• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do HD TV's really Lag Wifi?

OverLade

Smash Hero
I'm sorry if there's been a topic on this already, or if it's in the FAQ, but I couldn't find it.

I've been told by several people that playing Wifi on an HD TV will cause more delay in the game. I've also heard that that's bull and you shouldn't listen to it. I dont know what to beleive now, but I just got an HD so I want to know what to do. I don't have component cables yet, but I plan on getting them. I'm also using Wifi, NOT a wired connection.

Thanks.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
A HDTV created for video gaming will not add to the lag of Wi-Fi.

If you purchase a HDTV that wasn't meant for lagless gaming, then yes, it will make your Wi-Fi experience more laggy.

This comes from the fact that no matter how good your connection is, there will always be some lag due to the fact that fighting games cannot hide lag like racing games can and still be effective in allowing you to face off with your foe(s). This combined with the lag of HDTVs that were meant to play movies and whatnot instead of gaming.

You know, because America's Internet is...kinda terrible compared to some other developed countries. >_>

Ending conclusion: If you bought a good HDTV, you have nothing serious to worry about.

X6488

Smash Journeyman
I happen to use a cheap HDTV (as in, $500 black friday cheap). When you say it'll lag it, what do you mean exactly?

EDIT: To be specific, I'm asking Viet. I don't want to lag when I finally hook up my wired connection!

OverLade

Smash Hero
A HDTV created for video gaming will not add to the lag of Wi-Fi.

If you purchase a HDTV that wasn't meant for lagless gaming, then yes, it will make your Wi-Fi experience more laggy.

This comes from the fact that no matter how good your connection is, there will always be some lag due to the fact that fighting games cannot hide lag like racing games can and still be effective in allowing you to face off with your foe(s). This combined with the lag of HDTVs that were meant to play movies and whatnot instead of gaming.

You know, because America's Internet is...kinda terrible compared to some other developed countries. >_>

Ending conclusion: If you bought a good HDTV, you have nothing serious to worry about.
Well I definetly have no idea what kind of HD TV I bought, but 500$ black friday cheap is actually exactly right XD.

It's a 2007, 42" Phillips Plasma. It's used, so I couldn't testify whether it's good quality or not.

pockyD

Smash Legend
plug them in and try it, duh

just to clarify (I think this is what was said, but I'm unsure), your HDTV will not lag the actual game you are playing on wi-fi; it will only lag what displays on your screen. As such, your opponent will not notice any extra lag (aside from the built-in wifi lag) whether you're playing on an HDTV, CRT, computer, or cereal box.

component cables will help (once again, it only affects your own display) a great deal, though it still won't technically be as lagless as a traditional TV. However, component cable lag is barely noticeable, if at all, in brawl

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Err, why don't you guys like...I don't know, plug your Wii in, play a few Brawls and stuff and see if there's any input lag when you attack/shield/etc.

I don't think Component cables will make things less laggy. If your HDTV is already lagless in terms of gaming (if you're watching television, or watching someone else play, you'll naturally not notice), then you'll get a nice picture and have a great gaming experience.

There's a chain of Play N Trades down here with Philips Plasmas, and I must say I lose every tourney there because of lag, and a power character always wins because of mistimed shields, etc. It's a one second delay, VERY noticeable if you're competitive and playing character like, say Marth, or someone else that requires precision in timing and spacing.

^ Umm yeah, I'm not going to another tourney at PnT, lol.

So I don't know if your TV sucks or not, but can't you try it out? <_<

Yeah, this was toward both of you.

EDIT: PockyD nailed it down. Maybe next time I would want to refresh the page after grabbing a snack, yeah?

Mm, Pocky...

OverLade

Smash Hero
Thanks everyone for all your help, I'll simply try it. I'll give feedback if I notice anything.

Top Bottom