think the mature thing is to accept and face the facts, but that won't and doesn't necessarily translate into becoming a racist.

Personally No, but the wide spread media and Real life stories I see and read on multiple different news sites tend to lean me towards being racist. This is particularly towards The Black audience with the Black Lives matter Supporters, They think they are all high and mighty and believe black people should be just as equal as whites- or even higher than whites for some cases, however alot of them miss the point of being Professional with it and Aren't respectful of people's opposite opinion's. Like for instance, if a white person Disagree's with Black Lives matter they are deemed highly racist right? well what if that person only said no because the image of Black Lives matter is very poor? Alot of them do not understand how to be professional yet prideful about their Movement and immediately lash out at anyone who are deemed "racist". Do I think Black people should have equal rights? Yes, I do. Do I agree with Black Lives matter? No, I do not.
I pretty much agree with you. They blow cases up like Ferguson where the victim was not completely innocent and distort the story to serve their own purpose, and fail to address how many blacks kill other blacks as opposed to police officers. The movement seems to want to forgo any rationality that's inconvenient to the message.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Bit of the first and second option, to be honest.

A lot of times it is the minorities of a group, but when you see different people [of a set stereotype] displaying parts of their stereotype, it really raises questions

Top Bottom