• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.1.6) [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me submitted a new guide:

''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS - A guide of my personal favorite character in the entire Smash series

View attachment 60992

Hi everyone,

So you've been playing the game for a long time? Trying to play it competitively? Which character did you choose to main? Well, if you are in this guide, that means you picked the Mr. Video Game himself, Mario (who is my favorite character in the entire game and by extension the entire Smash series). In this long guide, I will try to cover my personal knowledge about the character, and any type of reviews or critics would be very appreciated (since it...
Read more about this guide...

Kulty

Smash Ace
If there's anything wrong regarding my knowledge on Mario, don't hesitate to reply on the comments below. Also, you may suggest what I should add on my guide if there's anything missing!

Last edited:

Anter

Smash Rookie
I love the guide so far. I have some tech to share too, hope it helps:

-utilt can hit people hanging on the ledge after their invincibility is gone. This can be initiated with ledge trumps too.

-dthrow to super jump punch is a bnb combo that I don't see people use often enough. It combos many characters into the high percents and is Mario's most guaranteed option after dthrow. I think it gets the most use from 65% onwards.

-not AS useful as dthrow to up b, but dtilt gets a similar combo, dtilt to up b. It has the same damage output potential as the previous combo.

-it's tough to time but if you buffer your dash and are quick to rar, dtilt to bair is a true combo at mid to high percents. It's best used as a mix up imo.

-I'm still experimenting with the applications on this one but up air auto-cancelled into the ground chains into grab at low to mid percent.

-I'm not sure if this is even worth mentioning but wall jumps allow Mario to go pretty far out with aerials(fair I think benefits most) on some stages.

-I don't know if it's ever a true combo but landing dairs can often chain into an fsmash at high percent. I land it often enough but it might not be useful in high level play but could certainly be a good mix up against people trying to spot dodge a grab.

Some combo strings that are possible:

-at low percent, uthrow>dair>fair, up to 31%

-low to low-mid percent, uthrow>dair>up b, up to 25%.

I'd be curious to see a section describing what moves the cape can reflect or not. Keep up the good work.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Thank you so much! Really appreciate it! Will give you credit for that! Sure, I can do a bonus section regarding the Cape once I finished the main guide. I mentionned some of them, but I can go check them if you want.

Last edited:

Anter

Smash Rookie
I've found a kill confirm with Mario that I think will be important to the meta soon:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4NiFzl5HM

You have to attack with the first couple of hits of a reversed dair while moving towards your opponent.

Also, let me know if you ever want to talk about jab lock set ups, I've been trying to find some good ones and think I have a couple that could be useful.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I've found a kill confirm with Mario that I think will be important to the meta soon:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4NiFzl5HM

You have to attack with the first couple of hits of a reversed dair while moving towards your opponent.

Also, let me know if you ever want to talk about jab lock set ups, I've been trying to find some good ones and think I have a couple that could be useful.
I only found jab lock setups with Nair being the most effective one! Sure, you can talk about it, and I'll add it in my guide! Thanks a lot for the info and the video!

Kulty

Smash Ace
These aren't fully combat tested yet but here's what I've been working on:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DFwbJDHL3p4
Thank you so much for your contribution! I really appreciate it again! After the main guide, I plan to develop sections suggested from you guys that I can add in my guide. For example, a section to where I can talk about good characters that you can pick to counter Mario's weaknesses. Any topic that can be worth discussed for my Mario guide itself, I will add them to the guide later on. Also, do you suggest that I talk about the 3DS stages that are good for Mario or only the Wii U version?

Last edited:

Anter

Smash Rookie
As far as stages go, it makes more sense to focus on the Wii U version, although you could briefly touch on the handheld. I think that anyone serious enough to read through a long guide like thhis one is probably serious enough about smash to own the better version.

Also, forward throw at low percents can lead to jab locks too if you dash once after throwing.

Kulty

Smash Ace
As far as stages go, it makes more sense to focus on the Wii U version, although you could briefly touch on the handheld. I think that anyone serious enough to read through a long guide like thhis one is probably serious enough about smash to own the better version.

Also, forward throw at low percents can lead to jab locks too if you dash once after throwing.
Okay! Won't go much into detail about 3DS, since many people will go to the Wii U version! Is the list of tournament legal stages on the 3DS good or did I miss some?

