• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do pro's tend to use L or R for wave dashing?

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
Is there any info on this? I am fresh to the competitive scene and I want to start off on the right foot. I am not looking for replies saying "it's all preference." I am curious if people actually know which shoulder button some of the pros are using!

kingPiano

Smash Ace
This thread has been made probably like 20 times before.

A large majority of smashers use Y > R to wave-dash to leave the left had free to independently manipulate the Analog stick. And a majority L-cancel with L but a lot prefer Z since you can double or triple tap it (1st Z for aerial, 2nd Z to cancel, 3rd Z if you want to grab after landing ). Some even use all variations of every button since they are so well practiced.

I personally use Y > R for wave-dashing, leaves my left hand free for maximum taunts per minute

Also some pros grip the controller like a claw; everyone's different, don't copy or they might sue you for being unoriginal .

Last edited:

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
Thanks. Similar threads have been made before, but the OP's are always asking what is best, which baits the obvious response of "do what works" which is not the answer I am looking for.

AirFair

Marth tho
I don't really think it matters, because your play is only affected by what you are most comfortable with really.

But I use Y and R myself, and L cancel with L. It's nice to try all the possibilities before you single any method out for yourself.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Using the L button for any reason is blasphemous in Super Smash Brothers Melee and is Sacrilege to our great lord Sakurai. If you ever see anyone press the L button while playing you have the permission of the Church Of Melee to slaughter the infidel where he stands (or sits).

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
Using the L button for any reason is blasphemous in Super Smash Brothers Melee and is Sacrilege to our great lord Sakurai. If you ever see anyone press the L button while playing you have the permission of the Church Of Melee to slaughter the infidel where he stands (or sits).
Mang0 uses L...at least for wavedashing.

D

Deleted member

i use x-r because it puts less strain on my thumb because it rests on the a button so theres less stretching to press y :)

I would wage that neurologically, since you're putting the correct wavedash timing on both hemispheres of the brain instead of one when you use Y+L instead of Y+R, it is generally easier to wavedash more fluidly with R at first. This is what I've found in my own wavedash practices. Nowadays I can wavedash with either input.

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
I'm using the stick and R to wavedash... and I can do it without having any problem.

I'm also L canceling with L.

Last edited:

TheMasterHand

Smash Rookie
Is there any info on this? I am fresh to the competitive scene and I want to start off on the right foot. I am not looking for replies saying "it's all preference." I am curious if people actually know which shoulder button some of the pros are using!
It doesnt matter just use whatever you're comfortable with

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Don't players who started with Smash 64 typically use the L trigger, due to how it's similar to using the z button on an N64 controller (since you're using the same hand for the analogue).

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I use R to wavedash. It's completely personal preference. Though, I've heard most people use L.

Huskeii

Smash Rookie
Well if you want to start with the RIGHT foot then you should use RIGHT trigger (R) to wavedash, amirite?! Jokes aside, I personally find it easier to do it with R. You should really use what's more comfortable to you. I know, I know, this isn't the answer you were looking for but this is pretty much what you need to do, don't force yourself to use a button because the pros use it.

Pafslash

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pafsafasafs
I use the claw grip on my controller so I always have a finger free for the c-stick, and as a natural cause of this, I use L for wavedashing, l-cancelling, and occasional shielding (I vary between triggers for shielding, right middle finger at R for light shield, left index at L for heavy shield)

However, back when I didn't use claw grip, I would wavedash, shield, tech, and whatever with R.

Narpas_sword

I would wage that neurologically, since you're putting the correct wavedash timing on both hemispheres of the brain instead of one when you use Y+L instead of Y+R, it is generally easier to wavedash more fluidly with R at first. This is what I've found in my own wavedash practices. Nowadays I can wavedash with either input.

I'll take that wage.

Since you know,
The control stick is on the left and jump is on the right anyway.

The only way to do it with one hand would be to Stick jump and Dodge with L.

Last edited:

TimSin

Smash Cadet
Wtf is wave dashing
Wave dashing is a directioned airdodge to the ground, usually after a short hop. This is used in competetive play for using standing options while moving. This technique gives a "sliding" kind of movement.

As for the question, I use Y+R.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
X -> R all day. There are times I wish I used Y and L because I multishine with with Y and I L-Cancel with Z and since I use my index finger for Z and R, I sometimes feel like I'm moving it too much when I could have just used L, oh well too late to change now.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Interchangeable for me since I use X and Y to jump, but R is definitely my trigger button to use.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I use L and X but I'm neither professional nor good at this game.

I'll take that wage.

Since you know,
The control stick is on the left and jump is on the right anyway.

The only way to do it with one hand would be to Stick jump and Dodge with L.
No, the timing really comes down to jump+dodge, since you're already holding a direction by the time you jump, and the timing of jump+direction doesn't matter too much. It's about how well you can secure a tight jump+dodge, since the alternative is a slow wavedash.

Trynone

Smash Rookie
I did a bit of research on this too when I first started practicing Melee, and so far I'm happy with my choice. I chose to use Y to jump (Y is closer to the B button) and L to wavedash. I use Z to L-cancel. I heard Z was good for L-canceling since you don't have to worry about clicking on L or R all the way in and not being able to tech for the next 40 frames. Of course, if you only slightly press the L or R button to L-cancel, you don't have to worry about this. However, I like to have my finger on the Z button most of the time since I try to get a lot of grabs, so using the Z button to L-cancel works perfectly for me. Since I'm using Z to L-cancel with one hand, I use L to wavedash with the other hand. Also, I use R to wavedash out of shield.

If you're planning to claw, then I'm not sure what the best strategy is. Also, I think using X to jump and R to wavedash is the fastest and easiest way to learn how to wavedash IMO. Even after practicing with Y and L, I was better with X and R for the longest time. This might not be the case for you though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I cancel, wave dash and shield with R, the left trigger is more a finger rest for me :p

Top Bottom