• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do HDMI to Component cables produce lag?

YimS

Smash Rookie
The title pretty much says it but more specifically I'm wondering if I set up dolphin on my computer, plugged in an HDMI to component cable converter into a CRT TV if it'll produce lag. (Other than any dolphin lag)

Kadano

Magical Express
It would depend on the digital-to-analog converter within the cable. Do you have a certain model in mind?

YimS

Smash Rookie
Not really, but if you have a good one in mind that would help a lot

Kadano

Magical Express
Not really, but if you have a good one in mind that would help a lot
I do not. I try to avoid HDMI in general; I usually go for RGBHV on CRTs and DVI / DP on LCDs.

Does your computer not have any VGA (RGBHV) outputs that you could connect to a CRT monitor directly? If not, I’d say that it would be preferable to use a gaming LCD (for example Asus VG248QE) than a probably laggy / bad picture quality converter cable.

Last edited:

YimS

Smash Rookie
Nah my computer isn't that fancy, its an older asus ROG laptop. But I suppose it's not that big of a deal, I can always stop cheaping out and just get another wii. Does practicing with a setup that involves HDMI to an LCD monitor affect tech skill that badly, so much so that I shouldn't practice that way?

Kadano

Magical Express
Nah my computer isn't that fancy, its an older asus ROG laptop. But I suppose it's not that big of a deal, I can always stop cheaping out and just get another wii. Does practicing with a setup that involves HDMI to an LCD monitor affect tech skill that badly, so much so that I shouldn't practice that way?
Cheaping out and get another Wii? I think it's likely that you can get a Wii for less than a working HDMI to component adapter / cable. (I bought five Wiis for 20€ each last week, they are really cheap by now.)

From what I remember, Armada and some others said that the fastest LCDs they have played on still don't feel like CRTs (LCDs still have a minimum of about 4 ms lag over CRTs at 60 Hz), but he would play tournament matches on them. So I don't think it's that bad. Although to be honest I only play on CRTs, since Melee on a high quality 480p CRT monitor looks and feels much better than on CRT to me, and is also more affordable mostly.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I would connect the laptop directly to a BenQ or ASUS gaming monitor. They still have between 9-10ms of lag though, and my friends and I still notice it. You also then have to consider how much lag is being produced by Dolphin and the Gamecube to USB adapter as well. Do yourself a favor, buy a Wii, component cables, and a CRT that supports Component.

YimS

Smash Rookie
Sounds good, I'll probably stick with CRT's and Wii's. Thanks for the help guys

Top Bottom