• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Do all smash pros use the gamecube controller?

Ultim8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ultim8Luis
3DS FC
4785-6835-4967
The title says it all.

Now, i'm creating this thead clarify my doubts because from what I see all the top players use the gamecube controller and everyone seems to say that it's the best to play smash.

Yet I want to know if it's just because it feels nostalgic or maybe because it's more confortable than the other controllers or for any other reason.

Also, I would like to know if there arre any pros who use the pro controller or the pro commander.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I plan to use the Wii U Pro controller. I like the layout more.
Also I know that some pro players use it too, but it's not common. Both the GC and Pro controllers are viable 100%. The rest are more meh.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Not all in the absolute sense, but the vast majority. Pro controllers are the second best pick, but still have issues associated with being wireless. Ultimately, though, go with whatever you're most comfortable with.

Personally, I don't do well with other controllers because the buttons (XABY) aren't symmetrical to the joystick like they are on the Gamecube controller. Having my fingers misaligned to each other feels weird to me on a controller.

Azew

Smash Lord
The majority do, but not exactly because it makes you better (which it really doesn't) but because they're used to it. If you don't like it don't feel like you need to use it. Just use what's comfortable.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I see some even using the 3DS. Not the famous pros, but I have seen people in big tournament choose the 3DS over all else.

Gamecube is still the best feeling though imo.

Browningtons

Smash Rookie
NNID
browningtons
I personally hate the gamecube controller, the joystick texture is annoyin as hell and the xyab button layout is weird

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Most of the "pros" do, yes
But then, that's mostly because of Melee.

Honestly, though, it's not required. It's a lot like Street Fighter. Not everyone needs a fight stick. Sometimes a good ol' PS3/Xbox controller will do the job. Use what you want to.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I saw somebody use a Pro Controller on a tourney stream once. But then again, just use whatever controller you like the most. I mean, there are some people who play Smash 64 with a keyboard.

Atomic_SSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
AtomSmasher07
OCO Le Troof, one of the best Sm4sh Bowser mains, uses the pro controller. And he kills. Places high at Xanadu.

Bizbang

Smash Rookie
NNID
Philogagger
3DS FC
4639-8950-7984
Been participating in local tournaments with the classic pro (one that connects to a wiimote), and enjoy it. Played a lot of Monster Hunter, so muscle movements are already there. The one sad thing being the bluetooth communication... Charging attacks can be unreliable because communication CAN cut out. The more Wiis and Wii Us, the more likely.

IMO the best thing to keep in mind when making a choice is noticing how you are performing input errors. When I first started using the classic pro, I had a hard time keeping my bearings with the joystick because my thumb was now at a different angle (coming from GC controller). I also noticed that when I catch myself leaning in a chair I tilt my controller a bit, making the normal muscle movements give slightly different directional inputs.

Ultim8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ultim8Luis
3DS FC
4785-6835-4967
I see some even using the 3DS. Not the famous pros, but I have seen people in big tournament choose the 3DS over all else.

Gamecube is still the best feeling though imo.
the thing with the 3ds is that you don't have the entire control the circle pad. Some times when i want to do side special it gives me up special. Plus I have the trend to sweat from my fingers making the pad slippery

As for the Gamecube controller, can't really find the adapter anywhere so my best option is the pro controller.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Since Nintendo is neglecting their responsibility on restocking gc adapters, I had to teach myself to use the gamepad. Its so so, the pro controller is the same situation. I prefer gamecube controller since its the one controller I've been using for 10+ years but I can make do with the gamepad/pro controller. I really hope Nintendo restocks those adapters soon, I'm tired of seeing price gouges that go for $50+ its just ridiculous. Just as much as the amiibos selling out all. The time.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I consider mineself to be a fairly advanced player, and I use the original Wii classic controller. I like the classic controller the most simply because it takes me back to mine childhood.

[EDIT] Though, I have to agree on the wireless problems. I'm not entirely sure if it's the wireless to blame, but there have been times--online and offline--when I have inputted a command that did not actually register until about a second later. Either that, or a different command will be registered. Also, sometimes when I throw an item with the left stick, mine character will throw the item in the opposite direction I flicked the left stick. Very irritating.

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I personally use the GameCube controller because that's what I grew up with, and when I first encountered the Wiimote controls, they were a disaster to me. I've had countless chances to learn the controls, but playing with the Wiimote just puts me out of my comfort zone, then blows up the comfort zone itself! How am I supposed to play well when all my focus is wasted on memorizing such outlandish controls? I've grown used to the Gamepad, and I fancy those controls as well, but it can't really compare to the GC controls.

Galacta Knight

Smash Rookie
While the GC is my favorite, I refuse to spend all of the dollars on a controller adapter when I know that the Wii U wireless controller is solid as well in principle.

That being said, it's still taking some getting used to and it'll probably take a lot of muscle memory relearning, especially since I haven't really been hitting my Wii U hard enough in other games to learn it by heart. So far the best balance has been remapping the Wii U controller to match the GC's button placement as close as possible. It helps.

Ultim8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ultim8Luis
3DS FC
4785-6835-4967
While the GC is my favorite, I refuse to spend all of the dollars on a controller adapter when I know that the Wii U wireless controller is solid as well in principle.

That being said, it's still taking some getting used to and it'll probably take a lot of muscle memory relearning, especially since I haven't really been hitting my Wii U hard enough in other games to learn it by heart. So far the best balance has been remapping the Wii U controller to match the GC's button placement as close as possible. It helps.
Yeah I understand. I'm already used to the 3ds that i'll mess up making smash attack for example.

JUNIT

Smash Rookie
NNID
JUNITO42
3DS FC
2981-9021-9040
Myran uses Nunchuk I think

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
Most use it because they played with it since Melee. I personally use the classic controllers styled after the gamecube controller.

Top Bottom