• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

# DLC Predictions

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Has your prediction of how many DLC characters we are going to receive changed with the latest patch? I was VERY surprised to get three characters at once, especially seeing how much work went into both Roy and Ryu. I mean, I knew of the Roy and Ryu leaks, but figured they probably needed more balance testing or whatnot, and figured we were only getting Lucas today with Roy and Ryu just being announced.
At first, I thought no more than 10 DLC characters, but now I think we may end up getting 15+. This increases everyone's favorite character's chances of getting in.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
I think the Wii U character select has room for 8 more characters, so my guess is 12.
However, they could add more if they made the character icons smaller but still big enough to fit the cursors.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I still hold the belief of having no more than 10 DLCs, as I don't really think the number of characters will be more than 20% of the main cast, anything beyond would make the game without DLC look "incomplete" in a way.

Along with the proved lower limit of 6, I'll guess the choice is, by the geometric mean of then 2 possible limits, 7-8 characters.

For questions regarding Wii U CSS, that's not a problem for now as before we could max it, 3DS is currently already maxed out. If anything, the 3DS CSS will be managed first.

I've also done an analysis of how the 3DS roster icons can shrink, and had a conclusion of:
  • Changing the size a bit to make the icons line up as 7*8 instead of 6*9, giving 2 more slots, just enough for the last 2 until we meet minimum
  • Add one more column, which gives us 6 more slots, which imo is a bit too much (capped out my "upper limit"), but idk.
  • Any other size changes will either give us too many blank spots, make the shape too odd, and other stuff
So yeah, either just 6, or maybe 1 or 2 more.

Last edited:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
With new Starfox coming Wolf seems like a plausible choice. Another character will most likely be taken from Smash ballot results (they wouldn't just waste resources into a meaningless poll, wouldn't they?). And whether you like it or not, Pichu also stands a chance, for he is a) a veteran and therefore has fans and b) is relatively easy to implement for his clonish nature and c) pokemon is quite famous trademark, meaning that might sell well.

And about numbers, I think we'll get at least three characters, probably more.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
9 including the characters we have already. That would bring the roster total to 60 which I think is a good place to stop.

As for who I want as DLC, Wolf, K. Rool, Isaac, Andy, and Snake.

I think we will get about 7-9 (10 if we are lucky) characters (including the current ones). 1-2 would be pre-ballot (Wolf and some other character) and 2-4 would be ballot characters (K. Rool, Dixie, Isaac, Inkling and Bandana Dee being most likely ones in my opinion).

I personally want Wolf, K. Rool and Bandana Dee (and Ridley, but he has no chance). Isaac, Dixie, Chibi-Robo and Captain Toad would be cool as well if we get more than 2 ballot characters.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
We've got 4 at this point, would make sense if they gave us one or two in August with Tourney mode, and then another two to three ballot characters afterwards. So 8 total? ish?

Assuming they were able to adapt Brawl animations but had to basically rebuild Melee's, I've been thinking about how long it would take to make characters. I assume that they started Mewtwo and possibly Ryu at the beginning of November. Mewtwo was released April 15, so that's 5 months for him. Lucas, I assume was easier to do so they probalby started him and Roy as Mewtwo finished. Therefore, I think that the August character, if we get some, would be Wolf (easy to port) and/or another character they've been making since about March/April.

And if I got my way: Ridley, Wolf, K.Rool, and Squirtle. And for a really dream one - Replace Ganondorf with Black Shadow to bring in a new Ganondorf from Hyrule Warriors.

(and Ridley, but he has no chance)
I've yet to see any proof of NPC's keeping characters in or out, especially someone with a fanbase as big as Ridley. It'd be easy enough to take him off the stage - all star does it already - or just have him not show when Ridley's active. Besides, the Metroid fanbase needs some love after E3. I'm still supporting him, since anything is possible.

Last edited:
I've yet to see any proof of NPC's keeping characters in or out, especially someone with a fanbase as big as Ridley. It'd be easy enough to take him off the stage - all star does it already - or just have him not show when Ridley's active. Besides, the Metroid fanbase needs some love after E3. I'm still supporting him, since anything is possible.
I still support Ridley, but him being a boss and Sakurai's opinion about him made me lose hope for his inclusion.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
6 Pre-Ballot, 3-5 post-ballot.
My stance for Ballot fighters has held solid.
I'm not changing it unless Sakurai says we're done or we've hit 6.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Honestly, I'm surprised we even got this many downloadable fighters. At this point, I am expecting no more than three additional fighters. Like others, mine money is on Wolf; I'll be very surprised if he doesn't return. Other than him, I don't know whom to predict, since bluntly put, Sakurai is unpredictable to no end.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
If anything, it seems they're able to create characters faster than we thought they were. They've finished four of them in eight months!