Anter

Smash Rookie
I have no idea what's legal on 3ds. Do they still have tournaments for it? Also, one thing to keep in mind: I've seen 3ds users show up to Wii U tournaments before, they just use their 3ds as a controller since that's what they're used to/what they have.

Edit: So it's even beneficial to serious 3ds players to be familiar with Wii U stages. There's not much point for the Wii U players to learn 3ds stages though.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I have no idea what's legal on 3ds. Do they still have tournaments for it? Also, one thing to keep in mind: I've seen 3ds users show up to Wii U tournaments before, they just use their 3ds as a controller since that's what they're used to/what they have.

Edit: So it's even beneficial to serious 3ds players to be familiar with Wii U stages. There's not much point for the Wii U players to learn 3ds stages though.
That's what I thought as well. Do you want to suggest a topic that you want that I include in this guide?

Kulty

Smash Ace
Not any off hand but if I do, I'll let you know.
My guide is finally complete! Ladies and gentleman! Enjoy the guide and as always, let me know if I made mistakes somewhere or want to suggest a topic that I can add in my guide.

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me updated ''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.0.0) with a new update entry:

Ver. 1.0.1 : adding a little game patch update

Hi guys,

This is LeeSmash4Me with a quick guide update. Basically, according to SmashWiki, in the patch ver. 1.0.6, it appears that Mario did receive a minor buff in terms of his forward Smash. Basically, a part of his Forward Smash made it irreversible. I don't know what it exactly means, but let me know in the discussion section if this buff is actually proven to be true. I'll still put it, but let me know! Anyway, comment and rate on how you think of the guide and stay tuned for more...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me can you give me a detailed matchup description on Shiek and Luigi
Sure! First off, let's give a run-down between the two. Both of them are considered to be top-tiers as you know, but the thing is that both have amazing strenghts. They both have amazing combo game, great punish game, great grabs setups, good recovery, good edgeguarders and good projectiles :
What does:4luigi:have over Sheik :
  • A guaranteed down-throw setup to where Sheik is slightly harder (has f-throw to Bouncing Fish but still)
  • More recovery off-stage options if used properly (otherwise Sheik wins)
  • Better damage output than Sheik on many of his moves
  • Better KO power and KO options than Sheik (the latter being one of the most difficult characters to rack up KOs)
What does:4sheik:have over Luigi :
  • Better long-extended combos
  • Better overall recovery
  • Better frame data
  • Better dashing speed and aerial speed (Luigi's aerial speed being one of the worst in the game)
  • Better projectiles (needles obviously better than Fireballs)
  • Better custom moves that Sheik does benefit from compared to Luigi (imo btw)
  • Better attack range on most of his moves (Luigi being very poor)
With this, I can think that Sheik slightly does have the upper-hand in this matchup, because Sheik can stop approaches due to needles being fast and long-range projectiles. Since Luigi is vulnerable to zoning characters, he will have a hard time approaching. Both characters do seek for a lot of grab setups, so Luigi needs to be really close to Sheik in order to get the grab. When off-stage, due to Sheik needles and Luigi's predictable recovery options, Sheik will fairly have a easy time edgeguarding Luigi because of this. Overall, Luigi has quite some trouble in my opinion against Sheik. I think :rosalina:may be the better character against Sheik or someone like :4lucario: if I would recommend one. Hope this helps! You can go to the Luigi and Sheik boards if you want to know more about this matchup! I would say 60:4sheik:- 40:4luigi:, but it's still duable for Luigi since he benefits from rage a lot more than Sheik. So he still has some tricks that Sheik does not have any answer to it.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me updated ''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.0.1) with a new update entry:

Some clean-up and better organization

Hey guys,

Do you find this guide a little bit too long? I just learned how to put the ''toggle spoiler'' thingy (getting started on how to use this guide properly)! Well, I'll just put it to be less longer on the guide page so that you can enjoy each section one by one. Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience again and as always, enjoy the guide!

LeeSmash4Me,
Author of the Mario guide

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I just thought about two topics that can be interesting that I can develop about on my ''Extra'' section of my Mario guide :
1) How's Mario in Doubles and what are his best characters to team up with?
2) Good secondaries to pick up to counter Mario's weaknesses?
If you approve these two topics, let me know! I don't mind working on them. It will be my pleasure!

