• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Air Dodge Cancels with Ness's Dair

joniho

Smash Cadet
There is no landing lag if you land during the start of Ness's Dair. It's a very large window.

This means that you should always do Ness's Air Dodge Cancels with his Dair, since don't need the precision timing of doing an aerial 4(?) frames before landing.

It also looks cool because Ness basically hops around as a sparkling pogo.

(I don't know where to find the search function on my phone, so apologies if this has been discovered already)

Last edited:

MikeyAM

Smash Rookie
How are you incorporating that into your gameplay? As an approach option or more defensively?

joniho

Smash Cadet
How are you incorporating that into your gameplay? As an approach option or more defensively?
It's basically a slower wavedash, so it can be used in multiple ways. :p

I use it both in my neutral game as well as an approach as a substitute for rolling. Whereas rolling allows you to dodge, it always has a fixed destination. Air Dodge Canceling on the other hand allows you to space as you please.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I use either D-air or N-air but D-air tends to get me punished, because when you cancel the AD you no longer have invincibility so whilst doing the Dair you can be hit.

But it's something I do occasionally for mixups because no landing lag can really lead me into good stuff.

Usually though I break it with nair. :p

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Haven't played much in a few weeks, so I forget if it was so before (guessing not since it had to be cancelled with an aerial), but in 1.0.4 Ness can finish a SH air dodge and does not get the landing lag.

joniho

Smash Cadet
I use either D-air or N-air but D-air tends to get me punished, because when you cancel the AD you no longer have invincibility so whilst doing the Dair you can be hit.

But it's something I do occasionally for mixups because no landing lag can really lead me into good stuff.

Usually though I break it with nair. :p
Does Nair's hitbox even come out when you do an Air Dodge Cancel? You have to do it right before landing to remove the landing lag. The point of Air Dodge Canceling is eliminating landing lag, rather than clearing the way for a ground landing.

Haven't played much in a few weeks, so I forget if it was so before (guessing not since it had to be cancelled with an aerial), but in 1.0.4 Ness can finish a SH air dodge and does not get the landing lag.
This sounds big!

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The issue with it being to eliminate landing lag is that you're basically achieving nothing from it except being closer to the opponent and able to do stuff. Which sounds good except when you Dair you're now out of airdodge but you're going to cancel it when you hit the ground without its hitboxes coming out so as soon as you initiate the Dair you're vulnerable to be hit.

That's why I prefer Nair because you're safe going in and put out hitboxes to cover you when you come out of the AD, y'know?

Top Bottom