While the characters themselves are difficult to predict, it seems likely we'll get more of them than many initially thought.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Wolf
Pichu
Young Link
6th FE rep
Snake
Chorus Kids
K. Rool
Isaac

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You want me to be perfectly honest? While I'd personally say 7 or 8 characters, I actually have absolutely no clue, every time I expect something from Mr. Sakurai it comes out completely different than I imagined.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
You want me to be perfectly honest? While I'd personally say 7 or 8 characters, I actually have absolutely no clue, every time I expect something from Mr. Sakurai it comes out completely different than I imagined.
Let's be real, Sakurai is probably enjoying "creating" DLC characters now, first it was "no DLC besides M2" to "You'e getting three fighters today!"

Bringing back the veterans is easy money for Nintendo cause that demands much less work than they probably did on Ryu.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
It's been 8 months since the Wii U release. Since then we have had 4 new DLC characters. NX is being announced officially E3 2016 with current speculated release of 2017. This likely means we are going to get no new DLC characters after June 2016. Of course we also have the proved lower limit of 6. I'd say between 6-10 is the most likely.

Personally, I think its going to be 7. Remember E3 2016 is NX and after that Wii U support will pretty much be non-existent save a few games so we only really have between now and then for content. They would want to save as many people as possible as new characters for a Smash 5 such as Inkling, I imagine a splatoon 2 (Splatwo? Splatwoon?) as a launch title for NX would be likely. I would say Wolf will return and 2 characters from the Smash Ballot. New characters do take a lot longer to do then Returning Vets. I imagine if Ryu wasn't a thing we could have have 2 vets return in the time its taken to make him (he is quite complex and obviously new/unique).

Anymore then 7 and you do risk the "Cut content/Not enough content" arguments.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am fairly optimistic that we will get Rayman and Wolf. Who knows about the rest. I keep hoping that Sakurai will bite the bullet and give us the Ice Climbers as well for only Wii U. The Wii U would have no problem running them.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
It's been 8 months since the Wii U release. Since then we have had 4 new DLC characters. NX is being announced officially E3 2016 with current speculated release of 2017. This likely means we are going to get no new DLC characters after June 2016. Of course we also have the proved lower limit of 6. I'd say between 6-10 is the most likely.

Personally, I think its going to be 7. Remember E3 2016 is NX and after that Wii U support will pretty much be non-existent save a few games so we only really have between now and then for content. They would want to save as many people as possible as new characters for a Smash 5 such as Inkling, I imagine a splatoon 2 (Splatwo? Splatwoon?) as a launch title for NX would be likely. I would say Wolf will return and 2 characters from the Smash Ballot. New characters do take a lot longer to do then Returning Vets. I imagine if Ryu wasn't a thing we could have have 2 vets return in the time its taken to make him (he is quite complex and obviously new/unique).

Anymore then 7 and you do risk the "Cut content/Not enough content" arguments.
We'll still have a good 2 years until NX comes out and I doubt a new Smash game will come anytime soon. Maybe 2019 to celebrate 20 years.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
We'll still have a good 2 years until NX comes out and I doubt a new Smash game will come anytime soon. Maybe 2019 to celebrate 20 years.
I wouldn't expect Smash to release until at least a few years into NX's life cycle either. However Wii U support is heavily dropping and has been for some time, as a result they will want to start winding down Wii U content and start ramping up NX content. If they drop too many new DLC characters into Smash 4 they will have somewhat of an impact on the new character lineup for Smash 5. Nintendo doesn't exactly create that many new IP with characters that could be considered. They already were scrapping bottom of the barrel when Doctor Mario and Dark Pit came in. Imagine if they added everyone in the top ten of the ballot. Who would be left for Smash 5 besides Doctor Luigi?

Sakurai is really tired at this point anyway and he has said there won't be too many more characters, so a couple more characters (up my current prediction of 7) now and then at least a year break off Smash stuff and then starting to think about characters for Smash 5 after NX comes out seems pretty reasonable to me.

10+ seems quite unreasonable, don't know how a number above 10 is even argued for.

Last edited:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
If you want my honest opinion, I think a total of 6 characters worth of DLC. 7 if we are lucky. I think Sakurai may have fun making DLC, but he is also tired. I hope he relaxes or gets a vacation soon. In the meantime, 2 or 3 more DLC characters is the limit I have in mind. Nothing more, nothing less. I am being honest here.

Top Bottom