• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldri

Smash Cadet
While I am hyped for Mewtwo, his reveal suggested that even more DLC characters may be on the way. Let's discuss the possibility of DLC features and characters!

(mods, if this isn't the right place, please lock).

First, the big question--is there more DLC, or is Mewtwo it?

Evidence for more DLC: Nintendo's past Mario Kart treatment, plenty of space on the CSS, the evidence in audio files for an in-game shop.

Evidence against: The time it takes to create new characters. It seems to be a huge undertaking. Furthermore, there's the risk of upsetting game balance.

Personally, I think there will be more DLC. As to which characters...

Characters who are DLC will probably serve two major purposes--being majorly popular so gamers will buy them, and helping sell other games. With that in mind:

Bayonetta. Will bring attention to Bayonetta on Wii U, is very popular.
Splatoon Character: Will hype the new game.
The missing member of the big 3, King K. Rool: Is popular, at least according to Smash boards. :p I'm not convinced he's as widely popular as others say, but maybe.
Isaac: Another one who's popular on the boards. While I think GS is kinda dead, he was popular enough to be an assist in Brawl and Camelot is mentioned in the credits. So maybe. (Don't take my tone as me not liking these guys--I want both!)
Snake: Obviously popular, has an established moveset

What do you guys think? Any characters you think are a shoe-in for DLC?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
:ivysaur:

(Irrationally hopeful crying begins) (Crushing disappointment likely)

Really would like to see Lucas come back. Dixe should be a non-clone newcomer. Anything is possible now though.

Mr G W

Smash Cadet
If the first DLC goes well and there is enough demand for more then hopefully we get to see some new (and old) faces in ssb4

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I would be shocked if there was no more DLC.

However I don't expect many more characters since they keep emphasizing how long it takes to develop even one. Maybe a couple of returning Brawl veterans along with Mewtwo and one or two newcomers much later next year.

Megane-for-Life

Smash Cadet
NNID
megane-for-life
3DS FC
0533-5491-3147
I think the one most likely to be brought with dlc would be the ice climbers. they were not top priority but they were started as sakurai said they ran pretty well on the wii u version.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
:ivysaur:

(Irrationally hopeful crying begins) (Crushing disappointment likely)

Really would like to see Lucas come back. Dixe should be a non-clone newcomer. Anything is possible now though.
Haha, I suppose we're both in the same boat. Though I lean more torwards Lucas, but Ivy was a real fun character too.

I kinda doubt it will happen though.
But I'd love to be wrong about this.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I think the one most likely to be brought with dlc would be the ice climbers. they were not top priority but they were started as sakurai said they ran pretty well on the wii u version.
Nope. If the Ice Climbers weren't supported by the 3DS now, they won't be in the future. Hardware can't be changed with a download.

Off to download more RAM.

On a serious note, hopefully all the veterans will get this treatment, even if their movesets aren't changed from before.

Last edited:

Spirst

Given the amount of time for each character to be made (provided it's an original moveset or mostly so), I don't expect there to be a whole slew of DLC characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I want to see all Veterans back except Ice Climbers(since they can't be on the 3DS), Young Link(outside of an alt, since they can't give him a Mask mechanic), Roy(we have a Roy, but maybe a special costume for Lucina or Marth that adds fire would be neat), and that's it. Pokemon Trainer could be his own character who fights now.

I think the factor that Ridley acts next to identical to a playable in any way gives us a tiny chance he could be playable someday. If not in this, in Smash 5.(I do consider the Wii U version to still be Smash 4, to note)

I want to see Isaac, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Sceptile, Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Impa and other potential upgrades like Tingle, Ashley, or Waluigi(not considering it likely, but eh).

GrandHc

Smash Rookie
I expect there to be a pack of some kind seeing as from the 3DS' sound files, we are missing a potential mode in smash world.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
We might get some character DLC, but seeing as they still haven't finished Mewtwo, it might take awhile. My DLC predictions:
(maybe) Bandana Dee or Isaac (since Ridley is deconfirmed)
Impa
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
I am happy dlc is a thing. Gives you something to hype about during the 7 year gap til smash 5. It does seem like dlc characters will take quite some time to complete.

あい3

Smash Rookie
NNID
AitoMarth
3DS FC
1693-3217-0339
But couldn't it actually be possible for the climbers to be in the 3DS version? I thought they weren't in due to how difficult it is to actually get them to work coupled with the time constraints.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I noticed something kinda interesting.

The original ESRB leak actually included Mewtwo, but he had a question mark over him. Just thought that was worth bringing up.

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
[QUOTEBut couldn't it actually be possible for the climbers to be in the 3DS version? I thought they weren't in due to how difficult it is to actually get them to work coupled with the time constraints.][/QUOTE]

It was more due to climbers taking too much processing power to run on 3ds to my knowledge.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I expect DLC, seeing as how Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors and even Mario Golf have gotten (or will have) DLC.

I think Mewtwo might be the only free DLC, followed by paid for DLC, just like Mario Kart 8 with the free Mercedes Benz DLC and then the paid for DLC packs.

The reason Sakurai might keep reiterating how long it takes to make a character, may be to brace players when we find out that the DLC is going to be a ways off. Again, going back to Mario Kart 8, the first DLC pack doesn't come out until 6 months after the game's release and the second DLC pack won't be until 1 year after.

I'm all for DLC characters, stages, music, items, anything. Nintendo has been doing a good job recently with DLC in terms of pricing, so I expect Smash Bros. DLC to be at reasonable prices as well, along with bundles for packs at cheaper prices.

Keep in mind, cut Brawl vets are going to be the easier to put into the game, whereas Melee characters would be harder. Of course, for Mewtwo, they figured it was a worth it, which is great. But I think this increases the odds of cut Brawl vets to return. I would even like to see a whole DLC pack that's for veterans, past stages, past items, past music. And then another DLC pack for all new stuff.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
If we are getting other DLC characters, I'm guessing that Lucas and Wolf are the most likely candidates at the moment.

linhgame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Linh-Game
3DS FC
1736-0779-8050
I want Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake back so badly and Wolf, Ice Climbers and Lucas for the fans. Roy and Pichu would nice to have back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom