• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do not fear, I have run the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
After seconds of common sence I realized, even if every one of you"good melee players" went back to melee, that would leave like a million people still playing brawl. With those numbers competitive smash is inevitable. When a million people play a game some start to think there better than others...competition. Regardless how many people go back to melee brawl will still have a much bigger competitive scene, soley on the numbers. So I say, go back to melee, and we will all gander in amazment and the new pro names on youtube, as the melee addicts become the silent minority.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I sense animosity. Could the Melee players just possibly be RIGHT?!?!?!

For the record, I hope not, but they make a highly convincing argument.

Brawl will have competition.

It will not be competitive.

Also, about all the numbers blather...quantity =/= quality. By your logic, Wii Play is the most highly competitive game on the Wii.

Killress

Smash Ace
I have recently played brawl, and I enjoyed it, though I would say the competitive level of playing has greatly withered since melee. But yes, I agree, the competition will be immense, especially with Wi-Fi.

The Executive

Smash Lord
I have recently played brawl, and I enjoyed it, though I would say the competitive level of playing has greatly withered since melee. But yes, I agree, the competition will be immense, especially with Wi-Fi.
Read up on the concept of latency. Friend codes and registration issues aside, unless Nintendo does some SERIOUS patching to their infrastructure, I can't see Wi-Fi becoming a viable option for any organized play. This isn't Japan, people are spread out over a much higher area. Lag cannot be neutralized, only lessened, and host always has advantage due to having server response time cut in half.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I don't think your attitiude is very helpful. And threads like these are in abundance already.

However, you are right in the sense that the majority of Smashers love Brawl and will continue to play with friends, online and in tournaments regardless of what the few vocal detractors decide to do. However, I do wish Melee fans the best and hope the two communities can coexist in harmony.

The Executive

Smash Lord
So Brawl will have non-competitive competition? I must not be reading your post right.
Can you explain what you mean by those conflicting statements?
They aren't in conflict, they're two different things.

Read the initial post on Scar's thread in the General Brawl Discussion. Scroll down to "Competitive vs Competition". Hope that helps.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
So Brawl will have non-competitive competition? I must not be reading your post right.
Can you explain what you mean by those conflicting statements?
Quite simple: some people use the term competitive to mean "accurate measurment of skill."

Others perfer the real defintion: participation in compeitition. Simple language barrier.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
Quite simple: some people use the term competitive to mean "accurate measurment of skill."

Others perfer the real defintion: participation in compeitition. Simple language barrier.
Very true. I prefer the real definition.
For example, Stephen Hawking could play LeBron James in basketball. It would be a competition, but not an accurate measure of skill.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
By your logic (OP), rock paper scissors is one of the most competitive games ever... So many people have played it, and some start to think they're better, right?

The mindgames are EXTREMELY complex too...

Parallels? hm...

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
By your logic (OP), rock paper scissors is one of the most competitive games ever... So many people have played it, and some start to think they're better, right?

The mindgames are EXTREMELY complex too...

Parallels? hm...
Now you've got it. EVERYTHING involving competition is competitive. It really is. All that matters is if we each personally prefer a particular type of competition.

Personally speaking, I consider Brawl's gameplay to be completely flawless and look forward to many years of awesome competitions.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Now you've got it. EVERYTHING involving competition is competitive. It really is. All that matters is if we each personally prefer a particular type of competition.

Personally speaking, I consider Brawl's gameplay to be completely flawless and look forward to many years of awesome competitions.
My point is that rock paper scissors is a random game.

I suppose if you want to define competitive as anything you can compete at, go for it. We could have a baby splatter competition... throw babies off the roof of a tall building, and whoever gets the widest diameter of splatter wins.

It wouldn't be fun, it'd be almost completely random, but hey, it's competitive, right?

I find it strange that you find Brawl's gameplay flawless, given all its... flaws... but mostly the strong prevalence of randomness and defensiveness. But hey, to each his own.

I suppose I'm jealous... in the same way that I'm jealous of very young children who still have their innocence, naivety, and wide-eyed view of the world.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I suppose I'm jealous... in the same way that I'm jealous of very young children who still have their innocence, naivety, and wide-eyed view of the world.

Many Melee players have issues looking at this game with a new set of eyes. Bias from Melee almost always drags over, and thus, they feel frustrated by this game's flaws.

