• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC Tier Placements

SpartBagelz

Smash Rookie
Yesterday Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were released as DLC for Smash Bros. What is the current idea for how the fair in the battlefield? Does anyone have an idea of how they will be placed or are we still testing? I've been playing a ton of Ryu within the last few hours and think he will end up pretty high tier. I haven't spent a lot of time with the others though.

D

Deleted member 269706

I think that the only character we can really place into the current tier list at this moment is Mewtwo. Now we have a general idea of the character's strengths and weaknesses, match-ups, and all that stuff. Even then, I hardly know where he belongs. It'll probably be a few months before we get accurate placement on these guys.

SpartBagelz

Smash Rookie
I think that the only character we can really place into the current tier list at this moment is Mewtwo. Now we have a general idea of the character's strengths and weaknesses, match-ups, and all that stuff. Even then, I hardly know where he belongs. It'll probably be a few months before we get accurate placement on these guys.
At first i felt like Mewtwo would be pretty powerful. However some of his moves seem to be made for specific purposes. Also he doesn't have the best combos or damage.

D

Deleted member 269706

At first i felt like Mewtwo would be pretty powerful. However some of his moves seem to be made for specific purposes. Also he doesn't have the best combos or damage.
Exactly, in terms of getting the kill, Mewtwo has almost no problem. Fsmash, Dsmash, Shadow Ball, Uthrow, and his Confusion and Disable move are great for set ups. But, he is a big target, and maintaining the momentum can be tricky for him. Since he's so light, he dies at earlier percentages, and doesn't have the frame data to always grant him safety. The more range in his attacks, the less damage they do, so altogether, I think he's very much in the middle of the tier list. To be clear, this is based off of (a) factual information as well as (b) opinions on what attributes are better than others, and (c) personal bias from playing as and against Mewtwo. This means you have every right to agree or disagree with this assumption

SpartBagelz

Smash Rookie
Exactly, in terms of getting the kill, Mewtwo has almost no problem. Fsmash, Dsmash, Shadow Ball, Uthrow, and his Confusion and Disable move are great for set ups. But, he is a big target, and maintaining the momentum can be tricky for him. Since he's so light, he dies at earlier percentages, and doesn't have the frame data to always grant him safety. The more range in his attacks, the less damage they do, so altogether, I think he's very much in the middle of the tier list. To be clear, this is based off of (a) factual information as well as (b) opinions on what attributes are better than others, and (c) personal bias from playing as and against Mewtwo. This means you have every right to agree or disagree with this assumption
I agree, another issue I have when playing as Mewtwo is his hit boxes. A lot of his kill moves are hard to land so you have to set up for them. This might just be me though. He has incredible air game though. The tail is a small risk big reward and can have follow ups and he even has a spike. Not to mention his crazy number of substitutes for jumps.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Man I can tell you that every DLC character besides mewtwo is top 20

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
Well when it comes to potential, Lucas, Ryu, and Roy all have TONS more than Mewtwo ever did. In terms of how much potential they have, I'd list the DLC charcters in this order:
4):4mewtwo:
3):4lucas:
2):4feroy:
1):4ryu:
Because of his different setups, combos, potential infinites, and his powerful punishes, Ryu has the most potential to be high tier. As soon as someone masters Ryu, he will completely change the way we look at smash characters. I could imagine Ryu getting a future nerf that wouldn't kill his gameplay, but would just fix something that could potentially be broken about him.

Top Bottom