• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do regional Nintendo exclusives need their share?

Yes or No?

• Yes, I understand.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • NO, YOU'RE JUST SUPPORTING NESTER, I THINK YOU'RE TROLLING.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
While I was arguing why Nester and Mike (American Nintendo characters), I decided to make this topic to discuss it.

Should characters or franchises exclusive to a certain region (excluding Japan) have their appearance in Super Smash Bros? Starfy (a Japanese Nintendo character) finally had a spotlight in Brawl, why don't we share something exclusive that Japan doesn't know?

American Nintendo characters listed for your curiosity:
- Nester (Nester's Funky Bowling, Nintendo Power)
- Mike Jones (Startropics)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Video game characters exclusive to other regions are extremely rare. And I mean those characters originating from video games (Not Nester!).

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Well, I don't know Nester nor Mike. But japanese-only characters got in Melee and Brawl because they were fairly popular in Japan, and I don't think (though I could be wrong) the characters you mentioned are popular in America at all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, are there any North America exclusive video game characters to discuss about?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Please stop, get back on topic. I'm serious.
...says the same person who derailed the Isaac support thread.

It doesn't matter what "region" is the character from. What it matters is relevancy and popularity, nothing more. You'd be best to consider that Nintendo is a Japanese company.

Sure it has studios in America, but it's still a Japanese company.

Well then...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
...says the same person who derailed the Isaac support thread.

It doesn't matter what "region" is the character from. What it matters is relevancy and popularity, nothing more. You'd be best to consider that Nintendo is a Japanese company.

Sure it has studios in America, but it's still a Japanese company.

Well then...

And that's why it needs to go a new direction (in which the new direction is my suggestion).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's no use arguing with you, now is it? Besides we have things in Brawl that come from games produced by American Nintendo studios.

Do some research before posting here, will you?

Because I am an overall sympathetic person, I will provide you with this link, from which you can broaden your knowledge on this matter.

This said...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It's no use arguing with you, now is it? Besides we have things in Brawl that come from games produced by American Nintendo studios.

Do some research before posting here, will you?

Because I am an overall sympathetic person, I will provide you with this link, from which you can broaden your knowledge on this matter.

This said...
I'm telling you to stop now, I need better responses about the topic being discussed than this useless pointless comment.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To get better responses, post some info on the OP so that it can be discussed!

Therer are no regional exclusives to talk about in this thread. :glare:
I'm outta here.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Region exclusive characters have been stated by Sakurai to be a risky move in character choices, heck Marth/Roy were originally going to be exclusive to the Japanese version of Melee, but it's not the end of the world for most characters so long as they're appealing. Nester's problem is just that he's pretty obscure and, more importantly, isn't a video game character, to which Sakurai has outright stated are out of the roster running.

Anyway the only Nintendo character that is Western exclusive that is worth mentioning is Mike Jones from Startropics.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Regional exclusive characters have a bit of a harder time getting in, as being only familiar among one region is a point against them in Sakurai's mind, but if the character has enough other redeeming qualities, then of course they could still be added, if there is merit in them. This would also apply to any hypothetical NA or Europe-only characters (lol, a Europe only character :p), but as it stands now there aren't any NA-only characters that merit inclusion (Mike Jones is outclassed by other retro reps, and not having a Japanese release is, granted, a major point against him, and Nester is just very unlikely for all the reasons stated in his thread), and there are really only a few, if any, Japanese-only characters that still merit inclusion, since characters like Takamaru, Saki, and Starfy are no longer Japan-only. Really the only one I can think of that has even a small chance would be IMO Lip, and that's a very small chance. Sukapon would too, if Sakurai hadn't previously rejected him.

So, yeah, if a character merits inclusion they merit inclusion, no matter what region their games have been in (though exclusivity does hurt their chances), but as it stands now, there aren't really any exclusive characters that stand out as overly deserving anymore, so at this point I'd say no, there really aren't any exclusive characters that should be playable (especially American-only characters).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
People are quick to say "Nester didn't appear in a video game and is thus not eligible" when R.O.B. originally appeared as an accessory and only had cameo appearances in games later on (Kirby's Dream Land 3, Mario Kart DS, etc.). Unlike R.O.B., Nester actually starred in his own game, Nester's Funky Bowling on the doomed Virtual Boy.

The only reason I see Nester not making it into the roster isn't because he is an American-made character, or too esoteric for anyone to remember, but because at the end of the day, no one gives a crap about him, regardless if they can remember him or not. Does it mean he'll never make it? No. It just means his chances are too low to really have any significance.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not that people say Nester didn't appear in a video game, it's them saying Nester didn't debut in a video game.

I really don't think it matters when it comes to Nintendo owned properties whether they started in a video game or not. I'm pretty sure the original context was ruling out anime characters and such, talking about 3rd party characters.

Top Bottom