I really only have one issue with it, and that is tripping. Reduced hitstun and increased defensive options settle into my ways of playing well. But that **** random slipping on my ***... pure annoyance.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
My point is that rock paper scissors is a random game.
My rock is unbeatable. No one ever sees it coming.

I suppose if you want to define competitive as anything you can compete at, go for it. We could have a baby splatter competition... throw babies off the roof of a tall building, and whoever gets the widest diameter of splatter wins.

It wouldn't be fun, it'd be almost completely random, but hey, it's competitive, right?
Dude, you totally read my mind! Monday, 8:00 at the CN tower in Torono. Be there!

I find it strange that you find Brawl's gameplay flawless, given all its... flaws... but mostly the strong prevalence of randomness and defensiveness. But hey, to each his own.
Wrong, sir. Those are not flaws, but intentional design choices ingeniusly envisioned to make the game more accessible to more people - and therefore more competitive . I applaud Sakurai's vision in designing a game that is more fun for more people. Videogames serve no other purpose.

Goo goo gah gah. Brawl rocks my socks.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawl being played competitvely does not mean it is more competitve. Well, using the word competitive here has become common on these boards, but what pro-Melee players are saying is that Melee demands more skill. Even if there wasn't wavedashing or l-cancelling, there would still be this same identical debate.

TC, you're new to the community here no? When I was new I'd constantly bash anti-item people, hate on people for wavedashing, e.c.t. But, one day I grew bored of predicting Brawl characters so I decided to up my Melee game. No, never learned wavedashing (well, not how to use it consistently), but reading Gimpy's v-logs, and some general guides, I became really good at Melee.

Now that I go to play Brawl, I feel like I'm HELD as being a Melee noob because how pro Brawl is played is how I played Melee when I was new to the competitve scene. TC, I know you won't do this because Brawl is out now, why would you go back, but please play Melee, learn all the skill it takes, play the heck out of it with your friends, then try going back to Brawl. You'll never make the jump back...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Wrong, sir. Those are not flaws, but intentional design choices ingeniusly envisioned to make the game more accessible to more people - and therefore more competitive . I applaud Sakurai's vision in designing a game that is more fun for more people. Videogames serve no other purpose.
Pit VS Wolf, Toon Link VS Snake, ROB VS Dedede...try playing Brawl properly with these match-ups. I played a Pit VS Wolf the other day, and man am I happy to know that I still have Melee...for the record I did win, and yes, it was by reflecting a projectile XD!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Brawl being played competitvely does not mean it is more competitve. Well, using the word competitive here has become common on these boards, but what pro-Melee players are saying is that Melee demands more skill. Even if there wasn't wavedashing or l-cancelling, there would still be this same identical debate.
Having more people play compeitively is precisely what "more competitive" means.

As for requiring more skill, that's true enough. But does that make the game more fun? For some yes, for others no. Neither preferance is right nor wrong. It all comes down to what folks enjoy.

Pit VS Wolf, Toon Link VS Snake, ROB VS Dedede...try playing Brawl properly with these match-ups. I played a Pit VS Wolf the other day, and man am I happy to know that I still have Melee...for the record I did win, and yes, it was by reflecting a projectile XD!
No thanks. I'm an Olimar/Mario/DK guy. And they are all extremely fun.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
You know what, I'm going to sit back and laugh as a portion of SWF perform seppuku when Melee tournaments become nigh impossible to find. People won't go back to the days of "Fox Only" and if they do, then no harm to me.

My problem with brawl is tripping
My problem with melee is the complete lack of diversity, Marth, Space Animals, Peach and Shiek should not be an entire meta, I think there were more viable characters in Street Fighter II, The World Warrior. That's saying something.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
There seems to be some kind of odd belief that because alot of people are playing brawl, there's going to be some kind of huge Brawl tourney scene. The problem is that 99% of the people that play Brawl will never even hear about the competitive smash scene, and a large portion of that 1% who does wont take the time to go out to Brawl tournaments as they'll quickly realize its not nearly what they hope it to be(there is a horrible, horrible balance skew in the game, if you don't see it your either ******** or wearing rose tinted glasses) Eventually Brawl tourneys will did down and suddenly the "Huge Brawl Tourney Scene" wont matter.

Oh and, guy above me is a ******.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom