• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do we kill late?

KiwiAce

Smash Rookie
other than with forward smashes I find that I kill late. Usually I kill around 160-200. I rack up damage quickly but kill at those percentages with backair. I play ps2 normally.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I find it's very dependent on the character im fighting against and the stage that im fighting on. Most everyone with average or bad recovery can get gimped pretty hard on a small stage like green hill zone, warioware, or yoshis if you can get the in an early Fsmash next to the edge of the stage. Outside of that i usually dont find a ton of kills until post 120% if they have half decent survival DI. A lot of people i've ran into definitely get killed <80% with bad DI though.

So to answer your question I dont think its not normal. Roy can really get kills off at a wide array of percents depending on the combo and the situation. I find it harder to get bair kills on floatier char's at high percents though. When %'s get above like 100 i really look for those Dair scoop > Fsmash, xx>/xxx> DED kills, flareblade, or sometimes work in a Dsmash on floatier char's.

Last edited:

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
And don't forget that anything can combo into fsmash when fighting mid-to-fast fallers

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
roy shouldnt have any problems killing at most realistic percents. once your past the point where dair > bair works, dair > neutral b will work. you can also use DED xx>, dsmash, ftilt sweetspot, and utilt sweetspot. at very high percents. uthrow works as well. it really depends on the weight class, but past combo percents, roy has plenty of single hit moves that can kill. while youre in combo percents, his kill options are pretty deadly, and you shouldnt have trouble securing the kill at all with combos around 90-110%. if you can get something near the edge, a spike kill will get them as early as 60%, with only characters like DDD, rob, and M2 surviving later than that because of their great vertical recoveries. additionally, the dair tip is surprising good at gimpimg if you can land it, which is actually not hard to do. a ledge hop dair at the ledge can lead to many early kills, regardless of which part of it you hit with.

while really good survival DI obviously extends the percentage which you can kill at, roy has plenty of mix ups available to throw that off. the simplest one i can think of is simply mixing up which way you hit them when killing with bair. dtilt or dair > bair are staple combos that are very hard to read which side roy is going to bair you on. wrong DI in the middle of small-mid stages is going to get you killed pretty early. other DI mix ups involve DED. survival DI on xx> can be mixed up with xx^<, since you know that their DI will push them behind you. another, higher level mixup is alternating between fair > bair, and fair > dair. depending on the position, you can DI a dair spike towards the stage so you can tech it; however, if you bair instead, theyve just DIed terribly at the ledge. alternatively, you can also just hit a fair tipper instead of the dair for the same DI mix up (fair tipper has smaller angle, and better KB at higher percents than the sweetspot).

overall, i dont believe that roys one of those characters that has problems killing until after 120%. hes got tons of ways to gimp, and use mix ups to get earlier kills straight up. I would try really pushing him further to land the spike more often, as well as incorporate some of the bair mix ups i mentioned.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
What Flux said. If you're getting to the point where it's literally at 160% or higher, then try chasing them off stage a little more with your forward air, or if they have a more predictable recovery try to counter it. Just don't counter off stage.
-
Actually, now looking I noticed the actual subject of the thread. Uh, yeah we typically kill late. But a lot of it is very character dependent. Try seeing if you can dash dance into getting a pivot smash on them or even a running down smash. The running down smash works especially well because it's considerably faster than pivot forward smash, or reverse pivot smash because it's less predictable and just quicker.

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
I feel Roy kills come super late if the opponent DI's your attempts to put them offstage well as Roy has few options to seal the deal if he is offstage as well barring dair. (Reason I don't mention offstage bair as a "deal-sealer" is because I can never land it because I'm terrible)

Though to counteract that Roy picks up some easy stocks at 60-80% with sweet-spotted Fsmashes. That are completely dependent on you catching the opponent with a wide variety of movement options so they don't pick up on how you land the surprise KO.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
idk roys got some good DI mix ups. better than a lot of characters. and he has some really solid edge guard options. especially with tether characters. theres a lot of characters out there that are far more notable for killing late. in comparison, i feel that roy kills very consistently around 110, even with good DI, and sometimes killing as low as 60-80 with spikes or fsmashes at the ledge. he also has very reliable killing options past 120. if youre having a problem killing before 120, i would definitely say youre not optimizing the character enough, as i dont believe that is typical of higher level roys.

NUO

Smash Rookie
Roy has great kill potential at about 80-100%, but you mostly have to combo into kill options (bair, sweetspot f-smash) unless you wanna kill at later percents with a non-sweetspot f-smash or an up-smash. You can always kill with your spike at upwards of 60% tho

Top Bottom