• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Traditional Fighters Help Smash?

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Hi, i'm still pretty new at (competitive) smash and i came from a traditional fighting game background- Is it possible that playing traditional fighters could help your smash game? I dropped street fighter when the ultra version came out, and played marvel just for fun.

Thanks guys, any comments or criticism are welcome here.

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Maybe. If you're coming to Smash from a fighting game background you should be able to tell yourself. They aren't going to help you more than just keeping on playing Smash though, that's for sure

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Sure.
Some concepts and mindset carry over.
Different game tho ayeeeeeee

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. If you're coming to Smash from a fighting game background you should be able to tell yourself. They aren't going to help you more than just keeping on playing Smash though, that's for sure
Ah, i was thinking, maybe if i went back to traditional fightans i'd have some crazy super awesome skills for playing both games!

Kind of like when a trumpet player takes up swimming- They both help hold their breath for sustained periods of time, you know? Problem is, i'm not sure what kind of correlation traditional fightans have with smash and vice versa..

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Sure.
Concepts and mindset carry over.
Different game tho ayeeeeeee

Totally different game. It's so hard to explain. I was never crazy hot **** at SF, but i was half decent and for most part could hold my own.

However, even though smash is really hard at this stage, it hasn't dropped any fun factor at all!

woodsta

Smash Apprentice
Just off the top of my head

Similarities: concept of bait and punish, zoning and poking with safe normals, knockdown mixups are kind of comparable to techchasing

Differences: win condition is not as simple in smash, gimps and SDs are a thing, movement is way more of a focal point in smash as it is significantly more complex with ledges and platforms and just general speed and number of options, character physics vary a lot more, combos are multiplayer with DI SDI etc. instead of "hope they **** up"

I'd say the most transferable skill is probably being able to read people

DD_

Smash Journeyman
I played SF4 and marvel for a few years before making the switch to smash. Literally the only things that really transferred were yomi and spacing. And even then I was overwhelmed with the new amount of mind games required. Playing smash then picking up traditional fighters is easier than the other way around but that's just my opinion. I stopped playing Traditional fighters as it just messed my my smash skills too much and i'd find my MM getting confused regularly.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I played SF4 and marvel for a few years before making the switch to smash. Literally the only things that really transferred were yomi and spacing. And even then I was overwhelmed with the new amount of mind games required. Playing smash then picking up traditional fighters is easier than the other way around but that's just my opinion. I stopped playing Traditional fighters as it just messed my my smash skills too much and i'd find my MM getting confused regularly.
what's mm??

Yeah i agree. I practiced with an agressive fox last year around august, and he had to learn how to get around my F-tilts with Roy (PM)

Yomi...probably transfers over too, yeah. I will say though, it's awkward at first trying to read someone in smash as opposed to SF4 series.

Last edited:

DD_

Smash Journeyman
what's mm??
Muscle Memory. At monthlies and Majors switching between stick and cube controller for tournament matches on the fly makes life super hard. That and considering smash and traditional fighters run on their own timeframes at monthlies and majors makes players entering cross events lives hard at times.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Directional Influence would be the main thing that you would need to learn from scratch involving smash since it's purely a mechanic for smash games. Are SF4 and some MVC3 the only fighters you played? Who did you play in SF4? If you want I can recommend a similar character to try out in Melee or PM

Going from SF4 to Melee and has some problems since SF4 in general rewards defensive plays more then offensive much like Brawl does, whereas in Melee/PM it depends on your character choice. There are no buffers, option selects or input techniques used to make inputs easier in Melee (there is a buffer in PM) either which will take a bit of getting used to.

Mindset wise not much needs to be changed, you can still read habits that people have obviously as Phrase said knockdown pressure is basically replaced by tech chasing. Unfortunately I believe that transferring from traditional fighters to smash is harder then vice versa since it's easier to adjust to having less movement options then more imo so it might take a while but don't give up, Melee is a great game that is well worth learning :)

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Dont worry too much about Mahvel, it was very casual play, not any of that ridiculous **** on actual tourneys!

SF4 series took me a while to find my main, but i ended up maining Dan and not doing too badly! I participated in "The New Challengers" tourney at BAM last year under the name Stacey (as a joke!) and Playing a very safe Yun (because all i knew from him was like, that palm Target Combo , and he had pretty good pokes) And Dan when my Yun failed pretty much outright. I managed to Tie for 8th place.

But yeah, I mained Dan.

At the moment, I'm generally Maining Roy and Snake for PM,

For melee it's still largely undecided but i had a small list of chars who look fun and interesting

in no particular Order

1.Captain Falcon (just cuz principle, everyone loves falcon)
2.Luigi
3. Mewtwo
4. Ice Climbers
5. Pikachu

But i am open to suggestions also!

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Yeah can't help you with Dan unless you want to play another joke character (Pichu) :p

I'd say for now stick to higher tier characters since the tier list works very differently from SF4, the general matchups for lower tiers are way more dire then in SF4.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Yeah can't help you with Dan unless you want to play another joke character (Pichu) :p

I'd say for now stick to higher tier characters since the tier list works very differently from SF4, the general matchups for lower tiers are way more dire then in SF4.
To be honest...pichu HAS crossed my mind :p (i had a lvl 100 pichu in pokemon once, and it was still **** but i loved it)
I also dabbled with Yang and Sakura, but was never as good as my Dan play, if that information helps you

Last edited:
Top Bottom