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
So I wanted to ask what kinds of combos I can pull off with Mario and what matchups does he have an edge over and some that are tough to handle. Working on getting better with him. :)

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
So I wanted to ask what kinds of combos I can pull off with Mario and what matchups does he have an edge over and some that are tough to handle. Working on getting better with him. :)
No problem man! I'll help you for that :

For combos, I did a combo section to see what setups you can do! Mostly use down-throw as combo starters (but I don't recommend at 0%, start using it at around 20-30% depending on opponent's weight and falling speed). Your most known BnB combo is down-throw to up airs or to Up-B. For juggles, down-throw to multiple utilts. To mixup, utilize down-tilts (not too much) and Nairs. For kill setup, down-throw to up-air to fair if you want to risk! Something like that! Be creative with Mario.

As for matchups, characters that I think Mario has an edge over :
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4gaw::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4megaman::4mewtwo::4palutena::4robinm::4samus::4tlink::4wiifit:.
As Mario, the characters you will struggle the most are (what most Mario mains will tell you) :
:4sheik:(of course, but Mario is one of the best characters to take on against Sheik),:rosalina:(still duable),:4luigi:,:4zss:,:4ness:,:4sonic:,:4darkpit:,:4diddy:(not sure after his nerfs),:4fox:,:4link:,:4lucas:(not sure),:4lucina:,:4marth:,:4pit:,:4feroy:and:4shulk:(still duable even with disjointed hitboxes).
Again, I'm not sure for these characters I've mentioned, because we still don't know the potential what these characters can actually do to counter. Those who I did not mention are those that I'm really not sure about or because I think that going against these characters not mentionned are even matchup for Mario(50-50). Hope this helps get a general idea!

Last edited:

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
No problem man! I'll help you for that :

For combos, I did a combo section to see what setups you can do! Mostly use down-throw as combo starters (but I don't recommend at 0%, start using it at around 20-30% depending on opponent's weight and falling speed). Your most known BnB combo is down-throw to up airs or to Up-B. For juggles, down-throw to multiple utilts. To mixup, utilize down-tilts (not too much) and Nairs. For kill setup, down-throw to up-air to fair if you want to risk! Something like that! Be creative with Mario.

As for matchups, characters that I think Mario has an edge over :
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4gaw::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4megaman::4mewtwo::4palutena::4robinm::4samus::4tlink::4wiifit:.
As Mario, the characters you will struggle the most are (what most Mario mains will tell you) :
:4sheik:(of course, but Mario is one of the best characters to take on against Sheik),:rosalina:(still duable),:4luigi:,:4zss:,:4ness:,:4sonic:,:4darkpit:,:4diddy:(not sure after his nerfs),:4fox:,:4link:,:4lucas:(not sure),:4lucina:,:4marth:,:4pit:,:4feroy:and:4shulk:(still duable even with disjointed hitboxes).
Again, I'm not sure for these characters I've mentioned, because we still don't know the potential what these characters can actually do to counter. Those who I did not mention are those that I'm really not sure about or because I think that going against these characters not mentionned are even matchup for Mario(50-50). Hope this helps get a general idea!
Thanks Man! truly appreciate the effort to help me improve my Mario. Hopefully with all the practice I'm doing will help me greatly!

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I've been looking around the custom section, and there's 2 things I think you might want to add:
- Gust Cape's weaknesses. The fact that it has a windbox also means you can't turn around opponents and punish them for their forced whiff, like you can for the normal cape.
- I think the reason Scalding FLUDD is so popular is because it's practically an attack that's longer than sword range, when Mario is a character that lacks range.
Hi guys,

I just thought about two topics that can be interesting that I can develop about on my ''Extra'' section of my Mario guide :
1) How's Mario in Doubles and what are his best characters to team up with?
2) Good secondaries to pick up to counter Mario's weaknesses?
If you approve these two topics, let me know! I don't mind working on them. It will be my pleasure!
I don't see why not :)

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I've been looking around the custom section, and there's 2 things I think you might want to add:
- Gust Cape's weaknesses. The fact that it has a windbox also means you can't turn around opponents and punish them for their forced whiff, like you can for the normal cape.
- I think the reason Scalding FLUDD is so popular is because it's practically an attack that's longer than sword range, when Mario is a character that lacks range.

