• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do my PM skills carry over?

Dexmaster

Smash Cadet
It'll be a while until I get a legit copy of Melee. Is there anything I can't really practice in PM that is important for Melee?

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Well, there is Lightshielding in Melee, though its not that important. I would also warn you that inputs in general are more tighter and strict in Melee

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I personally only played PM once for like 5 hours at a friend's house, but my Melee skills were able to carry over to PM. I know for a fact that no character in PM that is in melee feels the same.

AirFair

Marth tho
PM is easier to do tech with. As mentioned above, inputs should be faster. Basically:

It's easy to go from Melee to PM

It's hard to go from PM to Melee.

It's still possible to adapt.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, chaingrabbing is much harder in Melee than it is in PM. In PM, you have extra buffer frames in which you can input a grab, causing it to grab on frame one reguardless if you timed it correctly. In Melee, you don't have this luxury and if you try to grab but press early and hold Z, you will light shield instead of grabbing.

I personally never experienced many transition problems because I started with Melee, but there is also a lot of character-specific tech (SHL, Waveshining, etc.)that feels different, in addition to the wavedashing differences in PM (you can't see the difference, but after WDing in Melee for a few years, it feels weird in PM). The only transition problem I ever had was the C-Stick causing a dash attack (while dashing, obviously) in PM.

Acholight

Smash Rookie
I guess since you'd be maining Fox in Melee, the transition from PM to Melee will be kind of hard. The timings are a lot more precise and unforgiving such as doing some "simple" tech's like short hop double lasering or wave shining etc. will require you to input the moves a lot quicker than in PM.

Last edited:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Fighting game fundamentals carry over any game in the genre, you just have to understand your new environment to be able to apply your knowledge effectively. Getting used to the mechanical differences of melee will be a bit tough at first, but you shouldn't be put back in terms of playing skill unless you heavily relied on PM gimmicks to win matches.

Spend your time learning more about the game competitively, rather than practicing tech skill.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Well, there is Lightshielding in Melee, though its not that important. I would also warn you that inputs in general are more tighter and strict in Melee
Played newest version of PM for the first time this weekend. Can confirm this. I was able to moonwalk with fox, 100% double laser, waveshine backwards, and never missed a short hop. Very different when I play Melee. Also, Fox felt a bit more floaty in PM.

But I would say you should be okay. You just have to learn a couple of differences, but the majority of things you have to learn are already learned!

Last edited:
Top Bottom