I don't see why not :)
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it! Will go add them and I'll credit you for that! OK, then I'll start developping these sections when I have the time. I'm doing a Roy guide right now so yeah! Thanks again man!

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me updated ''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.0.1) with a new update entry:

New sections added in ''Extra'' ver. 1.0.2

Hi guys,

Another quick update! Basically I want to introduce new topics that I was thinking about lately to add on my Mario guide. I want to add these two topics :
1) How's Mario in Doubles and best characters to cooperate with the plumber?
2) Best characters (or secondaries) to pick up to counter Mario's weaknesses
I will discuss about what I personally know about these two topics. I will try to add to some new pictures to make the guide having a better form of presentation. So yeah, expect...

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Can you also help me out with my Custom Mario set?

(Fire Mario alt.)

Moves:

Fire Orb

Shocking Cape

Explosion Punch

Scalding Fludd

Kulty

Smash Ace
Can you also help me out with my Custom Mario set?

(Fire Mario alt.)

Moves:

Fire Orb

Shocking Cape

Explosion Punch

Scalding Fludd
No problem, man! What do you want to know about your custom set? What type of playstyle do you want for Mario? Do you want faster but less damage moves, the balanced or the opposite for each special move? What most Mario will tell you to pick up mostly is this combination : 2312 (Fast Fireball, Gust Cape, Regular Up-B, Scalding Fludd).

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to know is this the best set for competitive play or do i need to switch something around. I'm looking for a play-style that centers around dishing out moves that could possibly string into combos and allow me to trip up my opponent.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I wanted to know is this the best set for competitive play or do i need to switch something around. I'm looking for a play-style that centers around dishing out moves that could possibly string into combos and allow me to trip up my opponent.
Well, in that case, the best set for competitive play is, like I said and imo, 2312 (Fast Fireball, Gust Cape, Super Jump Punch, Scalding FLUDD). If it strings into combos and trip your opponent, well, I would say :
1) Fireballs or Fast Fireballs (your personal choice)
2) Shocking Cape (if you want to give Mario another KO option) or Gust Cape (catches your opponent off guard, which can then lead you to a punish game because of the windbox. However, you can't punish from afar if you hit the Cape and the windbox together)
3) Super Jump Punch or Explosive Punch (be aware of your recovery)
4) Scalding FLUDD (multi hit that can lead into followup mixups, but not as reliable)

That's the best I can say to be honest. Try mixing up with your combinations and see what prefers you best between them. Hope this helps again! I don't play around with customs that much from my experience, but will get to them pretty soon.

Last edited:

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
It's alright if you don't play with customs often. Y'see a friend of mine wanted me to join their Tourney, but it was customs only. (of course i didn't have many to begin with) So since i've been practicing with my mains (and mario is one of them) I wanted to know what kinds of things i could do with messing around with different custom sets. I finally settled on 2312. Gust Cape/Scalding Fludd really helps with edge guarding. :)

Kulty

Smash Ace
It's alright if you don't play with customs often. Y'see a friend of mine wanted me to join their Tourney, but it was customs only. (of course i didn't have many to begin with) So since i've been practicing with my mains (and mario is one of them) I wanted to know what kinds of things i could do with messing around with different custom sets. I finally settled on 2312. Gust Cape/Scalding Fludd really helps with edge guarding. :)
I heard that Tournament mode online was really bad! But I guess with friends is not really a big of a deal. Anyway, if you want to know what you can do with customs moves. Well, to summarize :
Fast Fireball : good pressure tool from a distance, can interrupt zoning characters or characters doing something from afar.
Fire Orb : not really useful in my opinion. Don't use it!
Shocking Cape : additional KO tool for Mario and good for horizontal recovery if you have enough aerial momentum.
Gust Cape : additional recovery tool and better for edgeguarding, but more difficult or impossible to punish opponents.
Super Jump : better recovery, but you lose a great OOS and more vulnerable to edgeguards because of no hitboxes.
Explosive Punch : great KO setup and OOS option, but you sacrifice recovery distance (the last thing to give to Mario since he has a sub-par recovery, making it worse)
Scalding FLUDD : your go-to FLUDD, most disjointed move for Mario, great edgeguarding tool and faster charge-up time
HP FLUDD : +FLUDD, but more charge-up time and the recoil pushes you far away. Can be a great recovery tool for Mario.

MackaBoy26

Smash Rookie
NNID
MackaBoy26
Hey me again, I want to know your opinion on my custom Mario set, I mainly use Mario when we have custom enable and I want to know if this is really the best load out for him.
The custom moves that I use are
Fast Fireball
Gust Cape
Normal Jump Punch
High Pressure FLUDD
I mainly use these custom for having fireballs similar to Falcos old lazers and using different side and down b's mainly for gimping and spacing.
Also is it true that Fast Fireball is able to Jab-Lock?

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hey me again, I want to know your opinion on my custom Mario set, I mainly use Mario when we have custom enable and I want to know if this is really the best load out for him.
Fast Fireball
Gust Cape
Normal Jump Punch
High Pressure FLUDD
I mainly use these custom for having fireballs similar to Falcos old lazers and using different side and down b's mainly for gimping and spacing.
Your custom load is REALLY, BUT REALLY GOOD in my opinion! I originally even used this combination when I play custom Mario. I just prefer high pressure FLUDD rather than Scalding FLUDD because it pushes opponents even further and can help recovery. Yeah, definitely a great pick for you man! We're on the same boat of custom sets I guess! As for Fast Fireball, YES! You can set-up a lock with it. Hope this helps as always!

Kulty

Smash Ace
Fast Fireball
Gust Cape
Normal Jump Punch
High Pressure FLUDD
Also, for your Sheik-Luigi matchup, ZeRo actually explained it recently in a video. You can check it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDI-bnMM9DQ.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Could you also maybe help me out on some things pertaining to luigi? I'm thinking about picking him up as well.

such as moves compared to mario's and combos.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Could you also maybe help me out on some things pertaining to luigi? I'm thinking about picking him up as well.

such as moves compared to mario's and combos.
Sure, no problem! I'll be busy for the next few months (school starts), but I'll try my best! Anyway, you can sure try to pick Luigi since he's really a better version of Mario I could say. Overall, when you're Luigi, you want to force your opponents to approach with Fireballs, since Luigi's so much better than Mario's Fireballs. Your main offensive option with Luigi is getting the grab (especially the down-throw). It is the best down-throw in the game, since it leads to guaranteed combos and kill setups no matter where the opponent DIs. Also, in general, don't try to approach with Luigi since it can give him a hard time getting into opponent unless for specific matchups. Try to force your opponent to approach. Your worst matchups as Luigi are characters that can easily cover landing options like fast characters such as :4falcon:and :4sonic:(the latter especially) (since Luigi really has a low falling speed due to his floatiness and trademarks from the Mario games), characters with disjointed hitboxes such as :4marth:and:4shulk:(due to Luigi's poor range just like :4mario:), zoning characters such as :4megaman::4pacman:(since Luigi can't really approach them since a Luigi player wants grabs most of the time) and characters that can exploit Luigi's predictable recovery options such as :4villager::4sheik:(those who are good at edgeguarding). That's basically it.

If I have to suggest, if you would like to improve your fundamentals with :4mario:, pick :4luigi:and:4drmario:(like I said on the guide, go read the section ''Differences with Dr. Mario - Should I play Dr. Mario?'' if you need to). Luigi can help you improve Mario, because the three characters have poor range and sub-par recovery. However, they have amazing combo game and a great punish game. Luigi helps you be creative in your combos with Mario even if they're semi-clones and mixup your recovery options. Again, you don't have to follow my advice, but it's just my recommendation. Pick Luigi! He's definitely a great character! Go see the Luigi boards and Luigi guides if you want to know more what the character can do.

Last edited:

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I truly appreciate it!

Since i've been watching a few Luigi professionals (Poyo,Boss) really made me want to start using Luigi!

Now I have an idea what bad match ups to look for.

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me updated ''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.0.2) with a new update entry:

Ver. 1.0.3 : New content approaching and sections added

Hi guys,

Long time no see! I have been busy for the past few months, because school just started. Anyway, there has been a lot of changes prior to the last patch (ver. 1.1.1). While Mario doesn't have any changes in this patch (as usual and thank god), I want to address something about the new shield mechanics and how it does affect Mario and his MUs as a whole. Expect some new sections to be added in the ''Extra'' section of the guide soon. I will plan sometime in the future to do a...

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Kulty Kulty
I really like this guide it is very informative and will help alot of players.EDIT: you mind explaining why mario beats dk and gaw?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom